U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 08:51 AM

1 posts, read 4,612 times

Advertisements

I am trying to teach my 3 daughters how to be southern women from the old days can any one help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 08:54 AM

12,783 posts, read 28,803,467 times
Like the real women from the old days? Or like the ones you see on TV?

Old 04-02-2007, 09:06 AM

14,874 posts, read 37,253,110 times
Cotillion classes are a must my dear. They will learn the proper way to sit, wear white gloves and the proper shoes w/ their dresses starting out very early. They will also learn the proper way to set a table, cut their food, eat, place their butter knife, etc. Even learn how to dance with a boy. The boys are taught how to offer their hand to the girls for a dance, ask if they would like some punch and to serve it to them. The skill of the proper curtsy is also taught.

Other than that you can start at home by serving them sweet iced tea everyday, cucumber or tomato tea sandwiches are a must.

And then do not forget the VERY most important rule of ALL good Southern women. Always be in charge. There is a very fine art of knowing how to make the man in your life feel that he is the one in control when in fact it is the wife.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:18 AM

1,406 posts, read 4,672,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellady View Post
I am trying to teach my 3 daughters how to be southern women from the old days can any one help

Why would you do that? But assuming you really only want to teach your daughters good manners and etiquette, start by doing exactly what you want them to do. They will learn far more by example. Then there are Emily Post books you can buy that would address many situations.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:29 AM

2,949 posts, read 12,178,123 times
Is this how you were raised? If so, you can impart that knowledge and training onto your daughters as my mother did with me.

Do you live in the south? There are etiquette classes, etc. And, depending on where you live in the US, I wish you well given todays lack of social graces, influence by the media, peer pressure, etc.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:20 AM

9,875 posts, read 20,157,792 times
Please don't raise them to be unable to look after themselves!

I'm all for good manners and social graces, but there's nothing that ticks me off worse than learned helplessness - oh dear, I can't do that, I might break a nail...

Teach them to value themselves, not to look to someone else to tell them what they are worth.

Teach them not to be superficial, there's more to a person than their hair, clothing, and possessions.

There are so many things that are good about southern women, and there's so much that's bad. I've lived in the south for most of my life and have seen the full range of women, from blue blood to hooker-on-the-street. They are all Southern women. You've gotta come up with a better definition than that.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:23 AM

364 posts, read 396,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellady View Post
That's vague and broad. There must be more suitable websites.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:35 AM

3,020 posts, read 23,618,531 times
Default Yeah, I like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Cotillion classes are a must my dear. They will learn the proper way to sit, wear white gloves and the proper shoes w/ their dresses starting out very early. They will also learn the proper way to set a table, cut their food, eat, place their butter knife, etc. Even learn how to dance with a boy. The boys are taught how to offer their hand to the girls for a dance, ask if they would like some punch and to serve it to them. The skill of the proper curtsy is also taught.

Other than that you can start at home by serving them sweet iced tea everyday, cucumber or tomato tea sandwiches are a must.

And then do not forget the VERY most important rule of ALL good Southern women. Always be in charge. There is a very fine art of knowing how to make the man in your life feel that he is the one in control when in fact it is the wife.
That sort of sounds like what the Amish do with their horses. Never saw such well behaved and polite horses.

Plus none of them tattoos and all that metal stuff sticking out of them either. Peeps should learn proper public behavior and rituals where ever they are. Hope it all works out well.

Maybe can send some of them Florida drivers to those schools.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:12 AM

2,639 posts, read 2,459,107 times
If your daughters marry the right type of men, the men must be in charge as that is Biblically correct. They should be the Christian leaders of the house, and raise their children so. They should love their wives and honor them putting only God before them, and the same should be returned to the husbands.

Please don't teach your girls to be sneaky and conniving with the men in their lives. It's just so deceitful. Somehow I have the feeling you wouldn't think of such a thing.

I do not think that classes are needed. You will be the best teacher they can possibly have. Etiquette and good manners don't take rocket science, only parents that portray good examples.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:42 PM

980 posts, read 3,008,283 times
Quote:
Cotillion classes are a must my dear.
I second that. My mother took cotillion classes. It didn't make her helpless or a woman of the night, either.

Also check out the book, How to Be a Southern Belle (Or Why Princess Margaret Will Never Be a Kappa Kappa Gamma) by Marilyn Schwartz. It's more of a funny read, but there are definitely some good 'Southernisms' in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or