Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2011, 12:57 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,052,379 times

Advertisements

I could not disagree more. Physical punishment is unlikely to have any positive effect in this case. He already thinks hitting is the logical solution to frustration.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:54 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipMC View Post
You people tell me you wouldn't give a good spanking to this kid?

YouTube - ‪BOY SLAPS MOM ON DR. PHIL (+SUBTITLES)‬‏
An absolutely pathetic video......The woman (in my opinion) hasn't any idea of how to properly parent a child.I can honestly say NO..I wouldn't give a good spanking to the kid.....maybe the mother though....Our children are reflections of us.....I feel sorry for the kid....not the mother.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:04 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipMC View Post
You people tell me you wouldn't give a good spanking to this kid?

YouTube - ‪BOY SLAPS MOM ON DR. PHIL (+SUBTITLES)‬‏
Why in the world would you hit a kid to teach him it's not right to hit?

Old 07-12-2011, 03:33 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,616 times
Interesting isn't it that the recent Dr Phil video does not show on the City Data forum?

I wonder if that is and indication of how uncomfortable we all are with this topic. We just wish that we did not have to discuss it. We wish that our kids were well behaved. There is an earlier post where a poster says "I can't wait for this thread to die".

I wish that discipline and spanking in particular was not such a cringe topic. The approach has been to hide it and ban it and the effect has been stressed out parents who give up on parenting.

To me it would be much better if the topic were able to be discussed and that would include ways of spanking effectively but that is a very taboo topic.

I would say from the little I watched of the video that the first thing is that the mother is not in authority. She is negotiating with the kid. She is making excuses. It is a race to the bottom of mediocrity.

The mother needs to learn to be comfortable and confident with being in authority. This is the case irrespective of whether one uses corporal punishment as the method of punishment.

As a part of that authority, the mother would then put the kid on a diet. The little fellow is FAT! and that again is an example of lack of self control and I would suspect lack of boundaries in general and lack of self esteme on the part of the kid.

Once the position of authority is understood then and only then is there any point in having punishment.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:41 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Exactly. I put my little ones in time out...in a big chair in the living room...and they would not LEAVE that chair for anything...they usually just sat there, reading books, or crying, until their time was up. I never had to fight to keep them there, or argue with them, and they would not leave...it was because Mama was the boss...I did not have to carry a big stick and threaten them. I never spanked my kids...because I just never wanted to.

But, like I said...my fifteen year old son...he was "disciplined" one time by his Father...and never sassed us again.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:54 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I could not disagree more. Physical punishment is unlikely to have any positive effect in this case. He already thinks hitting is the logical solution to frustration.
Which leads me to believe he has been hit before by someone. Kids do not lash out like this without having gotten the idea somehow that hitting solves problems.

I looked up the show. The clip does not give the full situation. They had lost their daughter (sister to the son) a few years before and were so overcome with grief that they take it out on the son (the one slapping the mom). When his sister died, the mom checked out as a parent and resented that he had lived, so she took it out on him.

You may want to look at the whole picture (there were several other moms and kids on the show besides Wendy and Noah)

Dr. Phil.com - Shows - The Dr. Phil House: Brat Camp, Part 3

Old 07-12-2011, 03:56 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Children in grief act it out physically, because they are not emotionally mature enough to integrate those feelings internally, so they display the emotions externally.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:38 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,877,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
So, do parents use a belt anymore on their kids?
God yes!
The little monsters!
They just don't get it that belts don't just hold your britches up but their fashionable too!!!

Old 07-12-2011, 06:42 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,877,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Exactly. I put my little ones in time out...in a big chair in the living room...and they would not LEAVE that chair for anything...they usually just sat there, reading books, or crying, until their time was up.
I have 13 year old twins and my favorite way to torture them when they start bickering too much is what we call "The Chairs!!!"

The have to sit facing eachother until each tell the other not what the other did or could have done differently to resolve the conflict, but by telling and owning what they themselves did or could have done differently to resolve the conflict.

It makes them squirm!!!! heh-heh

Old 07-12-2011, 06:46 PM

89 posts, read 175,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
God yes!
The little monsters!
They just don't get it that belts don't just hold your britches up but their fashionable too!!!

Hahah Love you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting