U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 07:26 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,268,305 times

Advertisements

I used to come home before curfew. Wait till everyone was asleep then go back out where my friends were waiting. As long as I got back before anyone got up, I was fine. To this day my parents don't know I used to do that and talk about how I was also so good about respecting curfew.

Does it really work nowadays?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 09:04 AM

11,404 posts, read 16,015,671 times
My family's home is rigged up with a security system and when we moved in, my parents set it so that it would beep whenever one of the doors to the outside or first floor/basement window opened. We were young at the time so it was more about security than it was about curfew. As we grew older, it just became convenient. I never particularly had incentive to sneak out since all of my friends had curfews too and I didn't have a car, so I never messed with the security system. Now 13 years later and my parents have lost the manual to the security system and are scared to play around with it to turn the darn beeping off! It doesn't really bother them but it's annoying when I come home for breaks. They don't particularly care when I get home, but the beeping tends to wake up the whole house.

Most of my friends had the beeping doors situation too and even those who didn't were generally pretty good kids and didn't really feel the need to sneak out. My parents always allowed fairly late curfews provided that they knew who we were with and if we wanted to stay late/sleep over (which I think they always assumed was code for drinking- even though it wasn't!), 9 times out of 10 if I called my parents would have no problem with it.

I'm sure there are still kids shimmying down drainpipes and I suppose today most kids could just turn the beeping off!

Old 04-28-2009, 09:47 AM

2,466 posts, read 4,204,884 times
We have curfews here, granted the younger kids currently do not go anywhere with friends alone yet, the oldest of the younger ones is 12 yo, so they are generally out with an adult when they are out or they are at sleepovers. Curfews seemed to work for the older two. My oldest did try a few times of sneaking out and or sneaking friends in. We put an alarm system in and never had any more trouble with that. The control panel is in our bedroom so there is no way they could come in a shut the system off without waking us up.

My two older ones never really went and slept over at friend's houses. It just wasn't their thing I guess. They would occasionally have friends come and sleepover here, but mainly for B-days. My younger ones are always at sleepovers or having sleepovers themselves. My older two just weren't into partying and crowds. They are social but not social butterflies. If my oldest went to parties she went more to be a designated driver rather than be the one who needed a ride home. She'd have more fun watching the others make fools of themselves than being a fool herself. She is now legal to drink and does go out more now than she did back in High School, but she still limits her drinks and will start drinking non alcholic beverages when she's reached her limit.

Drinking and parties are about the only things that kids do around here and about the only reason why kids would sneak out or break curfews. I guess we took the fun out of those activities when we told them we knew that it was normal for kids to want to do those things. All we asked of them was that they did not drive home drunk, or ride with someone who was drunk and if they needed a ride to call us and we would come and get them and whomever else needed a ride no questions asked. All we wanted to know was who they were with and where they would be. We also told them that if they got busted for drinking underage they suffered the consequences and we would not bail them out. We would be there for them yes, but they would have to face the consequenses and they would have to take responsibility for their actions without mommy and daddy trying to get them off lightly.

We also explained that there really isn't anything to do past a certain time, but to get into trouble. Our town pretty much shuts down early. The only places that stay open past 10:00 p.m. is convenient stores, the movie theater which closes around 11:00 p.m., wal-mart, and a few fast food places. Pretty much anyone out past midnight are those that are at the bars drinking. Then when the bars spill out at 2:00 a.m. the streets are full of drunk drivers who could potentially hurt someone. For those out past midnight who not at the bars or at work they are most likely breaking into cars or vandalising. Which BTW doesn't happen all that often around here because those that are most likely going to do something like that are already home and in bed.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:05 AM

Thats true about the alarm systems. I probably would have figured out how it works and rigged it to be off while I was out and turned it back on when I got back.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:27 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,468,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
I used to come home before curfew. Wait till everyone was asleep then go back out where my friends were waiting. As long as I got back before anyone got up, I was fine. To this day my parents don't know I used to do that and talk about how I was also so good about respecting curfew.

Does it really work nowadays?
Quote:
Thats true about the alarm systems. I probably would have figured out how it works and rigged it to be off while I was out and turned it back on when I got back.

You were BAD!!!

Seriously, we always had curfew. We weren't always home by then, but we did have one.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:32 AM

13,123 posts, read 17,674,374 times
omg you guys are lucky I had curfew and broke it one time and that was the last time I broke it . My mother was in my room with the lights turned off and sitting in my rocking chair . I still remember she had the belt on her lap and was quiet as a church mouse . she scared the crap out of me cause she did not say anything untill I was fully in the room . I remember the whacks I got and never broke curfew again and also had to work in the house all that week . Yes my mother did make curfew work and she did it with alot of disipline .

Old 04-28-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post

You were BAD!!!

Seriously, we always had curfew. We weren't always home by then, but we did have one.

hehe yeah I was crafty teenager. I didn't like to be controlled and we didn't do anything we weren't suppose to do, I just wanted to hang out with my friends and be free to do what I wanted I always got home around midnight, so I really only snuck out for about 2 hours those nights. Everyone at home was out cold by then.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
omg you guys are lucky I had curfew and broke it one time and that was the last time I broke it . My mother was in my room with the lights turned off and sitting in my rocking chair . I still remember she had the belt on her lap and was quiet as a church mouse . she scared the crap out of me cause she did not say anything untill I was fully in the room . I remember the whacks I got and never broke curfew again and also had to work in the house all that week . Yes my mother did make curfew work and she did it with alot of disipline .
wow. Breaking curfew means get abused? not a fair trade imho

I'd have gotten yelled at and maybe suspended under close scrutiny. At WORST my dad would have put bars over the windows lol, but physical abuse? no, that only makes rebellious kids MORE rebellious.

gotta add that if the bars were put up, I'd have snuck out my brother's window instead I was incoragable

Old 04-28-2009, 10:39 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,468,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
You could have come to my house. My mother was strict, but only punished when we went W-A-Y over the edge.

I can't imagine what you must have thought. My heart would have stopped when she made her self known.
Quote:
hehe yeah I was crafty teenager. I didn't like to be controlled and we didn't do anything we weren't suppose to do, I just wanted to hang out with my friends and be free to do what I wanted I always got home around midnight, so I really only snuck out for about 2 hours those nights. Everyone at home was out cold by then.
That's funny. You must have been a lot of fun.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:40 AM

3,238 posts, read 7,821,882 times
I don't give my kids curfews. I tell them to come home at a reasonable time, and if it gets very late to call. I also tell them to wake me up when they come in, which they do, and then I check the clock. I've never had a problem with this method. I mean my daughter coming home from the prom at 2 AM is pretty reasonable, don't you think?

However, my 19 year old son (when he was younger) would then climb back out his window on occasion. I mostly caught him. When he did that, I would shut off his cell phone for a couple weeks, and he had to talk to all his friends at the family phone. That kind of took care of that problem. Now I just tell him to walk out the front door if he wants to go out, just let me know where he is.

I also did the thing where I don't expect them to ride with someone who's been drinking, and to call if they want a ride with no questions asked. I did have to pick up my daughter from a sleep over one time because the girls wanted to do something she didn't want to do. I don't know what it was, didn't ask, but was glad to pick her up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting