U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 08:17 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,221,161 times

Advertisements

I think the OP is just getting ideas NOW for when the time comes to start the training and I think that is a good idea. Get all the information before the time comes.

If you are married, I suggest he go with your husband when he goes now and then. That shows him how it is done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 10:42 AM

2,349 posts, read 9,494,459 times
We used a bubble gum machine. One gumball for pee pee and two for poop. He ended up with about $45 too to use to buy an extra special toy when all was said and done. And as another poster mentioned, let 'em water the flowers and shrubs. Especially grandma's. She'll love that LOL

Old 04-27-2009, 11:37 AM

10,716 posts, read 31,030,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastone View Post
It is a little young, I'd probably give it a few more months. I tried the Cheerios in the toilet also, but try food coloring, I can't remember how much I used, but it was fun to see their face when the color in the toilet bowl changed.
How hilarious, I had never heard that one.
You Mothers of boys are so creative.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:44 PM

6,764 posts, read 19,282,457 times
Default Good luck but be patient.

My son was not potty trained full till he was four. This is quite common with first children.

I don't know if anyone cares but forcing the kids to potty too early can lead to psychological stress...two year olds are into body fluids...especially poop...you really have to keep an eye on them in the bathroom or they will play with their own poop.

Also, their bodies have to be ready to hold it.

I worked at a few preschools and have a lot of early education training and experience. We had quite a few three year olds who were not full trained.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:30 PM

3,749 posts, read 7,234,852 times
I have a girl and boy. The girl was trained at 2 but periodically had accidents and wore night pullups until about 4 1/2. The boy refused to be potty trained so I figured when he was ready he would. He began -by himself at 3 1/2 (I know - ridiculous!) BUT - he never had an accident and never used anything at night. It was worth not being stressed.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:41 PM

24,469 posts, read 28,730,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
I have a girl and boy. The girl was trained at 2 but periodically had accidents and wore night pullups until about 4 1/2. The boy refused to be potty trained so I figured when he was ready he would. He began -by himself at 3 1/2 (I know - ridiculous!) BUT - he never had an accident and never used anything at night. It was worth not being stressed.
NOT ridiculous! Pretty normal! Mine both started by them selves just after turning 3, but regressed a bit and were not fully daytime trained until at least 3 1/2.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:38 PM

3,749 posts, read 7,234,852 times
RKB - youre probably right, but this child would bring me his diapers and wipes and ask me to change him - clearly. I would ask - "why dont you use the potty?" he would respond - "because I dont want to." LOL!

Old 04-28-2009, 03:56 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,107,699 times
I have 2 boys & started training them during warm weather months. They LOVED to go outside & pee on the grass, bugs, flowers (whatever they got the most kick out of). That was early on in the process..It just taught them they can control when to go & they happily kept their pull ups dry when they could go outside & do it. For indoor training, I used the old fruit loops trick too. Also, I got a big "treat bowl" & filled it up with little trinkets. 1 trinket for pee, 2 for poop. It worked great for my kids. Both of them were completely trained just shy of 3.

I will also say that 16 months is a bit young but what you could do now is get some books about going potty to read to him. You could also get a training potty to let him just practice sitting on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting