Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 12:52 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
A switch will sting a little if used lightly.

A belt can leave a red bruise if used real hard on the rear.

A cane (as in singapore) can do wonders when used as punishment instead of filling the jails.

I'm for all three in todays world when used properly.

Criminals start at a early age when they get away with something without being caught and punished.

Steve
All you do is teach a kid to be violent if they dont like what someone else did. Why de-moralize your child like this? It is so not necessary. A kid would often rather get a quick beating than be without TV, phone or friends for a period of time. Better to punish than hit.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:56 PM

1,577 posts, read 3,699,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
All you do is teach a kid to be violent if they dont like what someone else did. Why de-moralize your child like this? It is so not necessary. A kid would often rather get a quick beating than be without TV, phone or friends for a period of time. Better to punish than hit.
How que linda are you? j/k

I agree, especially in today's day and age, taking away their video games and cable tv will hurt alot worse and they'll hate you alot less over time.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:09 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
How que linda are you? j/k

I agree, especially in today's day and age, taking away their video games and cable tv will hurt alot worse and they'll hate you alot less over time.
You may be underestimating the amount of pain these parents inflict upon their children to "teach" them. Someone above mentioned bruises and welts. Those can last several days.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:19 PM

427 posts, read 1,387,616 times
I can count on one had the number of times I was spanked. I see nothing wrong with occasional spanking to the point across when it is really serious. For example I booked for the road once and could have been hit by car, after which I was spanked, I got the point last time I ever ran into the street. In this case the danger of me making this mistake again warrented a spanking.

Spanking never hurt me. My mother was beat with everything in sight, and would be sent out to get a branch, one time my grandmother even went after her with the broom. The belt hung in teh cupboard. Until one day my mother told
There is a clear difference between sporadic spanking and beating a child.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
A drinking buddy of mine said his father beat his tail. Once he claimed innocence, but still received a whupping. Then evidence emerged that he was indeed innocent and told his father so. His father replied: "You probably did something I do not know about." My friend said he was right.

Perhaps its a cultural thing, but nearly all of my African-American colleagues have stories where they were told to go outside and break a switch off of a tree, bring it back to mom or dad, and get a whupping with it.
Well now guess where beating someone to control them came from in that community? I'll bet that's been handed down for generations, going all the way back to the "cracker" lifestyle (the white guy who cracked the whip). Isn't it time to get away from this evil?

Old 04-28-2009, 01:30 PM

1,577 posts, read 3,699,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLeigh View Post
..., and would be sent out to get a branch...
What did the parents do with the branches that the kids have to keep going to get more

Old 04-28-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
What did the parents do with the branches that the kids have to keep going to get more
Hopefully those evil parents shoved those branches where the sun dont shine lol.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:35 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
No thanks, we're satisfied with that one.
That's your choice. How you can be proud of it, I don't know, but I agree to disagree. Would you approve of teachers using corporal punishment in school? They control kids all the time without hitting.

I'm just curious, do you think teachers should be allowed to 'switch the kids' again?

Old 04-28-2009, 01:38 PM

101 posts, read 562,785 times
I spank my kids all the time . Some of these little bad ass kids need thier behind spanked. Im so sick of seeing lil Johnny in the grocery store cursing out his mama acting a straight fool. Lil Johnny needs his ass kicked thats why he grows up to be a little punk ass.

My daughter has autism and that is no excuse to get away with everything so yes I spank her as a form of discipline . She is very sneaky ,mouthy and she likes to steal now and she's only 4. Everyone always says how she has so much personality and how sneaky she is . She is talking back to her teachers now telling them what she aint gonna do . Ill be damned ill show up to school in a bathrobe and a belt in my hand. LMAO My mother did that to me once and embarassed the hell out of me. We were teased for YEARS after that episode.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:42 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Another story. My uncle did something wrong and knew my grandfather would use the belt on him. His brother, my other uncle of course, tells him to put a book under his pjs . The whupping commences and my grandfather yells, "What's this?" and pulls the book out of his pants. Received a double whupping for that stunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting