U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-22-2011, 08:59 AM
 
Location: somewhere
4,264 posts, read 7,930,262 times
Reputation: 3129

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akama13 View Post
People using a belt on their kids are uneducated, uncontrolled savages that have no business raising kids.

So much research has been done on the subject, to put one's head in the sand and repeat "itainttrueitainttrueitainttrue" reminds me of flat earthers back in the days.

I don't know anyone who does that anymore, thank God.

To say that parents who spank their kids are "uncontrolled, uneducated savages' is such a gross misrepresentation. I would apply the same logic to parents who choose not to discipline their kids and think nothing of their kids backtalking teachers, bus drivers, other adults, running wild in their homes, resturants, stores and schools.

I fully understand there are those who abuse their kids in the name of discipline but there are alot of others who spank their kids. There is a big difference between beating and spanking.

For some kids a simple warning, grounding, taking away privileges works well, for others sometimes a swat on the tush is necessary to get the message across. Nothing worse than being around a parent who is adamant that spanking is tantamount to abuse and then listening to that parent repeatedly telling their child to "stop that right now" or they are going to be put in timeout.

I get really tired of constantly hearing how parents who spank their kids are abusing their kids, for most nothing could be further from the truth.

So to answer the OP's question, when I was growing up I did not see my friends getting the belt taken to them, nor do we know anyone who does that now.

 
Old 01-22-2011, 09:33 AM
 
9,056 posts, read 6,723,723 times
Reputation: 11008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
To say that parents who spank their kids are "uncontrolled, uneducated savages' is such a gross misrepresentation. I would apply the same logic to parents who choose not to discipline their kids and think nothing of their kids backtalking teachers, bus drivers, other adults, running wild in their homes, resturants, stores and schools.

I fully understand there are those who abuse their kids in the name of discipline but there are alot of others who spank their kids. There is a big difference between beating and spanking.


For some kids a simple warning, grounding, taking away privileges works well, for others sometimes a swat on the tush is necessary to get the message across. Nothing worse than being around a parent who is adamant that spanking is tantamount to abuse and then listening to that parent repeatedly telling their child to "stop that right now" or they are going to be put in timeout.

I get really tired of constantly hearing how parents who spank their kids are abusing their kids, for most nothing could be further from the truth.

So to answer the OP's question, when I was growing up I did not see my friends getting the belt taken to them, nor do we know anyone who does that now.
The person you are referring to said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akama13
People using a belt on their kids are uneducated, uncontrolled savages that have no business raising kids.
They didn't say "parents who spank".

This thread is about using a belt, not just spanking. IMO, using a BELT or anything that can seriously hurt a child to keep them in line is crossing into abusive territory. It's a far cry from a "swat on the tush". If you can't control your child without using an instrument which can cause serious bodily injury then there's something wrong with you. (Not YOU, ajz, general you).

Anybody that can look into the face of their child one minute and then hit them with something the next has issues that I don't believe have anything at all to do with actual discipline.
 
Old 01-22-2011, 11:25 AM
 
Location: So. of Rosarito, Baja, Mexico
6,571 posts, read 17,949,017 times
Reputation: 5919
The sound of a switch from a tree going thru the air and feeling it's sting on your hands or a belt across the rear will do wonders when it comes down to strict towing the line.

My mother used the switch. I used the belt and switch on my boys when needed. My oldest son used the belt on his boy when needed or threatened to use it...saw the reaction and they work real well.

My children (now adults and grandparent and grandparent to be soon) came out real well and to be proud of. Threats of "time out" would be compared to turning off the TV or no games.

No wonder so many kids are trouble makers when a parent failed to control at the onset.
 
Old 01-22-2011, 03:47 PM
 
Location: New York City
2,814 posts, read 5,856,135 times
Reputation: 3142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniyasmommy View Post
I spank my kids all the time . Some of these little bad ass kids need thier behind spanked. Im so sick of seeing lil Johnny in the grocery store cursing out his mama acting a straight fool. Lil Johnny needs his ass kicked thats why he grows up to be a little punk ass.

My daughter has autism and that is no excuse to get away with everything so yes I spank her as a form of discipline . She is very sneaky ,mouthy and she likes to steal now and she's only 4. Everyone always says how she has so much personality and how sneaky she is . She is talking back to her teachers now telling them what she aint gonna do . Ill be damned ill show up to school in a bathrobe and a belt in my hand. LMAO My mother did that to me once and embarassed the hell out of me. We were teased for YEARS after that episode.
You should be ashamed of yourself for hitting a 4yo with autism. God help her. Hopefully someone at her school will catch on and you will be forced to take parenting skills classes.
 
Old 01-22-2011, 06:11 PM
 
11,614 posts, read 19,711,659 times
Reputation: 12046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post

No wonder so many kids are trouble makers when a parent failed to control at the onset.
The point is NOT to control the child. The point is for the child to control himself.
 
Old 01-22-2011, 06:31 PM
 
Location: somewhere
4,264 posts, read 7,930,262 times
Reputation: 3129
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
The person you are referring to said:

They didn't say "parents who spank".

This thread is about using a belt, not just spanking. IMO, using a BELT or anything that can seriously hurt a child to keep them in line is crossing into abusive territory. It's a far cry from a "swat on the tush". If you can't control your child without using an instrument which can cause serious bodily injury then there's something wrong with you. (Not YOU, ajz, general you).

Anybody that can look into the face of their child one minute and then hit them with something the next has issues that I don't believe have anything at all to do with actual discipline.

I think we will just have to agree to disagree.

BTW I was fully aware of what the subject of this thread was about. I simply thought the description used by the poster was a gross misrepresentation.
 
Old 01-22-2011, 07:03 PM
 
623 posts, read 1,388,856 times
Reputation: 712
Another thread on spanking.... If you spank your kids they will most likely turn out fine. If you don't spank your kids will probably turn out fine. There is no research to suggest anything concrete either way.
 
Old 01-22-2011, 07:09 PM
 
32,538 posts, read 29,325,866 times
Reputation: 32238
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
Another thread on spanking.... If you spank your kids they will most likely turn out fine. If you don't spank your kids will probably turn out fine. There is no research to suggest anything concrete either way.
I didn't spank my kids. Nothing beyond the swift "attention getter" on their little behinds. I could never inflict pain on my child. (Hard spanking, wooden spoons, belts, switches.) And I made that agreement with my DH before we even got married. He didn't hit them or spank them.

I knew I couldn't live with myself if I did that to them. They had plenty of discipline in their young lives. Much more discipline than their circle of friends. Plenty of punishments when they deserved it. But hurt them? I couldn't do it.
 
Old 01-22-2011, 07:18 PM
 
15,287 posts, read 16,833,735 times
Reputation: 15019
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
Another thread on spanking.... If you spank your kids they will most likely turn out fine. If you don't spank your kids will probably turn out fine. There is no research to suggest anything concrete either way.
When Is Spanking Child Abuse? - NYTimes.com

Quote:
“More than one-third of all parents who start out with relatively mild punishments end up crossing the line drawn by the state to define child abuse: hitting with an object, harsh and cruel hitting, and so on,” he writes. “Children, endowed with wonderful flexibility and ability to learn, typically adapt to punishment faster than parents can escalate it, which helps encourage a little hitting to lead to a lot of hitting.”
Medical News: Heavy Spanking Predicts Overt Child Abuse - in Emergency Medicine, Domestic Violence from MedPage Today

Quote:
Among parents who said they spanked children with an object such as a belt or paddle, the odds ratio for harsher abuse more than tripled, to 8.9 (95% CI 4.1 to 19.6), the researchers said.
Quote:
Minority parents who spanked were 2.2 to 4.0 times as likely to abuse their children, depending on what type of spanking was involved, relative to non-spanking parents.

And girls were about twice as likely to be abused as boys across spanking categories, although the association was significant only for those spanked with objects.
Spanking Can Be Sexual Abuse

Quote:
Porn fighters break ring of kid-spanking fetishists
By Naftali Bendavid

WASHINGTON -- Investigators are in the final stages of breaking up a ring of child-pornography enthusiasts in the United States and Canada who derived sexual pleasure from the severe spanking of children.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-19-2011 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: Copyright violation
 
Old 01-22-2011, 07:51 PM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,131 posts, read 26,250,313 times
Reputation: 6815
If it's good enough to use on the wife it's probably okay for the child. However, never use anything on either that's wider than your thumb - which is of course the meaning behind "the rule of thumb".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top