Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 03:51 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I just finished a great book dealing with the topic...It's called The Color of Water by James McBride.

This is the biography of the author's white mother who married his black dad and how she coped with all the hatred from her family and society...
That is an outstanding book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 03:52 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
That is an outstanding book.
I just ordered it based on a recommendation on the book thread. Glad to hear so many people liked it!

Old 04-01-2009, 05:54 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,543,192 times
I would have no problems, but then I've been in an interracial marriage for 30 years (Caucasian/Asian). I will say that early on, we did get some stares, mostly from older people. Our parents were accepting and most people around their age and lower never displayed any problems with our relationship and we lived in a rural area at the time.

Currently our son's fiancée is Caucasian/Syrian and we just love her to death (we've told our son we're keeping her if she comes to her senses before the wedding and dumps him ). As others have said, it's the person, not the race, that's most important.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:42 PM

184 posts, read 132,512 times
i would not.but that is just me.but most of this interracial relationships are happening for wrong reasons.black guys were raised by black women who would tell them that white man is a "devil" and only way to get rid of the devil is to go after white women and that makes them rasist.only reason they date white women is because they belive they are devils who could give a birth to "white devil" and they want to stop that.white women that go with black guys are the ones who are angry or have been molested by their fathers.so they try to find a way tp hurt they fathers the way fathers hurt them.they tried by not listening or runnig away but it didn't work.then they say that dating black guys makes their fathers angry and hurt many white women do this and that what makes a interracial relationship wrong.white man who date black women especialy is the same.they were probably rejected by white women who choose black guys ovewr them so they disided to hurt them y dating black girls.so most of interracial relasionships were founded in hate and not in love.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:36 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
No problem whatsoever. Depending on their age (HS vs college and ostensibly more serious), I would be more concerned with relationships that were more significantly culturally different.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:55 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,146,708 times
I don't care if my daughter brings home a white, black, asian, purple, green(you get my point) or even another female as long as that person LOVES MY KID, treats her like a PRINCESS SHE IS and is a GREAT PERSON fine by me!!!!!!!!

Old 05-04-2009, 06:03 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gghhgg View Post
i would not.but that is just me.but most of this interracial relationships are happening for wrong reasons.black guys were raised by black women who would tell them that white man is a "devil" and only way to get rid of the devil is to go after white women and that makes them rasist.only reason they date white women is because they belive they are devils who could give a birth to "white devil" and they want to stop that.white women that go with black guys are the ones who are angry or have been molested by their fathers.so they try to find a way tp hurt they fathers the way fathers hurt them.they tried by not listening or runnig away but it didn't work.then they say that dating black guys makes their fathers angry and hurt many white women do this and that what makes a interracial relationship wrong.white man who date black women especialy is the same.they were probably rejected by white women who choose black guys ovewr them so they disided to hurt them y dating black girls.so most of interracial relasionships were founded in hate and not in love.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:03 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,699,993 times
Care less. I hope thats as "bad" as it ever gets for my kids in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casshern View Post
I have been doing research and it appears most parents would not be satisfied. Even though I know most of you say "I am not racist and I would not care at all" and "if they want to do it, it is OK" but seriously? However we are human and we really do not know how we will respond if that situation actually happens to them throughout there lifetime.

All honesty right now, if you had a daughter who is 16, and your 16 year old daughter brings a black man, who is the same complexion as Wesley Snipes, how would you really react as a parent? Instead of giving the politically correct answer, just think about how you would react at that moment.

In some cultures, they would literally disown their daughters them from the spot if a situation like that happens.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:16 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gghhgg View Post

???????

Old 05-04-2009, 01:37 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,316,601 times
I heard all the time growing up how I would not be allowed to date or would disowned if I married the following...black, native, non-christian, Catholic, long hair, tatoos, ect. By the time the list was done, I thought I'd be marrying an ever smiling manikin without personality, or an extermist, cultist, polygamist, neo-militant hick wife beater and I'd be spending my life very bored and lonely or worked to the bone, black and blue and too scared to leave.

I remember asking what was defined as long hair...if it touched the ears. Well my husband is tall, strong as an ox, his hair just touches his ears and he has tatoos, some of which he did himself. Though he doesn't have a tough guy attitude, he sure looks it. Guys we've know will say that they'd never want to make him mad, but I always laugh because he's the funny guy who avoids sticky situations even with me with something witty everytime.

My sister...well she married the back breaking hard working hick, only to leave him for....you guessed it..being abusive. And guess what, she's engaged to a black man now.

I really don't care who my children marry...different religion, different culture, different race, same sex...as long as I know they are happy and safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting