Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 03:58 PM

43 posts, read 148,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
We were in that situation with both boys. One qualified for monitoring but no services.

What the therapist would do a lot of, and you can do on your own, is naming everything. Narrate your life. Narrate their life. Just talk, talk, talk. I am not a big talker and this is not easy for me, but it is something you can do even without the therapy.

If you can, I would do a follow-up in a year or 6 mos. My 3rd kid did not qualify at 18 mos. At 4y5m, I had him evaluated for the district preschool because of another need, and he qualified on speech. His articulation age was over 2 yrs behind his chrono age. He is currently finishing up Kindergarten and still has 22 phoneme errors. One of the reasons I did not take him back for further eval was I could understand him. Once you know him, he is fairly easy to understand. His SLP remarked earlier this year that he was the most understandable child she had heard that had 25 phoneme errors.

To sum it up, at some point the communication problem, if it continues, may not be that apparent to you because you can communicate with your child. Just something to be aware of because I was in your shoes.
Maybe we can follow-up in 6mos. if I feel she hasn't done enough improving by then, but if I wait a year, she'll be too old for their services anyway.

I agree with the talking, and know I should be doing it more, but it's hard (something I'll definitely have to work on).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 02:33 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,227,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
I have a 20 month old son who doesn't say anything yet not even mom or dad. I talked to his Dr. about this at his 18 mo. checkup and he was concerned about autism but after the preliminary questions and seeing him interact with him, he does not think he has autism, and that he's just taking his time to talk, not to worry. While I'm not too concerned because I have three other children and he has done every milestone before they did and is the least shy out of the 4, I wonder at what age I should be concerned. Anyone else with a late talker?

Ok. So it's ok to "compare" when the child in question is falling behind (or so you thought or were assuming) but when I believe my child MAY know alot of words compared to some other children I'm saying my child is better by comparing?

Sounds like a double standard.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:36 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,121,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
Ok. So it's ok to "compare" when the child in question is falling behind (or so you thought or were assuming) but when I believe my child MAY know alot of words compared to some other children I'm saying my child is better by comparing?

Sounds like a double standard.
Considering this is a thread where a parent is showing concern for the possibility of autism in her child, it's nasty for you to bump this up because of a petty argument you're having with her on another thread.

There's NO comparison in this case.

LOW BLOW.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:38 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,227,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
Considering this is a thread where a parent is showing concern for the possibility of autism in her child, it's nasty for you to bump this up because of a petty argument you're having with her on another thread.

There's NO comparison in this case.

LOW BLOW.

I considered that. Not valid however. They decided that the kid DIDN'T have autism

Old 05-01-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
I considered that. Not valid however. They decided that the kid DIDN'T have autism
You should have considered harder.

The thread clearly discusses the possibilities of what might cause speech delay - not only in the OP's child - but in others.

Your argument/comparison from your thread has nothing to do with this and was just an immature ploy to make a point (unsuccessfully at that) with the OP.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:53 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,064,854 times
Quote:
I have a 20 month old son who doesn't say anything yet not even mom or dad. I talked to his Dr. about this at his 18 mo. checkup and he was concerned about autism but after the preliminary questions and seeing him interact with him, he does not think he has autism, and that he's just taking his time to talk, not to worry. While I'm not too concerned because I have three other children and he has done every milestone before they did and is the least shy out of the 4, I wonder at what age I should be concerned. Anyone else with a late talker?
This brought back a memory. My niece (second born) used to just stand and look at people for the longest time when she was little. It was after she turned two that she finally started talking. She never said anything, just watched everybody. When asked a question, she would nod or shake her head, but never talked.

Now she is cleaning shark tanks in North Carolina. She graduated from college 4 years ago and has taught in environmental schools on Catalina Island and an island off the coast of Georgia.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:58 AM

650 posts, read 2,178,814 times
Quote:
I didn't read all the other posts, but I don't think you sould be worried just yet. Does your child have good receptive language skills? Some kids are just late talkers...

Old 05-03-2009, 11:18 AM

758 posts, read 1,871,401 times
That's what the Dr says, I had him in last week (21mos) and he said he is communicating just not talking, he will when he's ready. He said the biggest thing to worry about was autism and he was showing no signs of that so I guess we wait.

I'm trying more and more not to give him something when he points or grunts, I say "cookie"? about a half dozen times before I give it to him.

We call him the strong silent type because he's so physical but quiet!

Old 05-03-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
That's what the Dr says, I had him in last week (21mos) and he said he is communicating just not talking, he will when he's ready. He said the biggest thing to worry about was autism and he was showing no signs of that so I guess we wait.

I'm trying more and more not to give him something when he points or grunts, I say "cookie"? about a half dozen times before I give it to him.

We call him the strong silent type because he's so physical but quiet!
Our friend's son was the same way...he didn't verbalize but it was obvious that he understood everything he was asked. He finally started talking right around his 2nd birthday and he is a non-stop talker with a huge vocabulary. It was as if everyone aligned one day in his brain & something zapped into place. What's kind of interesting is that his parents weren't all that concerned - after 3 kids figured he would come into his own when he was good & ready. It was everyone else (grandparents, friends, etc...) who was stressing over the fact that all he said was "no" (in response to everything).

Old 05-03-2009, 12:38 PM

412 posts, read 938,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
Is he around other children or siblings? Sometimes the older child will do the talking for the younger.
That's apparently why my brother didn't talk until he was 2! I was 3 years older, and I could apparently figure out what he wanted. So, he didn't have to talk.

Now he's in his mid-20's, and he talks a lot.

Hopefully something similiar is going on with the OP's kid, and it's not serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting