U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 10:55 AM

12,157 posts, read 10,784,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skchi View Post
I agree that a friendship between a 17 year old and a 30 year old would normally be odd, because a 17 year old and a 30 year old wouldn't normally hang out in the same social circles. However, in this situation, they worked together. I guess they became friends at work.

I don't know about you, but I've made some unexpected friendships at work, with people that are a lot different than me.
Yeah, I started working when I was 15 and I met lots of different people. When I was a file clerk at a doctor's office, everybody else there was at least 5 years older than me but I still had a great time and am in touch with some of them now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Just got a phone call from a very close friend. She doesn't have myspace or facebook and no kids (recently married and no kids yet). Anyway, at the school she works in it has come to light to a few that a teacher has a myspace and is "inviting" students to become her "friends" on it. How would you react? Do you call the teacher if it were your kid was involved (being I'm not the students parent this doesn't really matter to me in this case)? The principal? The school board? The media? Or just go hang the teacher? I'd probably go hang the teacher if I had a kid in this persons class

I'm just glad this is not even in MY state much less city. whew........
As far as the OP, since it was an elementary school teacher the kids shouldn't be on Myspace or Facebook anyway and if I felt that uncomfortable about it, I would have just said something to the teacher and expressed my concerns. Then if I still felt bad after that, I'd probably ask for a conference with the teacher and the principal about the matter. Hanging the teacher without talking to her first is just kinda stupid...why would you call the media before you go to the school? Unless you don't have any kind of semblance of a relationship with the teacher, then I'd have to wonder why you're even concerned in the first place. I mean you got underage kids on social networks and you don't have a line of communication with the teacher - what kind of parenting is going on there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 12:25 PM

38,755 posts, read 39,209,389 times
I absolutely see no problem whatsoever with the principle of the thing. How the teacher behaves on the site is likely to reflect the way the teacher behaves at school.

When I was in high school, there were several of us who lived in such a neighborhood that we found ourselves walking to school at the same time, along the same street, as our English/Latin teacher. So we all walked together, almost every day, and talked mostly baseball with teacher, but sometimes Roman history, or the difference between brands of peanut butter.

Teachers are regular human beings, the same as kids are. They're not strangers. they know each other. There is nothing inherently evil or psychopathic about teachers, that it is necessary to keep them under constant watch, and lock them in their dungeon when they are not on the clock.

There are school age kids on City-Data forums, exchanging ideas with adults. What would it matter if an adult they exchange ideas with on line is their teacher?

Old 05-03-2009, 12:41 PM

1,986 posts, read 2,477,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
Just because she has a myspace does not make her a pedophile. I have a friend who is a teacher in a high school and has a facebook and her students are her friends on it. It's her way of checking on them to make sure they aren't getting in trouble. Before everyone jumps to conclusions, find out the facts.

2 of my children have myspace and facebook accounts. I know all the passwords and monitor...when it comes down to it, parents are responsible for your kids computer access.
Nobody is suggesting only pedophiles frequent myspace and facebook. In my opinion, it is inappropriate for a teacher to be friends with students on those networks. It's really none of the teacher's business what is on a student's facebook page, who their friends are and what they post. Myspace as well.

I would have strong objections to a teacher befriending my 15 year old on facebook. She doesn't do myspace.

A teacher in the neighborhood is different than communicating over the internet on a more personal level.

Besides, it would put the teacher in an ackward position with students knowing personal information on the teacher from the teacher's page.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post

Besides, it would put the teacher in an ackward position with students knowing personal information on the teacher from the teacher's page.

Wait a minute. Do yo think the teacher is inviting the students to view her own personal page, the same one that she shares with her family, and the same one she shares with her paramours?

Obviously, no teacher in her right mind would do this, without creating a special page that is structured to be appropriate for her students.

Just because the manager of my apartment bulilding puts out a folksy little newsletter every month for the residents, doesn't mean that we all get lurid peeks into her personal life.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:00 PM

1,986 posts, read 2,477,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Wait a minute. Do yo think the teacher is inviting the students to view her own personal page, the same one that she shares with her family, and the same one she shares with her paramours?

Obviously, no teacher in her right mind would do this, without creating a special page that is structured to be appropriate for her students.

Just because the manager of my apartment bulilding puts out a folksy little newsletter every month for the residents, doesn't mean that we all get lurid peeks into her personal life.
A newsletter in print is different that talking to kids on a private level with a teacher on the internet. What purpose would a teacher have to have a page strictly for students? Way too wierd for my taste either way. As a parent, I do not think it's appropriate.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:44 PM

12,157 posts, read 10,784,935 times
Quote:
A newsletter in print is different that talking to kids on a private level with a teacher on the internet. What purpose would a teacher have to have a page strictly for students? Way too wierd for my taste either way. As a parent, I do not think it's appropriate.
I know a lot of high school teachers that have Myspace pages. One of my coworkers teaches Drama at a high school and she has one just for that - mostly it just pictures from previous plays and announcements for upcoming plays but she also has links to other plays and reminders about movies or events that she mentioned during class. She also puts suggested readings or reviews for tests and quizzes - I know she hands out the same info in class but she links her myspace page to online practice tests and such. I remember her talking about a heated online debate over the whole Shakespeare/Marlowe theory. The kids were bickering back and forth, posting links to back up their claims, etc. If it's one thing kids know how to do these days it's Google.

When I was in high school (before the myspace craze) my band teacher had a geocities page and we would all go on there post pictures and sign the guest book, etc. I don't see anything wrong with it as long as it's appropriate and the teacher monitors it closely. Newsletters are pretty much for parents only these days.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:35 PM

17,117 posts, read 12,436,862 times
I see nothing wrong with a HS teacher's having a facebook page involving his/her students. I think a HS teacher would still need to exercise good judgement and have a separate one for students and a personal one for his/her own social life. My kids HS has a website (newsletters in print - not anymore. Grades don't even come in print anymore) but I would imagine that while you might get a few pictures of a theater production, band concert, foreign trip etc etc put on the school website, many teachers would like to expand that a bit more and have more control over what got included. A teacher facebook would provide that.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:16 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,248,774 times
Default These days every school should have a Web site and...

Every classroom should have its own Web page with an e-mail address where teachers and students and parents can communicate. Our school district has developed a comprehensive Web site and it serves as a valuable information hub.

Parents can find out about weekly assignments, curriculum, special projects, etc. There is also a code you can use to access your child's grades (information is updated weekly). Everything is listed from after school activies info to schedules for all of the sports teams. It's a great resource, especially for busy parents who want to be able to drop a teacher an e-mail whenever they have time.

I prefer this to Facebook, because it provides little opportunity for inappropriate information to flow back and forth. My dd does not need to see photos of her teacher's boyfriend or know what they did this weekend.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Umm - - - to address appropriate teacher-student matters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting