Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 08:18 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,485,293 times

Advertisements

Maybe I am just getting old & boring....

I have noticed that there is a new show on MTV that is on at 10pm that is about a girl who is bisexual & doesn't know if she wants a boyfriend or a girlfriend. The overall content of things I heard in the show really surprised me; very overtly sexual with the usual reality show people doing what they do best. I guess I was just surprised b/c I know this station is geared toward young people & any more it seems their programming is pushing the envelope more & more.

During my son's nap the other afternoon, I was flipping through stations & this show was on at 3:00pm!

So, any age group could be watching this show. It seemed so mature to be on at such a time period. I think there is a time & place for everything & that this station overstepped it boundaries.

Wondering how parents feel about the content of tv shows & how they handle it? Would you want your 12 year old home from school watching this? Is so, why? If not, why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 09:26 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,439,796 times
My 12-year-old will definitely know what bisexuality is, so I wouldn't have an issue with that. I would have an issue with the overall witlessness of the programming on MTV, and wouldn't encourage my kids to watch it. But just for bisexual content, no, I'd have no problem at all.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 6,475 times
Tila Tequila is notorious for whoring herself on MySpace and her recent foray into television is disgusting. The whole bisexuality thing seems another way for her to "stand out"- I don't believe for one second that she is truly bisexual.
To me, this is another bad role model for young girls to emulate. She got her career going by taking exploitive pictures and being a generally filthy and raunchy party girl.
MTV scores another big fat zero in my book. My kids won't be watching this show either.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:27 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,572,858 times
If parents are being parents then they would monitor what their children watch. MTV, BET, VH1 are not networks that have programming for a young children.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:46 PM

895 posts, read 4,240,047 times
I've been having issues with my kids watching TV lately. My girls usually get home from school and my 2yo turns the TV on (she can't be in a room without turning it on) Our TV is usually set for Noggin because my 2yo likes to watch "Little Bill" in the morning. After 3PM, Noggin's programming ends and the content becomes pretty adult. The other day, I caught them watching Noggin and I quickly changed the channel. That night at dinner, my daughter asked my husband if he knew that girls could kiss other girls on the mouth like boys and girls do. My husband flipped out. Our daughter is six and we didn't want to have these conversations yet!!

Old 10-26-2007, 10:26 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,572,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
I've been having issues with my kids watching TV lately. My girls usually get home from school and my 2yo turns the TV on (she can't be in a room without turning it on) Our TV is usually set for Noggin because my 2yo likes to watch "Little Bill" in the morning. After 3PM, Noggin's programming ends and the content becomes pretty adult. The other day, I caught them watching Noggin and I quickly changed the channel. That night at dinner, my daughter asked my husband if he knew that girls could kiss other girls on the mouth like boys and girls do. My husband flipped out. Our daughter is six and we didn't want to have these conversations yet!!
Wow! It's difficult which is why I limit my daughters' television habits. I'll let her watch Hannah Montana and most of the Disney shows. I allow Animal Planet - unmonitored which she really likes. Then there are certain shows we'll watch together over the weekend/evening like Home Makeover or some movies on the Family Channel. I used to also get this cable channel called Boomerang which showed all the old cartoons that I watched growing up (i.e. Flinstones; Popeye; Jetsons, etc.). I can't get it anymore, I'll have to call the cable company and find out why

It's sad that television has changed and is forcing negative culture on children. When I was growing up, my Mother didn't have to monitor our television because it was more wholesome..........aw those days

Old 10-27-2007, 06:01 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,024,370 times
It's funny, I was raised 'as long as I was home (little miss boring) whatever I read or watched was not censored.' (clueless parents?) I was reading some pretty graphic (romance novels can be graphic!) and so forth at a young age. Okay tv was not so bad as in the '70s but we watched a lot of 'adult' shows compared to kids today. I remember watching Good Times, All In the Family, Sanford and Son, Family (serious show) and more as a child. The difference was we had one tv and all watched together as a family.

My son is 9 and I do censor what he watches because things are not the same. The storylines in those old shows were mainly political or got you thinking. Today kids have Disney Channel, Nick AND Cartoon Network (though Adult Swim is off limited. My husband and son watch Anime cartoons like Naruto but I am not sure about those. )

My son doesn't watch MTV or VH1. I only started letting him watch Ed, Edd, and Eddy (stupid, stupid show). I don't wish to make him a nerd but some programs are not acceptable for kids and will not be on in my home. We watch a lot of science shows (some can be 'graphic'), and we all sit down on Fridays to Man Vs. Wild or something similar. My son likes Ned on Nick and is into Goosebumps now.

No, he doesn't need to see 'bisexuality' or anything like that now.

Parents pretend to be hip but it's easier to give in than say no. Poor parenting.

My 4 year old nephew (with 3 older brothers) loves wrestling. That's gotten VERY inappropriate over the years. But what do you do when you have multiple kids and the big ones (teens) want to watch something? I don't have that problem with one child. But I am sure many of you do.

MTV and so on have gone down hill IMO...
Maybe family watching is the answer again--one tv--so you can explain things to your kids.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:02 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,816,626 times
The reality is that once the kids today hit middle school there will people calling themselves bisexual. I have to wonder if any of them really know what it means or if they are looking for attention- but in sixth grade my son talked about girls and boys being bisexual.

I've raised him to be accepting of all lifestyles from when he was younger. We have several friends who are gay/lesbian and some even have children. We've had numerous conversations about how people can love each other and I think his comfort and understanding of all kinds of love and relationships helped him to accept and understand his classmates.

As a matter of fact, he didn't have to be told that some of these kids were just trying to make a spectacle of themselves- he figured it out on his own.

I think a show like the one on MTV, although inappropriate in some people's opinions is a golden opportunity for you to open a discussion with your children about different lifestyles, making good choices, being true to oneself, etc. They are going to see and hear so much at a significantly younger age than we did and they need to be able to understand and trust that then can get honest answers from a trusted adult.

Even with younger kids- there will be the questions or statements about Johnny's two moms and what not. Tolerance and acceptance is imperative in this day and age.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:56 PM

895 posts, read 4,240,047 times
Pirate Girl: Your comments were very thought out and objective and I thank you for them. You are 100% correct about tolerance and acceptance.

Many of the other posts wrote about the differences in the way TV was when we were kids and today. It just seems that everything has to be monitored and censored today. One TV sounds like a fabulous idea but doesn't work at our house (I have another TV in my bedroom for me) because all my husband wants to watch is sports and my girls want to watch something that isn't sports! Even though my oldest is a little too mature for the preschool cartoons her younger sisters watch, I don't let her watch other programs yet because I don't want my younger ones to be interested too early. I want them to stay "young" as long as possible.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:48 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,935,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
If parents are being parents then they would monitor what their children watch. MTV, BET, VH1 are not networks that have programming for a young children.

LOL!! you put BET.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting