U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 01:21 PM

3,681 posts, read 5,393,572 times

Advertisements

I recently read an article about the new Dora character, in which Mattel declared that it was geared to attract the 5 - 8 year old "tweens," who had outgrown the original Dora. I have been under the impression that the term "tween" was a new lingo word used to describe that period of time between childhood and adolescence/ teenage years, where kids are beginning to outgrow childish interests but aren't quite into being a teen yet and kind of fluctuate back and forth. I would assume that to represent say, 10 - 12 years??? What's with calling 5 to 8 year olds "tweens?" Methinks there are those who just plain want to do away with "childhood!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 01:24 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,432,807 times
"Tween" what? Toddlerhood and young lady-dom?? That's about it....

Give me a break.

Just another very bad marketing ploy directed at our kids....

Old 03-19-2009, 01:31 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,533,078 times
We're pushing little girls to grow up too fast. Tweens used to be 9-12. Now it is pushed back to 5-8. Just look at the clothes little girls have to wear.... up-your-butt-crack shorts at 5, padded halters at 8, thongs at 12.... yeah tweens at 5-8 sounds right for this day and age.... marketably speaking. My little girl won't be pushed int being a mini-grown up until she is emotionally ready, not in some toy manufacturer's timetable

Old 03-19-2009, 01:37 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,473,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
We're pushing little girls to grow up too fast. Tweens used to be 9-12. Now it is pushed back to 5-8. Just look at the clothes little girls have to wear.... up-your-butt-crack shorts at 5, padded halters at 8, thongs at 12.... yeah tweens at 5-8 sounds right for this day and age.... marketably speaking. My little girl won't be pushed int being a mini-grown up until she is emotionally ready, not in some toy manufacturer's timetable
I agree with your philosophy, however, little girls only wear those things because THEIR MOTHERS BUY THEM FOR THEM. Has nothing to do with marketing, and everything to do with parenting.

Tween IS 9-12. That age is beTWEEN being a little girl and a teen. 5-8 just doesn't fall into that category no matter how Mattel or anybody else wants it.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
I agree with your philosophy, however, little girls only wear those things because THEIR MOTHERS BUY THEM FOR THEM. Has nothing to do with marketing, and everything to do with parenting.

Tween IS 9-12. That age is beTWEEN being a little girl and a teen. 5-8 just doesn't fall into that category no matter how Mattel or anybody else wants it.
With the abundance of divorce and 50/50 custody... having no control over what happens in the "other household", it ain't just the mommas who buy these things and those who do often hide it from the daddies who disapprove of sexy-fying his baby girl. Add in the desire to be the favored parent and the kid can get whatever their heart desires just by saying.... Daddy will let me or at Mommy's house I can...

Old 03-19-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
With the abundance of divorce and 50/50 custody... having no control over what happens in the "other household", it ain't just the mommas who buy these things and those who do often hide it from the daddies who disapprove of sexy-fying his baby girl. Add in the desire to be the favored parent and the kid can get whatever their heart desires just by saying.... Daddy will let me or at Mommy's house I can...
That's true, but it's no excuse for buying that stuff. Parents need to grow backbones and stand up to their kids.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:06 PM

339 posts, read 1,352,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
I recently read an article about the new Dora character, in which Mattel declared that it was geared to attract the 5 - 8 year old "tweens,"
It could also be a simple as:

1 - the journalist who wrote the article is an idiot and misquoted someone

2 - someone at Mattel is an idiot and doesn't know what "tween" really refers to

Old 03-19-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaindow View Post
It could also be a simple as:

1 - the journalist who wrote the article is an idiot and misquoted someone

2 - someone at Mattel is an idiot and doesn't know what "tween" really refers to

If it is door #2.... that person won't be working for mattel too long.

BTW, I'd like to step on dora... anybody that happy and positive all the time just annoys the crap out of me. Why not show our little girls how to stand up for themselves, that the world isn't sunshine and rainbows, that it is okay to get pissed off?

Old 03-19-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
No, hold on. That's not you is it? Please say it ain't so.

Why would any parent care if they were the 'favored' parent? If that meant forsaking my standards of belief and kissing up to a child.. man, NO WAY. Just plain NO WAY. If I was going to be the favored parent, it would be because I was the BETTER parent.

Believe me, I've been in the position of having a child who went between my ex and me. I didn't play those games.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:17 PM

339 posts, read 1,352,802 times
I am wondering if someone can find a link to an article that actually says Mattel is gearing the new Dora doll to tweens where they define the age as 5-8 year olds? I am curious about this so I did a quick google search and scanned a few articles. All I've seen so far is talk of Mattel making a tween Dora version of the doll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting