U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 08:32 AM

6,585 posts, read 22,378,491 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I know plenty of folks who move around and they make the switch in the last 5-6 weeks of school so the kids will have new friends for the summer and not be the new kid the next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 08:41 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
You have a third alternative. Ask her present school if you can have some forward materials and just home-school her for the rest of the school year, and ask for a letter from the original school verifying that she satisfactorily completed the school year and passed. They might ask you to bring her back in at the end of the school year for an oral exam, if she is a borderline student. Or if she is sailing through her grade, I bet they'll just pass her.

In most states, all you'd really have to do is wait until September and take her to the new school, declare that she was partly home-schooled, and explain the circumstances. They'll just interview her, look at her previous report cards, and make a grade-placement evaluation. Which would almost certainly be the advanced grade, unless she is conspicuously deficient in some major cognitive area. Schools do this all the time.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-25-2009 at 08:51 AM..

Old 04-25-2009, 10:30 AM

1,425 posts, read 3,520,891 times
When I was a kid, we moved to a different school system at the end of the year. My momma drove me and my brother back and forth for the last few weeks.

DH did this with his kids when we first moved in together. His daughter was your girl's age.

By letting your daughter finish out the year, you are letting her say her goodbyes too. I can cuarantee you that your daughter will not be the only
"new" kid next year. Having her go in new this late in the game, she may not fina a click to fit into before school is out, thus leaving her feeling anxious about starting next year. If you want to introduce her to possible classmates before school starts, find a summer activity in the new location. Summer day camp, swimming lessons, neighborhood cookouts.... the summer is full of possibilities.

Let your daughter have the chance to say her goodbyes and start fresh next year.

BTW; schools will allow the commute even with the knowledge of the move.... they've already gotten the allocation for your daughter's education for the year.

Last edited by rockinmomma; 04-25-2009 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: btw...

Old 04-25-2009, 01:28 PM

3,749 posts, read 7,233,538 times
We are moving cross country. I have moved and the rest of the family is at "home" until the school year ends. We are then having a going away party for my 6 and 10 year old to tell their friends goodbye. Needless to say - count me in the let her finish the year column. I think endings done properly are essential to both adults and children.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:35 PM

4,264 posts, read 7,929,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I am going to put a different spin on this, I say move her to the new school for the last month. She will meet friends from her new school and have kids to play with over the summer. It will be a long, long summer for a 6 year old that doesn't know anyone. Most likely the old school will let her stay in class there if you want without issue but I say let her meet some kids at the new school.

I was just going to post this same thing. Good point.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:48 PM

3,084 posts, read 6,463,911 times
My son is 6 and in Kindergarten. With so little time left in the school year, the only way I'd make him change schools was if it was an extreme hardship to transport back and forth.

I believe it's very important to finish what you started if at all possible, and let them reap the benefit of feeling accomplished in doing so. It gives them closure for the system they've been working with all year in addition to being able to participate in the end of school year activities with all the classmates that have become friends with your child.

Unless your child is really struggling with school, teachers or classmates, I don't see a big enough benefit to change this late in the game.

Moving can be stressful enough on young children without adding on changing schools on top of it. If the child starts the school after being in the new place for a few months that will probably make for a much smoother transition.

While changing schools now may seem to give the jump on next year, if you think about it that's not necessarily true. The new teacher for the remainder of the year won't be the same one as the next year and they may be very different, so now you've given your child 3 different teachers in the space of about 4 months.
The kids in the class next year may not be ones the child has become friends with from either transferring early or meeting over the summer. Class roles are never the same from year to year, so it's no guarantee a child will be in a class with someone they enjoy being with.

I guess I'm just for one major change at a time for young children.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:52 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,266,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You have a third alternative. Ask her present school if you can have some forward materials and just home-school her for the rest of the school year, and ask for a letter from the original school verifying that she satisfactorily completed the school year and passed. They might ask you to bring her back in at the end of the school year for an oral exam, if she is a borderline student. Or if she is sailing through her grade, I bet they'll just pass her.

In most states, all you'd really have to do is wait until September and take her to the new school, declare that she was partly home-schooled, and explain the circumstances. They'll just interview her, look at her previous report cards, and make a grade-placement evaluation. Which would almost certainly be the advanced grade, unless she is conspicuously deficient in some major cognitive area. Schools do this all the time.
Great advice, and I happen to know first hand that NJ makes homeschooling very easy.

If you are a SAHM, this is a great alternative to consider. There is no possible way you can ruin your child in one month Serioulsy, it would in all probability be a wonderful time for both of you and you'd basically have to just finish out the year. If you explained the situation to the current teacher, I'm sure he/she would be most helpful.

I found myself in a situation which left me no choice but to homeschool and it has been a wonderful experience for all of us.

My opinion on switching schools if you don't homeschool? I think children adjust wonderfully well. The school likes to make a big deal when new kids come in so I actually think it's better when they come in during the school year.

Good luck and don't stress! She'll take her cues from you!

Old 04-26-2009, 05:59 PM

21,134 posts, read 22,102,729 times
Shouldn't be a huge trauma for her at 6. If you can let her finish, I would probably do that.. then just start fresh once school is out. If there were more than 2 weeks I would lean toward golfgal's advice but with only 2 more weeks, I don't think there will be much getting to know new kids going on...

Old 04-27-2009, 08:43 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,465,565 times
Here's another option: Find out when her new school gets out, drive her back and forth to her old school until there is about a week left in the new school, have her old teacher do a going away announcement and you can furnish cookies or something so your daughter doesn't feel like she is leaving in the middle of things, then have your daughter go to her new school for the last few days there so she can meet some kids and familiarize herself with her new school.

That way she will have closure at her old school and not have to go into her new one cold. At the same time, she will meet some kids in her new school to get to know over the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or