U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 01:13 PM

2,862 posts, read 6,261,642 times

Advertisements

My niece is graduating from high school and heading off to college next month and I want to get her a really special gift. She is pretty much a girly girl so jewelry is always a good idea, but I want it to be something unique or lasting. She is a Southern girl who loves her horses and SEC football! Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 01:26 PM

414 posts, read 1,594,762 times
The only 2 gifts I remember getting as a high school graduation gift (7 years ago) were an afghan that my aunt made in my high school colors and a scrapbook my mom made me of all the photos she took over my senior year. They both meant a lot to me and I have two really great pieces of memorbilia left from high school. I honestly don't remember any other gifts that were given.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:10 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,468,971 times
I gave my niece a box from Things Remembered with her name engraved on the top. It was made of wood and silver inlay. A couple years later, I gave her sister some kind of stick thing that you use two sticks to juggle a thing in between.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:25 PM

2,466 posts, read 4,204,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
My niece is graduating from high school and heading off to college next month and I want to get her a really special gift. She is pretty much a girly girl so jewelry is always a good idea, but I want it to be something unique or lasting. She is a Southern girl who loves her horses and SEC football! Any ideas?
Do you quilt? or know a quilter? My mom has made quilts for some of the kids she has gotten to know while watching basketball games. My sister who is the youngest has been out of high school for about 8years now, but my mom a stepdad still go and watch basketball and support the kids. Some of the kids she knows through their parents and some she gets to know while at the games.

Anyways, she has made a few of them quilts in either their favorite colors or their school colors. The kids absolutely love them and it's something that they can take to college with them and use. They can also use them in their first homes.

Maybe you could have a memory quilt with photos of her, her friends and family while she was growing up done or make a quilt in her favorite football team colors with horses on it. Something special just for her. I don't know how rushed you are for time, but if you are or know a good quilter and you/they have accsess to a quilt machine a twin sized quilt can be done up in about a weeks time from start to finish it might be a day or two longer for a full sized.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:39 PM

99 posts, read 222,919 times
I give books that I thin might be handy for kids starting out on their own. Some titles include Suze Orman's The Money Book for the Young, Fabulous & Broke; Cheryl Mendelson's Home Comforts : The Art and Science of Keeping House and Betty Crocker's Cookbook.

It might not be glamourous or even immediately appreciated but those three books will be referenced and appreciated in the next few years after graduation

Old 04-29-2009, 08:36 PM

21,144 posts, read 22,135,031 times
I'm always a big fan of Dr. Seuss's Oh, The Places You'll Go along with a personal note. Maria Shriver also had a nice book a few years back And One More Thing Before You Go.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:43 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,731,763 times
I LOVE the quilt idea!

Old 04-29-2009, 08:49 PM

12,256 posts, read 15,799,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I was given cash lol but I was also given a blank photo album for my college memories. I filled it up the first semester but I'll probably keep it forever. i got a lot of books, but I didn't really read any of them. The quilt is a great idea because it's something that would be out everyday. My mom brought me a really nice comforter and I still have it 7 years later - wow I'm dating myself no one add that up!

Old 04-29-2009, 09:16 PM

2,862 posts, read 6,261,642 times
Thanks everyone - those are all great ideas. I especially love the quilt idea. I suppose I could ask at the fabric store to find a quilter - I am definitely NOT that talented!

The quilt would really be special as well because when she was born I designed and embroidered a baby blanket for her (back before my own kids were born when I had time a plenty!). She drug it around for years until it was grey and shredded. A new blanket would be a symbolic milestone.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:53 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,657,673 times
I am goin through the same thing. I have like 40 neices and nephews and little cousins oh my! I have two neices and nephews who are graduating this year and I am broke. I am really close with them so I HAVE to get them something.

I think I'm going to get the girl a really nice journal or a keepsake box. The boy? Not so sure.

I came across this website. Lots of ideas. They have expensive to cheap ideas

50 Graduation Gift Ideas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting