Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are they born that way?
Yes 26 42.62%
No, they're all the same, and how they turn out is environmental. 22 36.07%
Put me down for whichever answer is politically correct. 3 4.92%
I don't know. 10 16.39%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 04:57 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,550,413 times

Advertisements

I believe within our personality we bring certian tendencies or traits.

How the environment shape makes the difference.

I will use and example:

A child may be an agressive type. If grows in a neighborhood where survival of the fittest is the way to live and all he sees people killing to survive, eat, take care of number one all the time, etc. he will most likely grow bad in the community.

However, I am sure some will say some kids do grow in crime ridden areas and do not grow that way. That happens in any environment and usually they tend to be the exception to their sorroundings.

However, the bell curve mose likely apply also.

Now, an agressive child with parents that closely look at their kids and with guidance may teach him how to handle agression the right way by maybe playing football? How about getting him into boxing? Some of those sports help them get rid of the agressive energy they may have but in a positive way.

This is one way I think the environment may help.

There is one thing to note that nature may be part of how a child may be. There is a part of the brian that takes care of ethics and those related subjective areas of our personality. Studies have shown that individual before a brain injury were good people and very moral have turned bad and with not conscience anymore after a brain injure to that part of the brain.
With this in mind I tend to believe that in some cases some children may be born with a deficiency in their brain to be good, ethical, and have a conscience. I think this is not different that an autistic child or a other children born with mental defficiencies. In this case some children may be borne with that part of the brain not able to function properly.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 05:56 PM

756 posts, read 2,218,377 times
It's a combination of both. Families of multiple children know how their personalities are all different despite being raised in the same household. Clearly, children are born with their own personalities. How their environment encourages and nurtures these traits (or not) definately has some bearing on how these children will develop and what kind of adult they will become.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:28 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
I think nature trumps nurture.

This is a great book about it:
Amazon.com: The Nurture Assumption: Why Children Turn Out the Way They Do, Revised and Updated: Judith Rich Harris: Books

Old 05-04-2009, 08:04 PM

20 posts, read 53,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post

I don't know about that. My neighbor had a couple tomato plants growing from a bucket in her yard. My othe neighbor and I took one each when it started to over crowd. We both planted them in the same areas of our yards. We both take pretty good care. I forgot however to water a couple of times and noticed that my area got just a bit less sun for a couple of hours of the day.

Let's just say that her salads were decorated with beautiful red pieces of fruit while mine was just plain lettuce

Old 05-05-2009, 01:21 AM

35 posts, read 101,394 times
i think children are born with different amounts of resilience and some are more affected by their enviroment than others.
and yes,some babies are easier than others,but that doesn't make them good or bad,just different personalities.an alert ,curious ,independant,very active baby may be more difficult to parent,but they are all positive traits to have.wether you find your baby easy or difficult will depend on if you have personalities that clash(same as adults,we all like different types of people)and your expectations of parenthood.
some parents like a cuddly one,some like a live wire

Old 05-05-2009, 01:46 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
I believe each child is born with various propensities that are shaped by their environment.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:32 AM

598 posts, read 2,074,182 times
Generally, the way kids turn out is an interaction of about 20 things.

For one specific individual kids, sometimes it's mostly genetic, sometimes it's mostly environmental, most of the time it's both.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:41 AM

24 posts, read 83,012 times
I used to think it was due to the parent/s being messed up...but you see good kids from whacked out parents and bad kids from good parents....sooooo I have no idea.
Didn't B.F Skinner or Frued do a study with a childs environment on pre-determining how that child would turn out? I guess I'm not up to date enough on my psycho-analytical studies!lol! However, I believe that environment is a HUGE factor in determining this....not 100% of it, but a big chunk.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:33 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
I don't think children are born to be kind and generous - in fact, not at all. I'm a firm believer in the doctrine of original sin, which teaches that humans are born with an inclination to be violent, gluttonous, prideful, selfish, deceitful, envious, and immoral. Some of us, perhaps, are born with stronger inclinations to some of these than others, but these differences often form later in life. Through a proper upbringing, these vices can, at least somewhat, be conquered, by instructing the child in the virtues opposing them; but through a bad upbringing, they are amplified. However, it also takes effort on the part of the child / teen / adults, which is why good parents sometimes fail, and even blame themselves, when in reality their son or daughter is mostly culpable.

Also, don't underestimate the power of the peer group. In many cases, it becomes much stronger than parental influence after a certain age (10-14). I've seen many cases in which good kids are turned bad when the friends they hang out with start misbehaving. Peer pressure is an overwhelmingly strong influence for most kids.

Last edited by tvdxer; 05-02-2010 at 07:42 PM..

Old 05-02-2010, 07:47 PM

177 posts, read 471,096 times
psychologists have proven it time and time again.

behavior patterns and traits, along with other personality traits and habits, are learned through environment and habit. children being experimenting at an early age to test what the set boundaries are for them. if they learn that the boundaries are there only half the time, they will be harder to discipline at a later age, rather than a child who has consistent discipline who will consequently learn from habit to respect authority because it will not bend or break.

you as a parent choose the personality and behavior of your child to an extent. behavior is determined by how you define their behavior. lacking in parenting and discipline molds a child who is lacking in parenting and discipline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting