U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 09:29 PM

3,042 posts, read 7,940,832 times

Advertisements

start with church, take them to tea, teach them to cook, bake and how to say yes ma'am no sir, to make a nice sweet tea, to be kind to all people, to put others before self, to love SEC football, to squel Biilllllly, i am gonna tell muh daddddy, to to know what jr league is, to make a mean banana pudding,
to know what the daughters of the confederacy are, to dance the shag, to know that the 3 great cities of America are NOT NY, Chicago and LA but Charleston, Atlanta and Richmond, to know the difference between memphis and carolina bbq, to sing the old Hymns, to know all the words to Dixie, to know the dates of the Masters, the Kentucky Derby and the Darlington 500, to shop at Niemans in Highland park, to marry a nice boy from a good but not necessarily rich family, to never curse in public, to go to Ole Miss, UGA, U Alabama or Texas A&M, to call her brother bubba, to love her daddy, to never go beyond 1st base before marriage-even if she is Knee walking drunk, to join a proper sorority, visit at least one confederate battle site-fort sumter, and LOVE GRITS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 10:13 PM

3,684 posts, read 10,841,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
And then do not forget the VERY most important rule of ALL good Southern women. Always be in charge. There is a very fine art of knowing how to make the man in your life feel that he is the one in control when in fact it is the wife.
I love this one!. I have to say though that they do this in NYC too...LOL

Old 03-09-2009, 06:36 AM

25,455 posts, read 23,279,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellady View Post
I am trying to teach my 3 daughters how to be southern women from the old days can any one help
Why would you want to make them into something they may not be? Why not allow them to be who they are and more or less, develop their own Identities. I have a real problem with mother's who condition their daughters to be who they are not....maybe live out their own dreams through their children?

I know a women whose husband says, My wife tries very hard to make a lady out of our Daughter?????

Why? Why not allow the child her own identity??????

Eticate is a good thing, but not to the point that you condition your children to be manipulative...like the other woman said, learning how to make your husbands think they are in charge when in fact the wife really is? Sheeesh?????

and unfortunately, some men morph into being exactly who they think their wives want them to be, instead of being who they are?

When are women going to stop playing stupid games and allow their husbands their own individuality?

They trick them into marriage, and then begin to reform them, or for a better choice of words, live someone else's idea of what a marriage should be.

Very sad..

Old 03-09-2009, 05:17 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,522,436 times
Being a lady of the south is not all about snagging a husband. It is about living proper and having manners. It is confused with the ability to get your man to do what you want because back in the day, women had no power. Women had to work the system. Nowadays, things are different and women can be respected for who they are.... not who their husband is.

I assume the poster wants her daughter to be proper young women. There aren't classes that teach honor and strength. There are classes on ettiquite, manners, dress, social mannerisms, and all the things that make a lady.... a lady. But honor is something the family must teach, by example. Strength is something that must be taught and nurtured in a young lady, again, by example. If you want your daughters to behave like the traditional southern lady, you need to lead them by example. A southern lady is not something you can order up like sweet tea on a hot summer day.... it is something that needs to be cultivated like a fine wine.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:14 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,030,761 times
You also could look at a school like the sacret heart academy in Grand Coteau: Louisana that has been in operation since 1836.Girls can even bring their horses when they go there.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:29 AM

25,455 posts, read 23,279,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
Being a lady of the south is not all about snagging a husband. It is about living proper and having manners. It is confused with the ability to get your man to do what you want because back in the day, women had no power. Women had to work the system. Nowadays, things are different and women can be respected for who they are.... not who their husband is.

I assume the poster wants her daughter to be proper young women. There aren't classes that teach honor and strength. There are classes on ettiquite, manners, dress, social mannerisms, and all the things that make a lady.... a lady. But honor is something the family must teach, by example. Strength is something that must be taught and nurtured in a young lady, again, by example. If you want your daughters to behave like the traditional southern lady, you need to lead them by example. A southern lady is not something you can order up like sweet tea on a hot summer day.... it is something that needs to be cultivated like a fine wine.
That, I totally agree with, but what I don't agree with is the poster that suggests manipulative training tactics to make a man "think" he is the head of the house hold. That, for me, hits a very sensitive spot...I cannot stand manipulative women who care only about results and not feelings.

Thank you for your explaination...

Old 03-10-2009, 05:44 AM

15,527 posts, read 29,240,196 times
Quote:
I am trying to teach my 3 daughters how to be southern women from the old days can any one help
Yeah. Turn of the television. You cannot raise decent children these days with the influences of the "tube". Popular culture rots their brain.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-10-2009, 05:48 AM

15,527 posts, read 29,240,196 times
Quote:
And then do not forget the VERY most important rule of ALL good Southern women. Always be in charge. There is a very fine art of knowing how to make the man in your life feel that he is the one in control when in fact it is the wife.
Any smart woman knows this. You don't have to be southern. In fact, picking up a copy of "The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands", Dr. Laura essentially says the same thing...that the woman is forever and always the determining factor in whether the marriage is a happy one or not.

Being powerful does not mean you have to be a raving B**ch! It also does not mean you have to be a Femi-Nazi. Wives have been running the show for centuries (millennia, probably) without their husbands having the slightest inclination.

20yrsinBranson

Last edited by 20yrsinBranson; 03-10-2009 at 05:50 AM.. Reason: fix syntax

Old 03-10-2009, 08:28 AM

24,469 posts, read 28,737,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
If your daughters marry the right type of men, the men must be in charge as that is Biblically correct. They should be the Christian leaders of the house, and raise their children so. They should love their wives and honor them putting only God before them, and the same should be returned to the husbands.

Please don't teach your girls to be sneaky and conniving with the men in their lives. It's just so deceitful. Somehow I have the feeling you wouldn't think of such a thing.

I do not think that classes are needed. You will be the best teacher they can possibly have. Etiquette and good manners don't take rocket science, only parents that portray good examples.
In my marriage, we are equal partners. No one is in charge of me!

I do wish more kids were brought up with good manners these days, though.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:22 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,211,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
That, I totally agree with, but what I don't agree with is the poster that suggests manipulative training tactics to make a man "think" he is the head of the house hold. That, for me, hits a very sensitive spot...I cannot stand manipulative women who care only about results and not feelings.

Thank you for your explaination...
I don't think the poster is suggesting anything of the sort, Creme. Southerners just have their own way of doing things, particularly in the upper reaches of society. Lots of bigotry on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or