Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 11:13 AM

17 posts, read 39,787 times

Advertisements

My children are older now but I would not get their shots when they were sick because if they had a reaction to the shot(s), (my opinion) it may be harder to tell which if from the sickness and which is a reaction to the shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 11:16 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,227,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
I agree with bean about waiting. If she is sick why take the risk! Don't let your doctor bully you in to going against your mommy gut feelings. You know your child better than he does.

Have you considered not giving all 4 that she is due for at once even when you do go back? You could give HIB since you are concerned about it and spread out some of the others. That will decrease the risk of a reaction as well.

Good luck with a tough decision!

I never got the Hep B at birth. I'm going to wait until she is a highER risk person. Hep A is new this year in our area and I'm opting out. The Varicella is required for school so I'm waiting until she is in Kindergarten. I do want the HIB though. I was worried about that one because there was a severe outbreak in our area. She was already exposed to it with some family members and she never got it though. But I think she can be a carrier. I'm not so much worried about my healthy child getting the disease as I am her being a carrier.

If I don't get it today because of her cough and runny nose, I might not get it. I think it is a sign from somewhere

Old 04-09-2009, 12:04 PM

650 posts, read 2,178,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
I never got the Hep B at birth. I'm going to wait until she is a highER risk person. Hep A is new this year in our area and I'm opting out. The Varicella is required for school so I'm waiting until she is in Kindergarten. I do want the HIB though. I was worried about that one because there was a severe outbreak in our area. She was already exposed to it with some family members and she never got it though. But I think she can be a carrier. I'm not so much worried about my healthy child getting the disease as I am her being a carrier.

If I don't get it today because of her cough and runny nose, I might not get it. I think it is a sign from somewhere
Sounds like you've done your research! Go with your gut.

Just FYI (not judging, just offering info): Most people are carriers of HIB and it never causes a problem. It can be a scary disease but very rarely.

Vaccine choices are tough decisions. Good luck!

Old 04-09-2009, 12:11 PM

326 posts, read 1,301,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Tad View Post
My children are older now but I would not get their shots when they were sick because if they had a reaction to the shot(s), (my opinion) it may be harder to tell which if from the sickness and which is a reaction to the shot.

Some way I feel... my doctor has told me as well no vaccine if he is sick.
Good Luck!

Old 04-09-2009, 12:14 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,227,861 times
I think I'm going to skip them for sure. One last phone call to the hubby to make sure he's with me on this one!

I think I might just stick to the ones required by law when she is feeling better

Old 04-09-2009, 12:40 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
I would wait until they are better. While not a human example, the results are pertinent. We lost two dogs to cancer shortly after receiving their shots. The shots didn't cause the cancer. What they did was knock out their immune systems, allowing the cancer to spread more rapidly. Had we known about the cancer before, we'd have skipped the shots and the would have lived for 6 months to a year more.

Vaccines do the same thing to humans, so you'd be giving the illness a chance to linger, possibly developing into something worse. Waiting a few days or a couple of weeks for your kids to get better before giving them shots shouldn't endanger them.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:58 PM

153 posts, read 689,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
Sounds like you've done your research! Go with your gut.

Just FYI (not judging, just offering info): Most people are carriers of HIB and it never causes a problem. It can be a scary disease but very rarely.

Vaccine choices are tough decisions. Good luck!
Are you sure you don't mean Hep B when referring to chronic carrier status? Since HIB is a bacterial infection - and a very scary one - I didn't think one could be a chronic carrier, but I'd be interested if that is not the case.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:05 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,859,032 times
I too say to wait. I would go ahead with the well baby check and see if everything is okay otherwise. You can always reschedual the shots.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:05 PM

650 posts, read 2,178,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben52284 View Post
Are you sure you don't mean Hep B when referring to chronic carrier status? Since HIB is a bacterial infection - and a very scary one - I didn't think one could be a chronic carrier, but I'd be interested if that is not the case.
From what I have read, MOST people carry the HIB bacteria in their nose all the time without any issues whatsoever. HIB is only scary if you develop secondary infections from it.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:33 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,151,520 times
My youngest is nearly 14 months and didn't get her shots because at her 1 year appointment, she had a pretty serious cold, along with a slight fever. I hadn't heard anything about not vaccinating when your child is ill, so it was the doctor who told me about waiting. I love our doctor...she is not one to automatically go for the pharmaceuticals and she talked with me at length about my nervousness over the MMR shot. She has babies of her own so her advice is always appreciated and readily accepted by me.

What she told me is that they vaccinate when it's just sniffles and a clear, runny nose. A lot of that is allergies, sometimes teething, or sometimes just drainage. When the stuff in the nose is yellow or there is coughing (or other definitive signs of a true cold or illness), it's better to wait. There just simply isn't a good reason not to, but you don't want to be the hypochondriac parent either who reads more into symptoms than is there.

Incidentally, when we went back in for the shots, it took just a few minutes since we didn't need to see the doctor again. We also weren't charged for 2 visits...only the first one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting