U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2009, 12:52 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,286,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Amuse Myself View Post
Just want to jump in and say that in Scandinavia / Nordic. It's very rare for people to spank, and almost unheard of people to ever use an item /tool to do so. Having lived in Sweden, Finland and Denmark i have never heard or seen anyone spank their kid. And we do have little criminal activity (Very low rate in Finland, especially)

I have spoke with alot of people from europe that i know, and most if not all find it shocking that i ask them of this. And say they wouldn't raise a hand to their kid.

I'm not saying what you're doing is wrong, but if a bigger part of europe can do without it. I think you should look somewhere else when it comes to criminal activity, Addiction, And "Whoring" as someone was nice enough to say here.

Anyway, whatever works for you. It's your children, and it's up to you how to discipline them. Not the school, not your neighboor, Your job.

Ofcourse it does exist in Europe, i'm not saying it dosn't. But it get looked down upon, and no one speaks of it if they do. Been teaching some at schools (Elementary, and higher grades) and never heard of anyone getting hit. And if they would have told such a story, i can see several teachers marshing to the police. It's illegal in Finland to "aga" a child, meaning anything that is harming your child, with force. Be it using a belt, or such.

Anyway, sorry for stealing the topic. Just wanted to share how it works in some parts of Europe!
Uhm... Along those lines, maybe we should mention the part that Sweden was the first country in the world to forbid spanking a child (- or "aga", which is the Swedish word).

Don't want to offend anyone, but - seriously, how in the world can someone spank a child? How is that any less of abuse or assult than hitting an adult? It may (may) not be as physically hurting as an assult on an adult, but what doesn't it feel like to a child? Not just physically, but also mentally? I work with children, and if they just so much as bump their head on something, they cry as if blood was gushing out and they were just seconds away from dying.
If a bump hurts a child - what doesn't a spank from someone who's suppose to love and PROTECT the child do?

Old 11-12-2009, 04:37 PM

9,444 posts, read 14,983,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
Uhm... Along those lines, maybe we should mention the part that Sweden was the first country in the world to forbid spanking a child (- or "aga", which is the Swedish word).

Don't want to offend anyone, but - seriously, how in the world can someone spank a child? How is that any less of abuse or assult than hitting an adult? It may (may) not be as physically hurting as an assult on an adult, but what doesn't it feel like to a child? Not just physically, but also mentally? I work with children, and if they just so much as bump their head on something, they cry as if blood was gushing out and they were just seconds away from dying.
If a bump hurts a child - what doesn't a spank from someone who's suppose to love and PROTECT the child do?
Oh those "crazy" Scandinavians/Europeans! What do they know about raising a kid? They should learn from us, belt-using, "Bible-justifying" self-righteous Americans who know how to raise children.

Obvious sarcasm is being used.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:46 PM

As a Christian, I completely despise when people defend spanking with the Bible. Here is a study on the specific passage of the Bible.

Gentle Christian Mothers - Christian Attachment Parenting

GCM Articles - To Spank or Not to Spank?

Old 11-12-2009, 07:50 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,375,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
As a Christian, I completely despise when people defend spanking with the Bible. Here is a study on the specific passage of the Bible.
Agree, that's the most ridiculous excuse I ever heard. And what if the bible told you never to spank, then my guess is those people who obey the bible word for word would not spank at all...

Old 11-12-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Oh those "crazy" Scandinavians/Europeans! What do they know about raising a kid? They should learn from us, belt-using, "Bible-justifying" self-righteous Americans who know how to raise children.

Obvious sarcasm is being used.
So just because someone choses not to spank, they are not good parents and worthless?? It's not cool forcing everyone into your beliefs. If that worked for you and your kids, alright, but not nice telling them what they should, should not do.. They are entitled to their opinions and views as well.
Honestly I'm disgusted with belts.... and yes did get the belt as a young kid, last time was 7 (it wasn't done that much, very few times but still, to some people it takes only one time to impact them). I don't feel that was necessary though but oh well, most fathers just like going straight to easy way, less with talking, more with spanking...
But see, it got to a point, where I'm really thinking what on earth did I learn, other than ''Omg he's gonna hit me with it for bad grades''..
As of now, I'm against spanking as well and no not belt. So yes, I can be added to the so called ''stupid Europeans'' you despise so much. They're people too...
If hitting with the hand hurts still, I can imagine with belt or an object, poor thing... Now if it's just light tap/slap on the arm as a result of the kid running across the street and almost getting hit by a car or catching him/her playing with matches, well then you were just worried sick. Maybe that can be the only, only one case. Even so, even in that case, a belt or object used, other than just a quick light tap, slap on arm, I would consider that too much. IMO a belt, object is disgusting. I myself didn't like it, still don't... That's part of why I'm at times had a hard time controlling my temper, self-control as well as this issue I have not yet solve within myself to the point I'm thinking of going to a counselor, psychologist any time soon.....

Old 11-13-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower_lol View Post
So just because someone choses not to spank, they are not good parents and worthless?? It's not cool forcing everyone into your beliefs. If that worked for you and your kids, alright, but not nice telling them what they should, should not do.. They are entitled to their opinions and views as well.
Honestly I'm disgusted with belts.... and yes did get the belt as a young kid, last time was 7 (it wasn't done that much, very few times but still, to some people it takes only one time to impact them). I don't feel that was necessary though but oh well, most fathers just like going straight to easy way, less with talking, more with spanking...
But see, it got to a point, where I'm really thinking what on earth did I learn, other than ''Omg he's gonna hit me with it for bad grades''..
As of now, I'm against spanking as well and no not belt. So yes, I can be added to the so called ''stupid Europeans'' you despise so much. They're people too...
If hitting with the hand hurts still, I can imagine with belt or an object, poor thing... Now if it's just light tap/slap on the arm as a result of the kid running across the street and almost getting hit by a car or catching him/her playing with matches, well then you were just worried sick. Maybe that can be the only, only one case. Even so, even in that case, a belt or object used, other than just a quick light tap, slap on arm, I would consider that too much. IMO a belt, object is disgusting. I myself didn't like it, still don't... That's part of why I'm at times had a hard time controlling my temper, self-control as well as this issue I have not yet solve within myself to the point I'm thinking of going to a counselor, psychologist any time soon.....
I was being sarcastic in my original post! I'm completely anti-spanking.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:11 AM

3,566 posts, read 4,490,175 times
Quote:
And, you knew that even with it in print.......it was going to happen anyway.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Ok.. Well then welcome to anti-spanking club....

Old 11-13-2009, 12:33 PM

2,792 posts, read 1,676,577 times
I was spanked as a child and have been fine. If I have kids I will spank.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:14 PM

20 posts, read 27,613 times
since i'm black i will speak for only the black children(not trying to be racist)

most black kids get whooped with a belt on a daily bases, never really with the hand. Me, my brothers and sisters started getting spanked at like 9 months old to 2 year old. Then after 2 years old we all got whooped with a belt or beat. We got whooped probably up to the age of about 15 or 16. I'm strictly against any kind of abuse against your kids because of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or