U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 10:44 AM

15,527 posts, read 29,228,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
I used to come home before curfew. Wait till everyone was asleep then go back out where my friends were waiting. As long as I got back before anyone got up, I was fine. To this day my parents don't know I used to do that and talk about how I was also so good about respecting curfew.

Does it really work nowadays?
I guess it depends on whether or not your children respect you enough to follow the rules.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 10:49 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,265,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I guess it depends on whether or not your children respect you enough to follow the rules.

20yrsinBranson
Respected em fine, I just didn't wanna be back home at 10pm those nights

Thats pretty much as "awful" a teenager I got other than the usual experimenting with alcohol and cigarettes we all did. I never got into those things, so my parents never had to worry about that stuff.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:23 PM

427 posts, read 1,210,356 times
I never really had a curfew. In high-school as long as I got myself up for school I didn't have a bed time, and if I went out as long as I told my mom where I was going and if I was going to be late I had to call, but other than that no curfew.

But my mom was always honest with me, and she knew that I would never do drugs(never have), I can't the smell of smoke, so no smoking, and I was always allowed to try alcohol so I never felt the need to get drunk at parties. There was an understanding that if I ever got drunk, or a friend who was driving was drunk that she would pick us up no questions asked.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:00 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,289,385 times
I never really had a curfew myself, either. I still remember coming in really late (or should I say early am) and trying to stay as quiet as possible, because if I did wake my parents, they may not be too happy! My house was always the place to spend the night, especially if we had a party to go to, because everyone knew I had no curfew!

Now, as for my kids, at this point, they are too young (10 & 11) and don't go out on their own. But when they come of age, they will have a curfew. And since we have an alarm system that we set at night, they may have a hard time sneaking out, because it will go off if any exterior door or window is opened! Also, we live out in the middle of nowhere, so it may be hard for them to get somewhere without being heard! I am sure they will try to figure out a way though.

This reminds me of a "sneaking out" story......... I was staying the night at a friends house and we decided to sneak out through the backyard. So we climb out her window and head out across the yard. She looks back at me and says "Shh, be real quiet" and then as she is tip toeing through the yard, starts letting off these little farts!! Then we are both laughing and trying to be quiet when she trips over a rake!! Well at this point, we both end up on the ground laughing hysterically...........and got caught!! We said some kind of dumb story about playing in the backyard - - - - - - no one got in any trouble, they just made us go in!!

Old 05-01-2009, 09:29 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,952,246 times
I had a curfew. I was late once and my punishment was that my new curfew was an hour earlier, permanently. It was understood that if I was late again, my curfew would be yet another hour earlier, and on and on. I was sure to never be late again!

Old 05-01-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I had a curfew. I was late once and my punishment was that my new curfew was an hour earlier, permanently. It was understood that if I was late again, my curfew would be yet another hour earlier, and on and on. I was sure to never be late again!
That would be just asking for rebellion. The tighter the grip the more resistance you get.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:06 AM

1,747 posts, read 2,618,392 times
I had an 11pm curfew as a teen. My mother was adamant about it. I only broke it once, and it wasn't *really* my fault. Something happened, I can't remember what, and I was about 10 minutes late. Didn't matter. She was livid! Boy, did I get an earful of angry guilt-tripping. She probably ranted got a good 30 minutes. Yikes.

These days, things are different. With the advent of cell phones, I'm not nearly as anal about curfew as my mother was. I understand her point. My being 10 minutes late caused her 10 minutes of grief and anguish about where her precious was. Was I in a ditch? Was I dead? Mother had no way of knowing.

Fast-forward to me as mom. Didn't establish any specific curfew. Each outing was considered on its own. As long as we were given a reasonable time to expect him, fine. If there was ANY reason why he thought he couldn't make that time, he was to call.

He always did, so there was no reason to get any more strict about it.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:11 AM

Same with us. My Dad would lock us out at 10pm, but Mom had an extra key hidden in the backyard. As long as I wasn't overly late, they were cool about it. They weren't clock watchers, so 5 minutes wasn't that bigga deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post
I had an 11pm curfew as a teen. My mother was adamant about it. I only broke it once, and it wasn't *really* my fault. Something happened, I can't remember what, and I was about 10 minutes late. Didn't matter. She was livid! Boy, did I get an earful of angry guilt-tripping. She probably ranted got a good 30 minutes. Yikes.

These days, things are different. With the advent of cell phones, I'm not nearly as anal about curfew as my mother was. I understand her point. My being 10 minutes late caused her 10 minutes of grief and anguish about where her precious was. Was I in a ditch? Was I dead? Mother had no way of knowing.

Fast-forward to me as mom. Didn't establish any specific curfew. Each outing was considered on its own. As long as we were given a reasonable time to expect him, fine. If there was ANY reason why he thought he couldn't make that time, he was to call.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:15 PM

24,717 posts, read 59,563,864 times
I used to sneak out regualrly. My room was on the second floor, so I had to cross the roof and climb down an apple tree. I had spare keys hidden all over th eplace outside and I would roll a car down to the end of the driveway and then take off. I THOUGHT that my parents did nto know. Turns out that they did.

We have curfew but it can be waived if they call before curfew time and they have a good reason. Our kids are very well behaved and very responsible (unlike me on both counts) sowe are not overly concerned. They obey the curfew becuase they generally do nto break the rules. We give them a lot of privileges and independence. They know that they can lose that very quickly if they do not follow the rules, so they follow the rules.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:31 PM

3,238 posts, read 7,816,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post

I think that's probably why I don't give my kids a curfew. If I'm concerned about their welfare, I call them. The rule is, if you don't pick up your phone when I call, you lose it for two weeks. I had to call AT&T once to have my son's phone disconnected. He had to use the family phone for two weeks. That cured him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting