U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-29-2009, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 22,598,671 times
Reputation: 10428

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
For both of mine, they were eating what we were eating b/w 10-12 months. I may be lucky, but I just make one meal. We are not on spices, beans or heavy creams but do a lot of fresh veggies (minus corn), fruit, salad & chicken.

Homemade pancakes; waffles; french toast...can put in blueberries or add some cinnamon
Vanilla yougurt...add granola or fruits
All sorts of cereals
Bananas; crushed pineapple; apples; pears; mandarin oranges; peaches
Pastas & rices
Mac & cheese...you can throw in some chicken
Quesidallas
Green beans, peas, brocolli, tomatoes, cooked carrots

I've always done & still do trial & error...since I don't use a lot of spices or creams, I just give them portions that are appropriate for them & see how it goes. Majority of the time it goes great but there have been & I still expect mild issues such as lack of appetite; moodiness; colds & so on.

Neither child cares for stir frys (the sauce is too much for them so I make stir fry & take out their portion prior to putting in the sauce).

After getting the all clear from the doc (which I made sure to do), I just continued on cooking the way I did prior to kids.
Sounds like we're doing pretty much what everyone else does - a lot of trial and error. And I've noticed they tend to never eat well for 3 meals in a day - there's always one meal where one of them isn't too interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-29-2009, 07:56 PM
 
Location: Maine
650 posts, read 1,931,025 times
Reputation: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Since we have twins, this is probably a bit more difficult. They both have top and bottom teeth in front, but no molars. One is good about feeding himself (acutally wants to do it himself) and will eat cut up grilled cheese cut up PB&J, all sorts of fruit, broccoli (big surprise there!), but still needs relatively soft food. The other twin can't feed himself for anything! It mostly ends up in his lap, so we're still spoon feeding him stage 2 and 3 baby food. Then there's the matter of feeding ourselves. I try to think of something we can eat that they (mostly the self feeder) can eat, but if I eat one more PB&J or grilled cheese, I'm gonna puke! And on top of that, we don't eat pork or beef due to allergies. They have their 1 year checkup in about a week, so we'll discuss this with the doctor, but was wondering if anyone had good suggestions for feeding kids at this age. I know it'll all change soon!
According to our pediatrician and my daughter's allergist, kids shouldn't have peanut butter until (at the earliest) age 2. Exposure at this age can lead to allergies! Since you mentioned other allergies in the family I would NOT want to potentially be setting my kids up for peanut allergies too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2009, 08:08 PM
 
3,842 posts, read 9,266,791 times
Reputation: 3181
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Sounds like we're doing pretty much what everyone else does - a lot of trial and error. And I've noticed they tend to never eat well for 3 meals in a day - there's always one meal where one of them isn't too interested.
I had to laugh...tonight, my 16 month old wanted nothing to do with dinner...it was leftover night of chicken salad veronique (again, any creams just don't fly that much in house) & pasta salad. He ate leftover mac & cheese. My 3yr old wanted vanilla wafers instead of dinner. Ahh...the joy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2009, 08:09 PM
 
Location: The Big D
14,874 posts, read 36,376,773 times
Reputation: 5787
Good suggestions w/ the eggs and pasta. What about a baked potato? You can dress yours up more "adult" and theirs can have more standard fare like butter, sour cream, cheese, etc.

When my kids were 1 they were eating normal table food. The oldest had a full set of teeth and was eating steak and ribs before she was 1. She wanted OUR FOOD. It was nice that they both preferred the more adult foods as it made it easier to cook for us and ordering out the adult menus are ALWAYS healthier than the kids menu (icky chicken stuff and all). I got to the point where I'd order a grilled chicken breast w/ a salad and baked potato from the adult menu and they would split it. Ends up being cheaper and better for them. What about salad??? You could make up all kinds of great summer salads w/ different fruits and nuts and cheeses. A nice dark green salad using some fresh spinach, fresh sliced strawberries, walnuts (small pieces), blue cheese or gorgonzolla, rasberry vinagriette dressing. Might put the dressing on VERY LIGHT for theirs since they may be finger feeding themselves.

As for the utensils. We taught ours at 1 to use them on the proper foods. This way they got used to doing it. It is great for their motor skills and building good table manners. Buy some of the ones that are small and curved that are easier for them to get from plate/bowl to mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 08:37 AM
 
4,267 posts, read 5,164,172 times
Reputation: 3579
Beans rice and avacado were favorites at that age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 08:40 AM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 22,598,671 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
According to our pediatrician and my daughter's allergist, kids shouldn't have peanut butter until (at the earliest) age 2. Exposure at this age can lead to allergies! Since you mentioned other allergies in the family I would NOT want to potentially be setting my kids up for peanut allergies too!

Thanks for the tip. I'll hold off on PB until we have their checkup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 22,598,671 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Good suggestions w/ the eggs and pasta. What about a baked potato? You can dress yours up more "adult" and theirs can have more standard fare like butter, sour cream, cheese, etc.

When my kids were 1 they were eating normal table food. The oldest had a full set of teeth and was eating steak and ribs before she was 1. She wanted OUR FOOD. It was nice that they both preferred the more adult foods as it made it easier to cook for us and ordering out the adult menus are ALWAYS healthier than the kids menu (icky chicken stuff and all). I got to the point where I'd order a grilled chicken breast w/ a salad and baked potato from the adult menu and they would split it. Ends up being cheaper and better for them. What about salad??? You could make up all kinds of great summer salads w/ different fruits and nuts and cheeses. A nice dark green salad using some fresh spinach, fresh sliced strawberries, walnuts (small pieces), blue cheese or gorgonzolla, rasberry vinagriette dressing. Might put the dressing on VERY LIGHT for theirs since they may be finger feeding themselves.

As for the utensils. We taught ours at 1 to use them on the proper foods. This way they got used to doing it. It is great for their motor skills and building good table manners. Buy some of the ones that are small and curved that are easier for them to get from plate/bowl to mouth.
Baked potato sounds great. I love them and it would be easy for them to eat. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 08:47 AM
 
Location: chicagoland
1,636 posts, read 3,667,831 times
Reputation: 1061
So I just found something my 13 month old LOVES LOVES LOVES!!!


VEGGIE PATTIE COOKED IN TOASTER OVEN (MORNING STAR OR OTHER BRAND) ON FLAX BREAD WITH AVACADO AND MAYO SPREAD!!!!

The other day I pureed some carrots and used that as a spread. You could probably do it with anything.

I cut it up in 4 squares and she's been begging for "beggie" everyday all day since i gave it too her on Tuesday!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 22,598,671 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
So I just found something my 13 month old LOVES LOVES LOVES!!!


VEGGIE PATTIE COOKED IN TOASTER OVEN (MORNING STAR OR OTHER BRAND) ON FLAX BREAD WITH AVACADO AND MAYO SPREAD!!!!

The other day I pureed some carrots and used that as a spread. You could probably do it with anything.

I cut it up in 4 squares and she's been begging for "beggie" everyday all day since i gave it too her on Tuesday!!!!
That sounds pretty good - we do veggie burgers once in a while, so something else to try. I'm going to see where we get with spoons this evening - I can already guess that the "self feeder" might get somewhere with a spoon. The other boy... I see a spoon flying across the kitchen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 09:19 AM
 
Location: chicagoland
1,636 posts, read 3,667,831 times
Reputation: 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
That sounds pretty good - we do veggie burgers once in a while, so something else to try. I'm going to see where we get with spoons this evening - I can already guess that the "self feeder" might get somewhere with a spoon. The other boy... I see a spoon flying across the kitchen!

Some easy things to try on a spoon:

Oatmeal. Just put some on the spoon and leave the spoon to them or put it in their hand and guide them the first couple of times.

Yogurt with wheat Germ

mashed potatos regular or sweet

Gerber makes a great spoon/fork set that fits their mouths and the fork isnt' sharp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top