Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 11:55 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
How old are you? Do your parents know you are on the internet?
LOL!! Best post yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 12:04 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
I do know that teachers have lives outside of school. My own sister is a teacher and most of my friends are teachers. My kids know they teach and yet we have huge get togethers and they will have a drink. We are ADULTS! We aren't giving the kids alcohol though. Same goes for everyone else that is an ADULT. We all have professional lives and personal lives. Sometimes the two can mix a lot better than other times and most of the time that depends on the career.

My kids have bank accounts. I'd be more than a little ticked if someone from the bank started talking or approaching my children OUTSIDE of the banks walls on a PERSONAL LEVEL! Then there is their Sunday School Teachers. I've taken the time to get to know them and their families as well as knowing who my kids friends are and THEIR parents and yes we DO call each other and verify the kids "plans". Many times we all end up being friends (the adults). However, if one of the kids parents started chatting online or calling my child........... I'd be more than a little ticked. If the Sunday School teacher wanted to do an activity with just my child, Um, NO! There is NO REASON that a GROWN ADULT needs to have an online conversation or friendship with a child that is not their own. And not just online but phone calls, outings, etc. NO WAY!

Old 04-22-2009, 02:19 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Do adults actually still use the word retarded in this context?
No other word sufficed. It's a view suitable to the mentally challenged.

Quote:
No, I don't want my child to have adult friends of Facebook unless they are family- or at least VERY close family friends. I don't see how that's odd.
Your child shouldn't be on Facebook at all until he or she is 14, at which point it shouldn't matter who their online friends are.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:20 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
How old are you? Do your parents know you are on the internet?
33, and none of your business, cretin.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:03 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post

Your child shouldn't be on Facebook at all until he or she is 14, at which point it shouldn't matter who their online friends are.
Really? Do we suddenly give up our parental responsibilities when our children turn 14?

I'll answer my own question. NO, that would be ridiculous. I wouldn't let my 14yr.old have adult friends on fb or anywhere else because any adult who wants to have 14 yr.old friends is...well...retarded.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:47 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post

"Retarded" and "stupid" mean two different things. A person who is "retarded" may have varying levels and types of retardation. You should at least try to be more specific, but you may just be linguistically challenged.

I would never allow a CHILD under 14 to be on FB, and I don't believe they should have adult 'friends' until THEY are adults...18.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:56 PM

901 posts, read 2,987,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I would never allow a CHILD under 14 to be on FB, and I don't believe they should have adult 'friends' until THEY are adults...18.
Let's not get overly dramatic with the "adult" friends issues. My BF is 29 and his good friend is 26. They've known each other for a long time. When BF turned 18 and his friend was "only" 15, they didn't end their friendship.

There's definately something wrong with grown people all of a sudden reaching out to young children for friendship (Micheal Jackson anyone?). But you can't say that all people 18 and older should cut themselves off from everyone who is not technically an adult. It's called looking at things from a case by case basis. A lot of CD users have a hard time with this concept.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:05 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,511,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam82 View Post
Let's not get overly dramatic with the "adult" friends issues. My BF is 29 and his good friend is 26. They've known each other for a long time. When BF turned 18 and his friend was "only" 15, they didn't end their friendship.

There's definately something wrong with grown people all of a sudden reaching out to young children for friendship (Micheal Jackson anyone?). But you can't say that all people 18 and older should cut themselves off from everyone who is not technically an adult. It's called looking at things from a case by case basis. A lot of CD users have a hard time with this concept.
A teacher-student relationship has implied boundaries.
It is completely different than two kids who have been friends all their life.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:22 PM

901 posts, read 2,987,807 times
Quote:
A teacher-student relationship has implied boundaries.
It is completely different than two kids who have been friends all their life.
I've already stated at least twice that the situation where the teacher invited students to a personal page was inappropriate. The post you quoted was about the blanket statements people make such as an "adult" cannot be friends with someone who is not an "adult"

Old 04-22-2009, 09:15 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam82 View Post
I've already stated at least twice that the situation where the teacher invited students to a personal page was inappropriate. The post you quoted was about the blanket statements people make such as an "adult" cannot be friends with someone who is not an "adult"
That's where a parent steps in. I would be fine if my 17 year old were friends with a 19 year old they had been in school with for years. I would NOT be ok if she were friends with a 30 year old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting