U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2009, 12:13 PM

1,747 posts, read 2,618,878 times

Advertisements

From what I'm reading, it sounds to me as if those of you who spank contend that spanked children grow up to be moral, upstanding, law-abiding, respectful citizens. And children who are not spanked grow up to be spoiled brats, lazy, disrespectful narcissists and undisciplined degenerates.

What evidence do you have?

Old 04-29-2009, 12:21 PM

3,238 posts, read 7,817,526 times
I'm one of four children who were never spanked. All of us have children who were never spanked. A couple of them now have kids who have never been spanked. Some children are biological, some adopted, some step-kids. No one has ever been in jail, on drugs, in trouble at school, had an illegitimate child, ran away from home, or turned to prostitution.

If you have to resort to hitting, no matter how you justify it, you've lost control. There are better ways. In our families, time and attention is what does it.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:46 PM

1,747 posts, read 2,618,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
... It was also not the easier path because in the privacy of our bedroom I cried when I spanked them...
Please don't take this the wrong way, El Amigo, because I'm getting the impression from your post that you're not a "slap the taste out of their mouth" type of spanking parent. But I'm curious. Why did you cry after administering the spankings? What caused the tears?

Can you name the emotion?

Old 04-29-2009, 01:52 PM

12,715 posts, read 11,191,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
If you have to resort to hitting, no matter how you justify it, you've lost control.
I don't "resort" to spanking. I choose to spank as a means of punishment. Totally different issue.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Do you have kids, DJ? (I don't remember)

The other methods do work, btw. Every person reacts differently to various stimuli. No one method works for every person. If spanking works for you, fine, but that doesn't necessarily follow that it works for every one else. Each their own. No one is stupid because they don't mimic you.
Yes, I do. And yes, you're quite right, those other methods work for some kids at some times.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:55 PM

4,896 posts, read 5,864,783 times
Quote:
Can you name the emotion?
I am not elamigo but, unless he is a sadist, the only emotion I can think of to make him cry would be the pain he knew his children felt and he loved them.........what else would there be ? Just curious.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:56 PM

3,238 posts, read 7,817,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I don't "resort" to spanking. I choose to spank as a means of punishment. Totally different issue.
Semantics.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Semantics.
"Semantics" (word meanings) are very important in communication. But in this case, no, it is not "semantics" because you mentioned the issue of loss of control. Punishment is something that happens after you regain control.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:09 PM

101 posts, read 484,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Well young men don't mind being whores when that time comes and they don't take any more medications than they need to be able to think straight. Ratilin isn't addicting (none of them are actually). They aren't sitting there begging to have more. More often than not they forget about it and need to be reminded even though its clear its worn off.

Hitting a kid with that condition or getting in their faces doesn't do any good. They aren't able to totally think straight and their memory spans are very short. Your pissing in the wind thinking that spanking the kid will do any good in this scenario. The meds help them think straight and make everyone's lives around them easier, as well.

Autistic kids DO act like fools. Their mental maturity is proven to be slower developing than a "normal" child's. They can't help it or do anything about how their brain develops. They are in their own little worlds most of the time. Its annoying, awkward, frustrating, yes, but its part of their disability and is who they are regardless of what you want them to do or what physical things you do to them. In fact, that's making it worse and will hinder their ability and likely make them very introverted and unsocial adults.

If you can't control them, you may as well support them and help them thru this difficult time. They are never going to behave like "normal" non-autistic kids, so your the one that needs to adjust too, not just her. Yes, the kids need to learn how to behave civilly to an extent, but the parents need to be the mature ones and know how to accept them for who they are and accept their limitations.

If your children were physically disabled and couldn't walk as fast, would you be kicking their butts to make them walk normal like everyone else when its beyond their ability to do so? Its the same concept except this is a disability of the brain. She'll never be able to conform to what you want from her. It isn't possible. You want a normal 4 yr old kid and she isn't one. She's a disabled little girl, so treat her like a disabled little girl.

4 is pretty early for a child to be diagnosed with autism.
I cant speak for other children but I can speak on my child and she is very much a normal 4 year old. She talks, knows her abcs,colors and she reads etc. She has a personality. She's not introverted at all . She's extremly social . Most people dont know she has autism until I tell them. She has mild PDD nos . I had no trouble potty training her..I didnt potty train her until she was almost 3 and within 2 days she was diaperless and never had an accident. 4 isnt too young...Most kids are diagnosed at around age 2 and my daughter was diagnosed at 2.9 years old . I think my child will grow up and be normal maybe not totally normal but mostly normal. Her speech is still a little off but other than that she's fine. She has a huge vocabalary. I just cant conversate with her..Like If I ask her something she will repeat what I asked or ignore the question totally .

Old 04-29-2009, 02:21 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,361,805 times
Spanking can be an appropriate form of punishment of a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or