U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 12:24 PM

2,227 posts, read 2,321,262 times

Advertisements

I kept my kids rearfacing until 18mths and do agree that the longer the better. But I did want to comment on the height/weight debate. My 2yr old is a string bean and still easily fits the weight requirement for his Britax Roundabout but has outgrown it in height...sooooo...he can no longer ride in it, rf or otherwise. My 4.5yr old is only 39lbs but is nearly 4ft tall, she hasn't fit into her ff Marathon for quite some time, the only 5 pt harness that still fits her is the Regent or the Nautilus, but that's beside the point, you can outgrow in height first, its definitely possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 12:44 PM

2,477 posts, read 3,955,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
My original comment about height WAS about "bucket" seats as the OP was speaking generally of RF infants.
Well, the quoted article specifically states that "If an infant car seat is used, the infant should be switched to a rear-facing convertible car seat once the maximum height (when the infant’s head is within 1 inch of the top of the seat) and weight (usually 22 pounds to 32 pounds) have been reached for that infant seat as suggested by the car seat manufacturer." I think you'd be hard-pressed to find many 2-year-olds who could still fit in a bucket seat. Even my under-the-growth-chart peanut grew out of hers before 2, and we switched her to a convertible seat at that time so that she can remain RF. So if we're talking about a RF 2yo, then it's most likely going to be in a convertible seat where weight is a much bigger issue than height (for most).

I guess I was also confused because the post of mine that you responded to was that "If your child is too heavy or too tall for your bucket seat before 1 (or now 2) year old, then you should definitely buy a convertible seat. As stated above, your child is not going to be too tall for the convertible seat and still be under the weight limit for rear-facing, so height is not really a concern." I thought it was pretty clear that I was differentiating between the bucket seats and the convertible ones with regard to the height concern. I will accept though, that for convertible seats that only go to 40 pound FF, the chances are greater that height could become an issue. Mine goes to 65 pounds FF, so I don't think RF height restrictions would be a problem with it.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:49 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,631,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Well, the quoted article specifically states that "If an infant car seat is used, the infant should be switched to a rear-facing convertible car seat once the maximum height (when the infantís head is within 1 inch of the top of the seat) and weight (usually 22 pounds to 32 pounds) have been reached for that infant seat as suggested by the car seat manufacturer." I think you'd be hard-pressed to find many 2-year-olds who could still fit in a bucket seat. Even my under-the-growth-chart peanut grew out of hers before 2, and we switched her to a convertible seat at that time so that she can remain RF. So if we're talking about a RF 2yo, then it's most likely going to be in a convertible seat where weight is a much bigger issue than height (for most).
Ok. I'm over the debate and whatnot.

What do you do with a 2 year old then? My daughter is only 13 months and 19 lbs and 26 inches. When she is two, what criteria am I to use? Why does the carseat company have no clue what I'm talking about when I read this forum to them? Am I not to use the booster I baught for her to face forward when she is 2? I am to purchase yet ANOTHER $75 product for 6 months to a year? Why has Graco not heard that they "expire" in 6 years? If unopened? I'm too confused.

All I know is that I'm not even considering turniing my kid around until two years or she is at LEAST 30lbs, which doesn't look like the near future!

Old 04-03-2009, 12:59 PM

2,477 posts, read 3,955,288 times
No, you should not put a 2 year old in a booster. The recs for a booster are 4 years/ 40 pounds. Are you sure "booster" is the right term for what you have? Maybe you have a combination seat, which can be a regular forward-facing seat and then switch to a booster when the child is older.

You can put your child in a convertible seat, which will allow for RF or FF. My seat goes to 33 pounds RF and 65 pounds FF. My daughter will be able to stay in it for a very long time. Then she can switch to a booster later.

Carseats expire, it's true. It does not matter if they are unopened or unused. I have no idea why the Graco rep wouldn't be aware of it. The expiration date on my seat is on a little sticker on the back of the seat.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:06 PM

2,227 posts, read 2,321,262 times
Don't put your two year old in a booster. Its illegal in a lot of states and dangerous regardless. My 4.5yr old isn't in a booster yet, maybe this summer for quick trips but she'll stay harnessed for the most part.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:12 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,309,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
It has nothing to do with height and everything to do with weight. A good car seat will hold a child rear-facing until at least 33 lbs. Kids shouldn't be switched to ff before then.
I disagree.

If you're too tall OR too heavy, turn it around. If it's just based on weight, then you're saying fat kids are safer when facing front than skinny kids.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
No, you should not put a 2 year old in a booster. The recs for a booster are 4 years/ 40 pounds. Are you sure "booster" is the right term for what you have? Maybe you have a combination seat, which can be a regular forward-facing seat and then switch to a booster when the child is older.

You can put your child in a convertible seat, which will allow for RF or FF. My seat goes to 33 pounds RF and 65 pounds FF. My daughter will be able to stay in it for a very long time. Then she can switch to a booster later.

Carseats expire, it's true. It does not matter if they are unopened or unused. I have no idea why the Graco rep wouldn't be aware of it. The expiration date on my seat is on a little sticker on the back of the seat.
Maybe it's not a booster. I can't remember. It's at the P's house. Iknow it says up to 65lbs on it. I know it is forward facing. I know it has a back to it, not just a seat, I know it has a harness that buckles by the kids chest just like the RF one. I know it has it's own little arm rests. I remember picking it out because it I could use it anytime from birth ot 65lbs.

I'll have to look at it again. When I baught it they didn't mention the expiration of anykind. That kind of makes me mad. Target didn't say a damn thing and the one person I spoke to didn't know a thing either!

Old 04-03-2009, 01:46 PM

2,395 posts, read 4,050,794 times
Quote:
It has to do with the chemical properties of plastic. With time plastic will become brittle. An expired carseat will break more easily. I remember watching a test video of a 10year old car seat. The car seat broke right at the straps providing zero support.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:48 PM

2,395 posts, read 4,050,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
Maybe it's not a booster. I can't remember. It's at the P's house. Iknow it says up to 65lbs on it. I know it is forward facing. I know it has a back to it, not just a seat, I know it has a harness that buckles by the kids chest just like the RF one. I know it has it's own little arm rests. I remember picking it out because it I could use it anytime from birth ot 65lbs.

I'll have to look at it again. When I baught it they didn't mention the expiration of anykind. That kind of makes me mad. Target didn't say a damn thing and the one person I spoke to didn't know a thing either!

Boster seats do not have straps. The regular seat belt is used to strap the kid in.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Boster seats do not have straps. The regular seat belt is used to strap the kid in.

That's what I'm saying. I don't think it's a booster come to think of it. It has a harness and closes at the chest. It has a back. And I remember it saying it was good for the weight of like 30 to 100lbs. IDK. I'm looking into it. I have to call the company. Babys R Us will have to exchange it if I baught it early and it only lasts for 6 years! We won't even use it for another two years! They should have said that when I registered. I'm really pissed off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting