Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 07:07 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,480,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam82 View Post
Did you teach recently? The reason why I ask is because where I teach, they changed the law recently. You, the teacher now have to call yourself and make the report. It is not the principal's decision anymore. Of course, you should still let the principal and counselors know what is going on, still you the teacher make the decision (technically whoever the child told first makes the call and decision).
That really doesn't matter--I have knowledge of how complex family matters can be but do not choose to provide details. I rather assume that each school district would have guidelines which may vary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Generally a mandated reporter is immune from consequences for reporting any suspicions of abuse. But that doesn't mean that anything, no matter how hare-brained, that any child may say is grounds for legitimate suspicion--or that the mandated reporter has no moral duty to consider whether the allegation is actually reliable before calling.
You really have to be careful--that's all I know.

We live in a more violent world, thus Zero Tolerance, etc and kindergarteners have been suspended for bringing toys to school, children's drawings have been overanalyzed and teachers have lost their jobs for a wrong word.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 03-29-2009 at 07:39 AM..

Old 03-29-2009, 08:18 AM

901 posts, read 2,987,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Generally a mandated reporter is immune from consequences for reporting any suspicions of abuse. But that doesn't mean that anything, no matter how hare-brained, that any child may say is grounds for legitimate suspicion--or that the mandated reporter has no moral duty to consider whether the allegation is actually reliable before calling.
All I can say is that I would take a child telling me (s)he was being sexually abused very seriously. Of course you would ask a few questions about the situation. Still, I would report it.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:28 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,856,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam82 View Post
I was trying to help you understand that the therapist must report the suspected abuse and does not have to really search for proof. I hope you were not offended by my post. That was not my intention.

In actuality, none of us know what is going on because the poster only wrote one post. Now I do believe that the poster may have posted this just to get a strong reaction.

Although I wouldn't say that this is my area of expertise, I am a mandated reporter (all teachers are).
You are correct. A mandated reporter MUST report suspected abuse if they have "reasonable cause" to believe that the abuse has occurred. It is not up to us to determine whether or not it has occurred; that is the job of the state agency (CPS or whatever it's called in that state). There are protections written into the law for mandated reporters who report "in good faith" so that they will not be successfully sued by an angry parent or whatever. If the OP is not a troll and has indeed told a therapist about the alleged abuse, then it should have been reported. When in doubt, you should report. Better to err on the side of reporting too much vs. not enough.

Last edited by CMMom; 03-29-2009 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 03-29-2009, 09:06 AM

And, although this is correct--the issue is 'reasonable cause' and every school system has procedures which must be followed to determine this as do mental health professionals.

From the 'News'--I am under the impression that nationwide 'CPS' has monumental challenges.

What a ridiculous post--we can 'Report' this to the Forum Administrators --then they will have to investigate and make a decision.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:00 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,395,056 times
Exactly, sexual abuse is not a cut and dried issue, and becomes even more complicated in an incestuous situation. I don't know if you'll get any decent advice, or even comiseration here. I think that there should probably be some sort of incest group so that we can meet the issue head-on as a society and try to think of realistic ways to handle it. Anyway, I applaud you again for removing your daugher from the situation. Personally, I'm not sure how much therapy will help, but at least she'll know that the abuse was not her fault. I would really consider getting your mother help. You have kind of helped by not being silent, so maybe other relatives will not trust her with their children, but she needs to accept she has a problem, and get therapy herself and make sure she is not in a position of trust with children. Maybe you can discuss your brother's reaction with your therapist. They may be in denial now, but they should have the chance to attack you in public (or online, which I guess is the equivalent these days.)

Old 03-30-2009, 11:32 PM

598 posts, read 2,074,348 times
Well, in case you are not a troll -

Yeah, the therapist has to report it. Chances are, she already has. It is my understanding that an investigation will not always be done, particularly if there is/was insufficient evidence and no *current* children are at risk. It's a horrible system.

As for dealing with your siblings, well, you have to let that go. It's not easy to accept that your mother would do this and apparently they are choosing not to. If and when they ever come around, tell them that you'll accept them with open arms. Besides that, not much you can do now.

The biggest issue as I see it? Other children being at risk. This women can not have access to other children. That is the danger of not reporting it.

Pressing charges will not be fun. But try to imagine the children you may be protecting by doing so.

Also, do NOT re-establish a relationship with her. This women can NEVER, I mean NEVER, have access to your kid again.

Anyway ~ if you are a troll, disregard.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:23 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,532,809 times
Default Important subject anyway

I think in this case, it doesn't matter if this subject was started by a troll.

It's a very important subject and some very valuable imformation has been brought forth.

Sometimes we need to worry less about HOW a subject got started and more about it getting started.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Exactly, sexual abuse is not a cut and dried issue, and becomes even more complicated in an incestuous situation. I don't know if you'll get any decent advice, or even comiseration here. I think that there should probably be some sort of incest group so that we can meet the issue head-on as a society and try to think of realistic ways to handle it. Anyway, I applaud you again for removing your daugher from the situation. Personally, I'm not sure how much therapy will help, but at least she'll know that the abuse was not her fault. I would really consider getting your mother help. You have kind of helped by not being silent, so maybe other relatives will not trust her with their children, but she needs to accept she has a problem, and get therapy herself and make sure she is not in a position of trust with children. Maybe you can discuss your brother's reaction with your therapist. They may be in denial now, but they should have the chance to attack you in public (or online, which I guess is the equivalent these days.)
On a scale of 1-10--that would rank about a 10.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:24 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,395,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
On a scale of 1-10--that would rank about a 10.
EEK, I meant they should NOT have the chance to attack you in public. But maybe you have a point. Maybe the "attack" is a way for them to come to terms with the situation themselves...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting