Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 04:37 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times

Advertisements

i dont want my kids to be gay or straight.

i want them to be strong and respectable enough to be honest with themeselves. if they ended up gay, and told me, i would feel very proud that i armed them with the right tools to have a strong understanding of who they are.

and we are talking about 12 to 15 year olds. we did lots of stuff at that age. lots. i have attributed our adventures to growing up in an urban area. but who knows maybe kids on the farm were also doing the same stuff we were doing at 13.

kids notice what attracts them. it starts young. sure kids wont know what to do, but by 13 they have a pretty good idea. wait till your kids are about 12, or start hitting puberty. just wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Sure they do. My boys are too young to fathom it. They do notice girls in their class but the idea of noticing a boy is something they can't even imagine. The topic of gayness gets a blank stare from them. lol

Hey I'm just glad they like girls. No jab at gay people, but no one "wants" their kids to be gay, you gotta admit that much

But at 7 and 9, even if there were girls with them, they wouldn't know what do with them. They aren't at that level of maturity yet. At worst they'd challenge the girls to a video game and I could live with that.

Of course. And I wouldn't have them together either in their teens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 07:44 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01
I don't think you can be gay or know what it means when your that young.

Momma: I don't have a daughter and my oldest son isn't even in his double digits yet.
I had you confused with someone else. Sorry.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:14 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,968,861 times
as long as its her friend and not her " girl Friend" why should it matter?

Old 04-03-2009, 07:43 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
it is her girlfriend.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:23 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,064 times
Quote:
Sure they do. My boys are too young to fathom it. They do notice girls in their class but the idea of noticing a boy is something they can't even imagine. The topic of gayness gets a blank stare from them. lol

Hey I'm just glad they like girls. No jab at gay people, but no one "wants" their kids to be gay, you gotta admit that much

But at 7 and 9, even if there were girls with them, they wouldn't know what do with them. They aren't at that level of maturity yet. At worst they'd challenge the girls to a video game and I could live with that.
Innocense, ah, I remember those days. One day you'll notice a change in the air and you'll have a lot of explaining to do because your boys will have a lot of questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Stormy, your question doesn't have an easy answer. You know your daughter best, and if you think she and her friend are going to behave themselves, then it's your prerogative to trust her.
I appreciate that Julia. We're struggling with it, but I'm confident the right decision will be made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
It IS her girlfriend.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:53 PM

952 posts, read 3,705,202 times
The good news is...Nobody will get pregnant! .

Last edited by redwine; 04-04-2009 at 12:04 AM..

Old 04-04-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
She's my daughter, and yes, she is openly gay.

All you can do is support her and say no to a sleep over just as if she were straight and had a boy sleep over. UNLESS, this girl is just a friend. I mean, if you are worried about the sex thing then tell your daughter whats on your mind. That' s all you can do. You would have had the same concerns if she was straight so make that clear for her. She is young and live under your roof, so you set the rules. But you have to support her or you will loose her, believe me.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:13 AM

I never told my parents that I had sex for the first time at 16. I am curious how some parents just know this about their kids. How they just KNOW their kids are innocent little virgins. As a parent you think your kids tells you everything but they really don't. Most of them don't anyway. They keep the "private stuff" for themselves because they know it will upset you.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:45 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,698,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
All you can do is support her and say no to a sleep over just as if she were straight and had a boy sleep over. UNLESS, this girl is just a friend. I mean, if you are worried about the sex thing then tell your daughter whats on your mind. That' s all you can do. You would have had the same concerns if she was straight so make that clear for her. She is young and live under your roof, so you set the rules. But you have to support her or you will loose her, believe me.
That and how would the parents know what they were doing without barging in on them or literally being in the room with them the entire time?

I agree though.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:09 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
I never told my parents that I had sex for the first time at 16. I am curious how some parents just know this about their kids. How they just KNOW their kids are innocent little virgins. As a parent you think your kids tells you everything but they really don't. Most of them don't anyway. They keep the "private stuff" for themselves because they know it will upset you.
I appreciate that, however, my daughter and her girlfriend have never been alone anywhere to enable them to get any further than hugging and an experimental kiss. They thoroughly discuss every move they make, and my daughter and I have pretty open communication about everything. She would tell me (albeit, not in great detail or specifics), if she and her girlfriend went anywhere beyond the hugging and quick kiss.

It's actually quite beautiful watching them during their discovery of what a real relationship is, and how they handle themselves through that discovery. They're like babies taking their first steps together and I'm proud of them for being so sensible and not getting lost in the physical, passionate aspect of being in a relationship. Their primary focus has been communication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting