U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 09:00 PM

38 posts, read 94,665 times

Advertisements

Any tips for the above question would be appreciated.

I have a 16-month old boy, and want to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 09:02 PM

10,716 posts, read 31,026,539 times
I heard this one, I only have a girl but let me share.

Cheerios in the toilet bowl. It makes it a game, your son has to try and hit the Cheerios with...well you get the idea.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:35 PM

24,469 posts, read 28,723,874 times
I trained both my boys sitting down. Do you think the cheerio thing would be a good way to get them to stand up? Sorry to hijack your thread!
To answer the op, I rewarded with dollar store toys or candy, and read potty books. I had them sit on the potty every so often throughout the day, like before snacks and meals, before nap, before we left the house. And you have to wait until he's ready. If he's not ready, it won't matter what you do. Good luck!
p.s. mine started right around, or just after their 3rd b-days. You may have to wait a while.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:36 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,239,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpankulu View Post
Any tips for the above question would be appreciated.

I have a 16-month old boy, and want to start.
Not trying to sound harsh, but 16 months with a boy is incredibly young. Why the rush?

If he is showing "interest" (which by this age they are if not sooner b/c they see mommy/daddy/brother/sister doing this & they want to do it also), purchase a very simple top to put over the regular toilet. Every day or so, just take him in & sit him down. When the time comes for him to seriously be trained, he'll be somewhat "familiar" with the process.

But to expect him to be completely trained at this age is a little too much; they are not developed enough nor can they comprehend the idea of all that it entails.

My #1 started to show interest around 18 months. We started seriously training him at 2 1/2 & he was fully trained by 3. That seems to be the average age of many I've talked to; known; heard stories about, so on.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:56 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,653,749 times
In summer, Outside, No pants (just undies),
When he needs to go point at a tree and say "Thats a tree"

BTW, 16 months seems pretty early.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:42 AM

15,616 posts, read 9,156,993 times
My mother in law! She trained her boys and my nephew - I believe each of them was completely trained when they were just past 1 year old

Old 04-27-2009, 05:41 AM

2,838 posts, read 8,842,146 times
I'd say time is your best bet. He's got a good year before he's potty-training age. Relax and enjoy your baby. No need to push him into being a big boy just a few months after he learned to toddle! It goes by so fast... don't try to speed it up. (And it probably wouldn't work, anyway... most children don't have the ability to control their functions until they're closer to two.)

Old 04-27-2009, 05:53 AM

1,461 posts, read 4,097,215 times
Default Best Potty Traiiner for Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpankulu View Post
Any tips for the above question would be appreciated.I have a 16-month old boy, and want to start.
Ok...I gotta hope my son never reads this post...LOL Back in "the day" when I was rasing my son, (he is now 40), and it was potty training time, I use to sit him on the toilet backwards...private parts facing the back of the toilet. At first he didn't want to sit there so I got the idea to tape pictures of trucks, cars, horses, dogs, cats....on the lid so he would have something to look at while he sat. Once a week, I would change the pictures and he eventually learned how to stay on the pot and do his business....it did take a while to get him to learn to stand up to pee...had a special box for him to stand on to reach the toilet but the turning around to poo took a while...it worked though.

The biggest thing to remember is that kids fear the toilet..for real!! Can you imagine having a little tiny butt and having it practically fall totally through the toilet?? Even if they are sitting on one of those plastic potty chair thingies, the sound of the water flushing down...I would imagine their fear is they will flush too. Don't put your child on the potty and walk away from them..not at first. Stay with them, talk to them, and assure them that this is what big boys, or big girls do. Trust me, if they are talking well they will first of all want to know if Mommy and Daddy do this too...then maybe they will tell you they are scared...assure them that there is nothing to be afraid of.

Most importantly...never, not ever....scold or punish your child if they have an accident in their big boys/big girls pants...that happens too. I had a relative who scolded her boys for messing in their pants on occasion and it worked in reverse for her...they were scared to poo at all and got impacted bowels...didn't want to get spanked for going poo....confused her kids big time.

Good luck...happy potty training..gosh I miss those days.....

Old 04-27-2009, 05:56 AM

833 posts, read 4,369,446 times
16 months is REALLY young for potty training.
I also taught my boys to urinate sitting down on the potty, as another poster mentioned.
I used marshmallows as my behavioral modification bribe! Both boys were fully potty trained around 3 years old.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:09 AM

510 posts, read 1,800,373 times
It is a little young, I'd probably give it a few more months. I tried the Cheerios in the toilet also, but try food coloring, I can't remember how much I used, but it was fun to see their face when the color in the toilet bowl changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting