U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2009, 04:55 PM

12,715 posts, read 11,191,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
I notice no one talks about hitting children that are tall enough to defend themselves.

Its easy to overpower an elementary school aged kid, isn't it? Not so easy to push around a high-schooler. Wonder why the spanking stops?
I did mention it. You said spanking stops in high school, I said it doesn't have to.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:34 PM

16 posts, read 26,149 times
No, don't use a belt or any other kind of weapon on your kids. However, do start discipline when they are young and make sure your strategy is age appropriate. If you don't and they grow into hellions, you have no body to belt but yourself. If you must, cause it happens, count to ten and first try to think of an alternative. If none comes to mind and the child is going to hurt or kill themselves by their actions, use the old fashioned open hand on the butt, never the face, and explain why you are doing it and that if they do that again, they will know what to expect. Hopefully, you wont need to again.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:38 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,755,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
I notice no one talks about hitting children that are tall enough to defend themselves.

Its easy to overpower an elementary school aged kid, isn't it? Not so easy to push around a high-schooler. Wonder why the spanking stops? Cuz they are too strong and can hit back? Just a guess.
You are right, it is a guess. Not a very good guess though. It is not taking into consideration the difference in times.

If teachers had more room to apply some, of the years gone by, spanking they used to, even high schoolers would get it.

Many teachers today cannot even touch a student by the arm to make him move because in no time the parents are out there suing the school for physical abuse.

In years gone by an old teacher could grab a high school footbal player by the ear and take him where he had to go. That old lady knew she had the backing from mom and dad. After that, the teacher gave him a couple of hits with some old board, the next one would be from mom and/or dad.

That is why even elementary school kids can stand up to a teacher and tell him "Hell no!"

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 05-01-2009, 05:41 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,755,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarom View Post
No, don't use a belt or any other kind of weapon on your kids. However, do start discipline when they are young and make sure your strategy is age appropriate. If you don't and they grow into hellions, you have no body to belt but yourself. If you must, cause it happens, count to ten and first try to think of an alternative. If none comes to mind and the child is going to hurt or kill themselves by their actions, use the old fashioned open hand on the butt, never the face, and explain why you are doing it and that if they do that again, they will know what to expect. Hopefully, you wont need to again.
Nice way of explaining the line of logic that could lead into a spanking if it gets that far. I never used an object to spank mine.

You havea great day.
El Amigo

Old 05-01-2009, 05:45 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,243,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I did mention it. You said spanking stops in high school, I said it doesn't have to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Personally, I think it should be about 14 in all cases unless the older person is in a position of authority and uses that position to coerce the younger person. Peru went from 16 to 14 a year or two ago, while Canada went from 14 to 16.

In Spain it went from 12 to 13 in 1996 when the conservative party won the elections, but that barely passed!

It's odd that in a so-called sexually liberated age, we have steadily moved in the direction of increasing the age of consent; it's counterintuitive. When cool heads prevail, the age stays the same or is lowered. When the various demagogues in politics and the media whip up a moral panic, it gets raised.
You have also said adults should be able to legally have sex with high school students. So, do you also advocate performing the acts of spanking and sex with a minor simultaneously? Personally, i find your posts to be absolutely repugnant. That's as nicely as i can say it without being sanctioned.

Statutory rape and age of consent..too radical?

Old 05-01-2009, 05:54 PM

12,715 posts, read 11,191,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
You have also said adults should be able to legally have sex with high school students. So, do you also advocate performing the acts of spanking and sex with a minor simultaneously?
No, I specified that [teenage] students and teachers having sex should not be allowed, but merely stated that it ought not to result in someone serving a prison term.

As for spanking, I think parents ought to have the right to spank their kids as long as they are dependent minors or living at home.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:15 PM

1,634 posts, read 5,898,866 times
I don't have any problem with an open hand pop to the butt to get the attention. It can be done without hurting the child. I agree slapping and objects, that's not OK with me. I mean I remember a few times feeling that belt buckle..that hurt. I remember my mother stopped slapping my face when I was a teen. The last time she tried I grabbed both her wrists, picked her up and set her on the couch. Told her "don't do that again". She didn't. I was a good kid , didn't get into trouble. I'm a respectful person. And no, my home was not an abusive one. I just didn't want to get slapped again. I was dead serious about it, and she knew it.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:24 PM

893 posts, read 1,352,747 times
Well my girlfriend loves it being done to her

Old 05-01-2009, 07:40 PM

893 posts, read 1,352,747 times
Seriously though, I think it depends on the child. It's still pretty common here and in our schools. I also personally feel that Dr Spock had it all wrong.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:43 PM

1,634 posts, read 5,898,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko75 View Post
Seriously though, I think it depends on the child. It's still pretty common here and in our schools. I also personally feel that Dr Spock had it all wrong.
Kids still get spanked in Texas schools? I'm assuming only with parental permission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or