Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 04:45 PM

756 posts, read 2,219,019 times

Advertisements

I agree this teacher should not have her students as her Myspace friends. Could your friend talk to her and tell her it's inappropriate and not a good idea? If not, I think it would be best to go directly to the principal and let them handle it. I would not wait for a parent to find out or gossip about it with other parents or teachers. I doubt your friend would need to worry about losing her job over talking discreetly to the principal about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 04:46 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,614,645 times
So are you saying this is elementary aged kids and not high school? It didn't even occur to me it might be elementary aged...those kids have no business being on myspace at ALL, irregardless of what the teacher is doing! Yikes.

At this point, I'd have no trouble emailing a link of the page directly to the principal if I were you. And I do mean you, not your friend. If it's still there in a week, then email it to the administration. I imagine it would be gone instantaneously with the first email though.....

Old 04-20-2009, 05:01 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,161,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Just got a phone call from a very close friend. She doesn't have myspace or facebook and no kids (recently married and no kids yet). Anyway, at the school she works in it has come to light to a few that a teacher has a myspace and is "inviting" students to become her "friends" on it. How would you react? Do you call the teacher if it were your kid was involved (being I'm not the students parent this doesn't really matter to me in this case)? The principal? The school board? The media? Or just go hang the teacher? I'd probably go hang the teacher if I had a kid in this persons class

I'm just glad this is not even in MY state much less city. whew........
I think it's inappropriate. That said, I have seen many teachers use blogs in which they communicate with their students, but the blogs I have seen have been strictly academic in nature -- students communicating about (for example) books on a reading list in which they discussed the books' themes and content.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:30 PM

901 posts, read 2,987,807 times
I too think it is innapropriate. If the content is indeed about drinking and the teacher's personal life, then it's not okay. I keep my professional life seperate from my personal life. I never mention my bf to my children, despite the fact that we've been together for over 2 years.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:45 PM

475 posts, read 1,304,923 times
I am a high school teacher who has a facebook account. I personally would never invite a student to be my friend nor will I accept friend requests from my students(untill they graduate) However, there are plenty of teachers who do accept students as friends and I think it's fine provided the teacher does not have innapropriate material posted to their account.

Although I know your not a parent, If parents are concerned about what their kids do online I suggest they get their own account and require their kid to add them as a friend, then they can see who their kid is friends are and what they are doing online.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:16 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,511,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickchick2000 View Post
I am a high school teacher who has a facebook account. I personally would never invite a student to be my friend nor will I accept friend requests from my students(untill they graduate) However, there are plenty of teachers who do accept students as friends and I think it's fine provided the teacher does not have innapropriate material posted to their account.

Although I know your not a parent, If parents are concerned about what their kids do online I suggest they get their own account and require their kid to add them as a friend, then they can see who their kid is friends are and what they are doing online.
Unfortunately for parents, Facebook application settings are so sophisticated that the children can block their parents from seeing their postings. You can specifically block "friends" from your wall & pics. I'm not familiar with how MySpace works. Also, if that teacher has a pic that they'd prefer students not to see & they get "tagged" in the pic...it goes to their whole friend list & they cannot do anything about it except contact the person who tagged them. Current students + teacher + Facebook for social reasons = disaster

Another reason why children should not have computers in their bedrooms & the computer should be in view of mom & dad. Doesn't solve all the problems, but it does keep it down some.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:00 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Most of you people are stark raving nuts. There is absolutely nothing illegal about teachers communicating with students on myspace or facebook. There probably is not even a specific policy about it in the school district. Are you people misreading "myspace" as "copulation" or something?

If I were a teacher I wouldn't add students, but only because of the prevalence of the sort of hysteria that infects this thread.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:01 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
WOW!!! Glad your not a teacher.

Anyway, while talking to my friend last night she did say that they were specifically TOLD this year and last year to NOT have a myspace or facebook that is AVAILABLE TO THEIR STUDENTS! For one this is ELEMENTARY AGED KIDS! Kids. So YES THERE IS A POLICY ON IT IN MOST SCHOOL DISTRICTS BELIEVE IT OR NOT! And for good cause. Too many teachers and improper actions between teachers and students have caused this and it is the school district TRYING to protect themselves, their students and the teachers. When a teacher is this nuts they need to be stopped. This teacher has overstepped the boundries. It's not like she is helping out a student that is having a rough time at home with a bad family situation. She is openly talking about drinking and other things on her site that is not set to private and INVITING her students in. THAT IS WRONG!

Anyway, my friend is going to speak to someone in the next few days with the district about this situation that she is comfortable talking to.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:30 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,394 times
If the teacher is not actually drinking with the kids, or otherwise engaging in or promoting illegal/imoral activities with the students... I don't see the problem.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:37 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
If the teacher is not actually drinking with the kids, or otherwise engaging in or promoting illegal/imoral activities with the students... I don't see the problem.
Okay in other words give her the benefit of the doubt untill you find her in bed with your son or daughter ? Is that your method of dealing with this ? she is a teacher and she should have some morals and not even be dealing in a facebook or myspace account . that is what the telephone is for to deal with parents and communicate with the parents about what is happening with their kids . Nope , I am with the other parents on here who said no myspace and no facebook . there is just too much that can go on behind parents backs . I mean the news has already proved that look at all those teachers that have already slept with students !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting