Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 03:15 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Its worth it where my kids are concerned. If I don't hit em, no one else is going to either. My dad defended me way back when too when the school told them I was going to get a spanking for screwing around in class. About 10 minutes later my Dad is charging into the office, tells me to stay right where I am and gets right in the principal's face and dared him to hit me. The Principal backed down and I went home with my dad and mom after a few tense minutes. I'd do the same for my kids.

This isn't something minor like getting your fast food order wrong and talking crap about giving the manager a piece of your mind. This is your child, your kin, your heart and soul. No contest. I'd risk jail and even death itself for my kids.
Absolutely. I'd never send my kid to a school that practiced corporal punishment. Too many people just get off on their sadistic little tendencies.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:17 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
I doubt that parents belt their kids any longer. But they probably should.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-28-2009, 03:35 PM

427 posts, read 1,387,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
What did the parents do with the branches that the kids have to keep going to get more

New branch each time. And it was only my mom, my uncle is 14 years older. And my grandfather was wonderful. Basically my granmother was menopausal when she had my mom and was a B**ch. Hence the reason in HS my mother worked 2 jobs, was a national honor student and bought everything she ever owned, so it could never be taken away.

These days DCF would probably be called, for abuse and neglect. Luckily my mom turned out fine.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:45 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I doubt that parents belt their kids any longer. But they probably should.
Some still do. Too many of them have been brainwashed into thinking it's against the law.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:49 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,011,917 times
Many spankers seem to feel that spanking is a deterrent and that children who are spanked are tend to be better behaved in the long run than those who aren't. It seems to me that spankers also contend that children are raised in non-spanking families are, by definition, spoiled brats who have no respect for their parents or anyone else.

I'd be curious to see a survey of offenders as to whether they'd been spanked as children. Juvy offenders, minor offenders, hard-core criminals in prison... I know other aspects of their upbringing have probably impacted their lives and their decisions to lead lawbreaking lives (drugs, no dad, etc).

I'm sure none would say "I robbed that store because my momma spanked me when I was a kid". But I'm just wondering if there is any correlation, one way or the other. Either way it turned out (90% of all people arrested were spanked vs 90% of all people arrested were never spanked...), I think the results would be interesting.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Some still do. Too many of them have been brainwashed into thinking it's against the law.
Well, in Michigan, signs of child abuse include welts and bruises. You may not be arrested, but if someone notices the marks you put on your child, you may at least have to talk to DCS.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post
Many spankers seem to feel that spanking is a deterrent and that children who are spanked are tend to be better behaved in the long run than those who aren't. It seems to me that spankers also contend that children are raised in non-spanking families are, by definition, spoiled brats who have no respect for their parents or anyone else.

I'd be curious to see a survey of offenders as to whether they'd been spanked as children. Juvy offenders, minor offenders, hard-core criminals in prison... I know other aspects of their upbringing have probably impacted their lives and their decisions to lead lawbreaking lives (drugs, no dad, etc).

I'm sure none would say "I robbed that store because my momma spanked me when I was a kid". But I'm just wondering if there is any correlation, one way or the other. Either way it turned out (90% of all people arrested were spanked vs 90% of all people arrested were never spanked...), I think the results would be interesting.
I would be very, very surprised to learn that most violent criminals were not abused as children or witnesses to long-term spousal abuse. I would also be surprised to learn that most child abusers didn't justify their actions with, "He deserved it," "My mother beat me and I turned out fine," "This is just discipline," and "This is my right as a father (or husband)."

Of course, correlation does not equal causation, so there would have to be a comparison of people who were not violent criminals, as you said. I just believe that people learn violence at home.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:04 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Well, in Michigan, signs of child abuse include welts and bruises. You may not be arrested, but if someone notices the marks you put on your child, you may at least have to talk to DCS.
That is true. Ideally, a spanking will only leave a red bottom that fades quickly, rather than welts or bruises.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
That is true. Ideally, a spanking will only leave a red bottom that fades quickly, rather than welts or bruises.
This I can agree with!

Old 04-28-2009, 04:18 PM

484 posts, read 1,367,288 times
i was beaten as a belt with a child by my mother regularly when i did not listen or i misbehaved, i have memories to this day of huddling in a corner trying to hide. i could not ever imagine doing that to my child. my mother even gave others permission to beat me too. my grand parents would let lose and have a go with the belt with me too if i did something wrong. these were her parents and i guess that is where she learned it from. throughout my life, the time i spent with her anyways.. the abuse went on and on clumps of my hair on the floor bloody lip black eyes and welts from the belt that were really awful looking so she would keep me home from school and claim i had the flu. its no wonder i grew up hating her guts really and became the "rebellious child" i spent most of my childhood years in placements and foster homes. i thought that i was taken away because i was a bad child. come to find out many many years later, when my sister's (who also got such lovely treatment from mom) psychiatrist petitioned records of the company that had the placement and foster care for us, that we ere in fact taken away. i had no idea. i thought i was such a horrible kid really.

anyways.. i could not ever imagine my child huddled in a corner screaming and begging not to be beaten.

there is no excuse as far as i am concerned for anyone to beat their children with a belt. raising kids is a tough job. it takes lots of love, understanding, time and patience, not abuse.

the above is my experience and my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting