Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 01:44 PM

101 posts, read 562,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
Dont ever be mistaken that you are soft on your kids and let them run wild if you do not hit them. You do NOT need to hurt your children to get them to behave. You do need to follow through on punishments and time outs. As soon as my daughter is bad, I simply ask her if she wants to "go in her bed". She immediately says no and is good. If not, I pick her up and make her sit on her bed for a few minutes (she's only 3) and I explain why she's stuck on her bed and ask her to apologize. I just need to do this every once in a while for a few seconds and then the threat of getting put to bed continues to work like a charm. I also threaten to take away her passifier (which we let her have at night) and I turn off the TV too. As she gets older, I will be taking away TV privileges more as my mom did when I was little (and of course remove toys, she will learn these are privileges not rights). I HATED being without the TV!

WHY HURT YOUR OWN BABIES THOUGH? SICK SICK SICK
It's not sick! I know plenty of well adjusted sucessful adults who were spanked and had a natural fear of thier parents. Sometimes you spank out of love. I know i did once. My daughter ran out into the street and nearly got hit . I was so upset that I spanked her right than and there and told her she better not ever even walk near the curb much less the actual street and it worked. Everytime we go outside she knows better than to take her behind out on that street. Sometimes you can tell a child no over and over and over again and they will still do it and if it's dangerous SPANK them and everytime they look or see it they will know they better not touch it

Old 04-28-2009, 01:45 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniyasmommy View Post
I spank my kids all the time . Some of these little bad ass kids need thier behind spanked. Im so sick of seeing lil Johnny in the grocery store cursing out his mama acting a straight fool. Lil Johnny needs his ass kicked thats why he grows up to be a little punk ass.

My daughter has autism and that is no excuse to get away with everything so yes I spank her as a form of discipline . She is very sneaky ,mouthy and she likes to steal now and she's only 4. Everyone always says how she has so much personality and how sneaky she is . She is talking back to her teachers now telling them what she aint gonna do . Ill be damned ill show up to school in a bathrobe and a belt in my hand. LMAO My mother did that to me once and embarassed the hell out of me. We were teased for YEARS after that episode.
Ever think these kids are so rude BECAUSE they are spanked? Again, LET ME BE CLEAR, I dont take sh*t from kids or ANYONE for that matter. Just cuz you dont hit your own flesh and blood does NOT mean that you put up with BS. There are many other ways to get a kid to behave. SORRY but you sound like an ass hitting an autistic kid. What is wrong with you??

Old 04-28-2009, 01:50 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
Most 'bad ass' kids are the result of POOR PARENTING.
I keep asking the question, do you want the schools to use physical force? I taught many a four year old (and younger) and did not put my hands on them.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:59 PM

197 posts, read 485,621 times
I've read through these posts and I agree with a lot that both sides of the argument have said. I was spanked as a child and I knew when my father said "Stop!" I had better stop. There was nothing worth getting a spanking for. My father didn't have to spank the three of us much because when he got us, he got us good.

I am a single mother and disciplining my son has been challenging to say the least. Even though my son is well behaved at home, we had some challenges this year with him starting school. It had gotten to the point where his teacher was either calling me, writing me a note or having me to the school twice a week. I took away his TV, his video games, had him writing sentences, doing chores, wouldn't allow him to go to friend's houses. You name it, I tried it. He could have cared less. All the stuff that normally worked on him didn't even phase him. Finally, I told him that if I got just one more call from school I was going to spank him. The very next day I got a call and had to leave work to go to the school. The teacher knew what I was doing because I told her first. She never said a word. You would have thought I had ripped his leg off, but I haven't had another call. I believe you can go too far, but I also believe that sometimes a spanking gets a point across with a lot less pain on both sides. My son is getting better grades and seems much happier about going to school now too.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:12 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
That's your choice. How you can be proud of it, I don't know, but I agree to disagree. Would you approve of teachers using corporal punishment in school? They control kids all the time without hitting.

I'm just curious, do you think teachers should be allowed to 'switch the kids' again?
Yes I do, and there are places where school paddling is still practiced. I went to a private school for several years that paddled.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:20 PM

1,577 posts, read 3,699,730 times
This'll be the parent that posts on here in a few years wondering why her teenagers are such a-holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniyasmommy View Post
I spank my kids all the time . Some of these little bad ass kids need thier behind spanked. Im so sick of seeing lil Johnny in the grocery store cursing out his mama acting a straight fool. Lil Johnny needs his ass kicked thats why he grows up to be a little punk ass.

My daughter has autism and that is no excuse to get away with everything so yes I spank her as a form of discipline . She is very sneaky ,mouthy and she likes to steal now and she's only 4. Everyone always says how she has so much personality and how sneaky she is . She is talking back to her teachers now telling them what she aint gonna do . Ill be damned ill show up to school in a bathrobe and a belt in my hand. LMAO My mother did that to me once and embarassed the hell out of me. We were teased for YEARS after that episode.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Yes I do, and there are places where school paddling is still practiced. I went to a private school for several years that paddled.
Yeah see that wouldn't work for me. I'd end up in jail for going to the school and paddling the teacher right back for touching my kids. If they got a problem with my kids, then tell me and I'LL handle it. Keep your mitts off em.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Yeah see that wouldn't work for me. I'd end up in jail for going to the school and paddling the teacher right back for touching my kids. If they got a problem with my kids, then tell me and I'LL handle it. Keep your mitts off em.
Well, don't move down south. Southern jails are the worst.

Although most people who talk tough about what they would or wouldn't do are just talking out their you-know-what anyway.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Well, don't move down south. Southern jails are the worst.

Although most people who talk tough about what they would or wouldn't do are just talking out their you-know-what anyway.
Its worth it where my kids are concerned. If I don't hit em, no one else is going to either. My dad defended me way back when too when the school told them I was going to get a spanking for screwing around in class. About 10 minutes later my Dad is charging into the office, tells me to stay right where I am and gets right in the principal's face and dared him to hit me. The Principal backed down and I went home with my dad and mom after a few tense minutes. I'd do the same for my kids.

This isn't something minor like getting your fast food order wrong and talking crap about giving the manager a piece of your mind. This is your child, your kin, your heart and soul. No contest. I'd risk jail and even death itself for my kids.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Its worth it where my kids are concerned. If I don't hit em, no one else is going to either. My dad defended me way back when too when the school told them I was going to get a spanking for screwing around in class. About 10 minutes later my Dad is charging into the office, tells me to stay right where I am and gets right in the principal's face and dared him to hit me. The Principal backed down and I went home with my dad and mom after a few tense minutes. I'd do the same for my kids.
Your dad should've been in the slammer, and you should too if you repeated his disgraceful example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting