Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 07:46 AM

758 posts, read 1,866,678 times

Advertisements

I took my 10 soon to be 11yr old son for a haircut and he throws a fit everytime. He wants to keep it longer, I don't mind if he keeps it long but I've told him if he's not going to brush it I'm gonna cut it. When do you think boys start taking hygiene upon themselves? At nearly 11 it doesn't seem like I should have to harp on him to brush his hair or teeth or take a bath etc...

I have zero experience with boys, no brothers or anything and his father doesn't seem to know either. How much longer do I have to look forward to this kind of thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 07:50 AM

515 posts, read 1,326,857 times
I don't see what the problem with longer hair is.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:53 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,356,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry251 View Post
I don't see what the problem with longer hair is.
The OP has no problem with longer hair either.....as long as the boy in question takes appropriate care of it. I think that is a reasonable postition. If he is old enough to select his own hairstyle, he is old enough to maintain it. An 11 yo is certainly old enough to take care of his personal hygiene - hair should be reasonably clean and combed....

To the OP, I have a son but we've not had too much problem in the hygiene area....I do occasionally notice his toenails need trimming and I will say to him "either trim them or paint them pink"....just as a jokey reminder but he does it. He went through the longer hair thing for awhile but he plays sports so his head just got too hot under various helmets so that didn't last too long. Some of his friends have longer hair but I haven't noticed anyone's being unkempt or dirty.....

Old 04-16-2009, 07:54 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,959,195 times
Cherry, she said that she does not mind if it's longer, as long as he keeps it brushed.

My son is 8, and he hates having to take a shower, and argues about brushing his teeth. He has of course been bathed or required to bathe since infancy, and required to have his teeth clean since he has had teeth, so I'm not quite sure what the problem is. My brothers went through a "stinky" phase as well. I don't remember how old they were, though, or when they grew out of it.

I think it's normal for them to want to be dirty for some reason, or at least not uncommon, but I think you have a good rule... if he's not going to keep it brushed, then chop the hair off. Then again, having a matted mess on his head might be a good "natural consequence" for him....

My guess is that by the time he starts getting interested in girls, he will be falling over himself trying to stay clean and showered. Of course, he could be into his teens by the time that happens... some boys are late bloomers in that department!

Old 04-16-2009, 07:57 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,742,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
I took my 10 soon to be 11yr old son for a haircut and he throws a fit everytime. He wants to keep it longer, I don't mind if he keeps it long but I've told him if he's not going to brush it I'm gonna cut it. When do you think boys start taking hygiene upon themselves? At nearly 11 it doesn't seem like I should have to harp on him to brush his hair or teeth or take a bath etc...

I have zero experience with boys, no brothers or anything and his father doesn't seem to know either. How much longer do I have to look forward to this kind of thing?
Give it another year or so. Once he discovers girls you won't be able to pry him out of the bathroom.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:58 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,333,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
How much longer do I have to look forward to this kind of thing?
Until he discovers girls; and then you have a whole other set of problems on your hands.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:22 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,054,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Give it another year or so. Once he discovers girls you won't be able to pry him out of the bathroom.
How very true that is.

What I have found disturbing, is my daughter is a sophomore, and she talks about the freshmen from time to time. She had been homeschooled and this is her first year back to school. She says that a lot of freshmen don't shower or clean themselves. There is a boy she thinks hasn't had a shower all year. There are some who wear the same clothes, dirty or not, to school every day. We live in an affluent area and you'd think those kids would have a better grip on what it is to be clean.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:43 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,874,831 times
I have a similar aged boy and its the same thing. My 7-yo girl is much better about her personal hygiene.

No advice, just in the same boat. We have the hair thing too. He's about to get a buzz cut again if he does not start combing it more often.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:03 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,554,597 times
With my boys they kept their hair combed/brushed or they got a buzz cut. It wasn't open for discussion..Geez, I had one that would wash his hair 3 or 4 times a day. He was white headed and it drew him a lot of attention and he knew it.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:05 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,267,792 times
My oldest (15) wants the longer hair too. poor boy has thick hair.... lot of thick hair.... and two crowns. He ends up looking like a mushroom head who walked out so that every cow in the pasture could have a lick. While he keeps it reasonably neet, he doesn't "style" it at all... more like plull a comb through to get the knots out and then lets it fall where it may. So we have a compromise. He can have the longer hair, but it has to be cut with layers in it to help keep the mushroom head appearance.

As for keeping it clean... getting AXE or the generic version may help. and you'll have to still stay on top of him.... Oldest is 15.... I still have to remind him to take care of hygeine every now and again... our youngest boy is all about his routine so I'm hoping he will be easier to deal with when he gets into that stage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting