U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 06:30 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,465,565 times

Advertisements

In high school I had to be in by 11 but didn't always make it. My mother would ground me then forget she did a week later. I never did anything bad, just dated and drove around with my friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 08:47 PM

887 posts, read 2,612,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
Drinking and parties are about the only things that kids do around here and about the only reason why kids would sneak out or break curfews. I guess we took the fun out of those activities when we told them we knew that it was normal for kids to want to do those things. All we asked of them was that they did not drive home drunk, or ride with someone who was drunk and if they needed a ride to call us and we would come and get them and whomever else needed a ride no questions asked. All we wanted to know was who they were with and where they would be. We also told them that if they got busted for drinking underage they suffered the consequences and we would not bail them out.
I like all of your posts but this part. I think that if my kid got arrested, I'd do whatever it took to get him out of it since a criminal record is not something you want your kid you. However, the punishment for getting legally caught would be dealt with at home.

I guess I understand how its really like to be a teenager. My favorite thing was getting "****ed up" on the weekends, but my wife comes from an entirely different world from I. She never did that kind of stuff (grew up in Massachusettes and attended a private prep school)

Old 05-02-2009, 08:35 AM

2,466 posts, read 4,201,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
I like all of your posts but this part. I think that if my kid got arrested, I'd do whatever it took to get him out of it since a criminal record is not something you want your kid you. However, the punishment for getting legally caught would be dealt with at home.

I guess I understand how its really like to be a teenager. My favorite thing was getting "****ed up" on the weekends, but my wife comes from an entirely different world from I. She never did that kind of stuff (grew up in Massachusettes and attended a private prep school)
I understand too what it's like to be a teen, especially a teen here where we live. I spent most weekends drunk myself and even ditched a lot of school and forged my mom's signature to get drunk. But just because it's what a lot of teens do around here for entertainment doesn't make it any less illegal. I was very lucky that I never hurt someone or was hurt myself on occasions. My DH was in several accidents, either himself driving or driving with someone while everyone in the car was wasted and he too was very lucky that no-one was killed or seriously injured and that the wrecks only involved the car he was in and and things like trees and fences.

My kids know it is illegal to drink underage and they know it is dangerous to drive drunk whether they are legal to drink or not. Drinking and partying may be the one big thing kids do around here, but it definately is NOT the only thing to do on weekends or any other time during the week. So because they know and understand that drinking underage is illegal and they choose to go to a party or out with friends and drink, then they also choose to face the consequences for drinking underage. We would bail them out of jail only, but we would not plead for a reduced sentance or leiniency. Doing so, would not teach them anything and they might go off and get even more messed up and become an even greater danger to themselve or others because they think they are invincable and mommy and daddy will bail them out. Besides a kid's record can be sealed once they reach 18 or 21 depending on the crimes on their record, so it will not haunt them when they are out in the real world on their own. If the record affects them before it gets sealed, that is just part of the consequences.

The average kid at our local HS has an average of 3 Minor In Possesion tags on them. Everyone thinks it's cool and the more MIPs you have the more popular you are. Almost everyone of them were bailed out each time by their folks and barely got a slap on the wrist for drinking underage. My two older kids have gotton 0 MIPs and I have only picked one of them up drunk one time. Like I said my two older ones who are/were at the age of going out to parties ended up most of the time being a designated driver and chose not to drink.

We will let them drink occasionally with us but mainly for special occasions where we are in control of how much they drink and they are not allowed to go out and about. We too stand to face consquences of letting them drink in our home and if we have to ever face them, we would have to face them alone. Just because we let them drink occasionally in our home doesn't make it any less illegal.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:04 PM

887 posts, read 2,612,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
I understand too what it's like to be a teen, especially a teen here where we live. I spent most weekends drunk myself and even ditched a lot of school and forged my mom's signature to get drunk. But just because it's what a lot of teens do around here for entertainment doesn't make it any less illegal. I was very lucky that I never hurt someone or was hurt myself on occasions. My DH was in several accidents, either himself driving or driving with someone while everyone in the car was wasted and he too was very lucky that no-one was killed or seriously injured and that the wrecks only involved the car he was in and and things like trees and fences.

My kids know it is illegal to drink underage and they know it is dangerous to drive drunk whether they are legal to drink or not. Drinking and partying may be the one big thing kids do around here, but it definately is NOT the only thing to do on weekends or any other time during the week. So because they know and understand that drinking underage is illegal and they choose to go to a party or out with friends and drink, then they also choose to face the consequences for drinking underage. We would bail them out of jail only, but we would not plead for a reduced sentance or leiniency. Doing so, would not teach them anything and they might go off and get even more messed up and become an even greater danger to themselve or others because they think they are invincable and mommy and daddy will bail them out. Besides a kid's record can be sealed once they reach 18 or 21 depending on the crimes on their record, so it will not haunt them when they are out in the real world on their own. If the record affects them before it gets sealed, that is just part of the consequences.

The average kid at our local HS has an average of 3 Minor In Possesion tags on them. Everyone thinks it's cool and the more MIPs you have the more popular you are. Almost everyone of them were bailed out each time by their folks and barely got a slap on the wrist for drinking underage. My two older kids have gotton 0 MIPs and I have only picked one of them up drunk one time. Like I said my two older ones who are/were at the age of going out to parties ended up most of the time being a designated driver and chose not to drink.

We will let them drink occasionally with us but mainly for special occasions where we are in control of how much they drink and they are not allowed to go out and about. We too stand to face consquences of letting them drink in our home and if we have to ever face them, we would have to face them alone. Just because we let them drink occasionally in our home doesn't make it any less illegal.
Great post! About the MIP's.. they're very very rare here so that's the reason why I'd get my kid out of it since maybe 1% of the kids here get any trouble from the cops unless they kill someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting