U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-29-2009, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 21,833,304 times
Reputation: 10428

Advertisements

Since we have twins, this is probably a bit more difficult. They both have top and bottom teeth in front, but no molars. One is good about feeding himself (acutally wants to do it himself) and will eat cut up grilled cheese cut up PB&J, all sorts of fruit, broccoli (big surprise there!), but still needs relatively soft food. The other twin can't feed himself for anything! It mostly ends up in his lap, so we're still spoon feeding him stage 2 and 3 baby food. Then there's the matter of feeding ourselves. I try to think of something we can eat that they (mostly the self feeder) can eat, but if I eat one more PB&J or grilled cheese, I'm gonna puke! And on top of that, we don't eat pork or beef due to allergies. They have their 1 year checkup in about a week, so we'll discuss this with the doctor, but was wondering if anyone had good suggestions for feeding kids at this age. I know it'll all change soon!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-29-2009, 02:03 PM
 
1,986 posts, read 3,387,812 times
Reputation: 1287
Anything that can be picked up and put in his mouth he'll probably eat. Just NEVER hot dogs. How about tuna sandwich with the tuna broken well and a tiny bit of mayo? Any cooked vegetable cut up, fish if it's tender and flaked small, possibilities are endless at that age.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2009, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 21,833,304 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Anything that can be picked up and put in his mouth he'll probably eat. Just NEVER hot dogs. How about tuna sandwich with the tuna broken well and a tiny bit of mayo? Any cooked vegetable cut up, fish if it's tender and flaked small, possibilities are endless at that age.
Yeah, we do cut up vegetables - and I'll get the no salt/organic canned veggies, which is easy. I'll never allow Spaghettios as a finger food again - learned that lesson LOL! And no hot dogs or processed meat - blech! If I wouldn't eat it, I won't feed it to them. I haven't tried fish yet. When do they start using utensils? I think I spend as much time cleaning up their dinner as it takes to get some down the hatch!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2009, 02:18 PM
 
101 posts, read 471,998 times
Reputation: 87
Well I cant help you...when my kids were 12 months they were eating jarred and table food but we eat everything for breakfast he/she would have eggs, pork sausage and they would chew on a piece of toast , or oatmeal , or rice cereal mixed with a babyfood fruit Lunch would be whatever I was eating ...mcdonalds nuggest , cheeseburger & a fruit like applesauce and a bottle of milk or juice or both..
Dinner would be spaghetti,hamburger helper chicken rice brocolli or if i was lazy I'd nuke them a gerber meal or just hand them a slice of pizza which they'd destroy
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2009, 02:20 PM
 
Location: chicagoland
1,636 posts, read 3,573,680 times
Reputation: 1056
This is the BEST website I've EVER found!!!

I also make penne pasta with EVOO and spinach and parm cheese. My 13 month old loooooves it!!!!

Pears cut in strips. Yogurt. I could go on but this site works wonders


Introducing Solids to Your 10 month to 12 month old Baby, Solid Food Charts for babies 10 to 12 months old including Meats, Fish, Dairy and more!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2009, 02:24 PM
 
1,986 posts, read 3,387,812 times
Reputation: 1287
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
.. When do they start using utensils? I think I spend as much time cleaning up their dinner as it takes to get some down the hatch!
If you give them a spoon they will start trying to use it. Those things take a while. It's actually funny when they will pick up their food with their fingers and put it on the spoon and try to get it into their mouth.

Neatness isn't a baby's priority. They don't care that you have to clean up twice as much as they ate. Things will get better, it takes time. One day you'll look at their handsome faces and wonder where the time went, and actually miss this period in their lives.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2009, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 21,833,304 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
This is the BEST website I've EVER found!!!

I also make penne pasta with EVOO and spinach and parm cheese. My 13 month old loooooves it!!!!

Pears cut in strips. Yogurt. I could go on but this site works wonders


Introducing Solids to Your 10 month to 12 month old Baby, Solid Food Charts for babies 10 to 12 months old including Meats, Fish, Dairy and more!
Thanks! This site is great. Breakfast is pretty easy - they love yogurt, toast and whole grain Eggos. We've tried eggs too, and they like them. I've heard quesadillas are popular, but I have to wonder if cheese is good every day - although they need the dairy and aren't fat.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2009, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Aurora, Colorado
2,212 posts, read 4,397,685 times
Reputation: 2363
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Since we have twins, this is probably a bit more difficult. They both have top and bottom teeth in front, but no molars. One is good about feeding himself (acutally wants to do it himself) and will eat cut up grilled cheese cut up PB&J, all sorts of fruit, broccoli (big surprise there!), but still needs relatively soft food. The other twin can't feed himself for anything! It mostly ends up in his lap, so we're still spoon feeding him stage 2 and 3 baby food. Then there's the matter of feeding ourselves. I try to think of something we can eat that they (mostly the self feeder) can eat, but if I eat one more PB&J or grilled cheese, I'm gonna puke! And on top of that, we don't eat pork or beef due to allergies. They have their 1 year checkup in about a week, so we'll discuss this with the doctor, but was wondering if anyone had good suggestions for feeding kids at this age. I know it'll all change soon!
We are having a hard time with this one and our baby is 14 months! She does not want to eat anything solid (except those Gerber puffs and the occasional graham cracker). Every single thing we've given her (and the list is a long one), she puts in her mouth and we get excited that maybe she'll eat it, then a few seconds (or even a minute) later, she spits it out and hands it to the dog. Every once in a while, she'll take a bite of something we're eating and like it, so I'll try and give her more...but she won't eat it the next time. She eats the Gerber 2 and 3 stage foods (none of that lasagna-in-a-jar stuff), but only the fruits and vegetables. We still give her oatmeal and when she'll eat it, part of a sandwich or chicken or pasta. This has been a challenge for us because I don't want her to miss out on the nutrition so I keep giving her Gerber foods. It's frustrating because she will eat the 3 stage peaches, but won't eat chunks of peaches. Same for everything (carrots, peas, bananas, etc).

My oldest had none of those issues, but she was in daycare full time (whereas now I am a SAHM) so perhaps the oldest just took her cues from the kids around her. At the 12 month checkup, the doctor said we just had to keep trying...but that worst case scenario, keep with the Gerber foods because that way, we know she is getting the vitamins she needs.

Incidentally, she took to milk and yogurt right away. But I can't get her to eat eggs, waffles, bread, or anything resembling regular food.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2009, 02:46 PM
 
3,842 posts, read 9,067,169 times
Reputation: 3176
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Since we have twins, this is probably a bit more difficult. They both have top and bottom teeth in front, but no molars. One is good about feeding himself (acutally wants to do it himself) and will eat cut up grilled cheese cut up PB&J, all sorts of fruit, broccoli (big surprise there!), but still needs relatively soft food. The other twin can't feed himself for anything! It mostly ends up in his lap, so we're still spoon feeding him stage 2 and 3 baby food. Then there's the matter of feeding ourselves. I try to think of something we can eat that they (mostly the self feeder) can eat, but if I eat one more PB&J or grilled cheese, I'm gonna puke! And on top of that, we don't eat pork or beef due to allergies. They have their 1 year checkup in about a week, so we'll discuss this with the doctor, but was wondering if anyone had good suggestions for feeding kids at this age. I know it'll all change soon!
For both of mine, they were eating what we were eating b/w 10-12 months. I may be lucky, but I just make one meal. We are not on spices, beans or heavy creams but do a lot of fresh veggies (minus corn), fruit, salad & chicken.

Homemade pancakes; waffles; french toast...can put in blueberries or add some cinnamon
Vanilla yougurt...add granola or fruits
All sorts of cereals
Bananas; crushed pineapple; apples; pears; mandarin oranges; peaches
Pastas & rices
Mac & cheese...you can throw in some chicken
Quesidallas
Green beans, peas, brocolli, tomatoes, cooked carrots

I've always done & still do trial & error...since I don't use a lot of spices or creams, I just give them portions that are appropriate for them & see how it goes. Majority of the time it goes great but there have been & I still expect mild issues such as lack of appetite; moodiness; colds & so on.

Neither child cares for stir frys (the sauce is too much for them so I make stir fry & take out their portion prior to putting in the sauce).

After getting the all clear from the doc (which I made sure to do), I just continued on cooking the way I did prior to kids.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2009, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 21,833,304 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
We are having a hard time with this one and our baby is 14 months! She does not want to eat anything solid (except those Gerber puffs and the occasional graham cracker). Every single thing we've given her (and the list is a long one), she puts in her mouth and we get excited that maybe she'll eat it, then a few seconds (or even a minute) later, she spits it out and hands it to the dog. Every once in a while, she'll take a bite of something we're eating and like it, so I'll try and give her more...but she won't eat it the next time. She eats the Gerber 2 and 3 stage foods (none of that lasagna-in-a-jar stuff), but only the fruits and vegetables. We still give her oatmeal and when she'll eat it, part of a sandwich or chicken or pasta. This has been a challenge for us because I don't want her to miss out on the nutrition so I keep giving her Gerber foods. It's frustrating because she will eat the 3 stage peaches, but won't eat chunks of peaches. Same for everything (carrots, peas, bananas, etc).

My oldest had none of those issues, but she was in daycare full time (whereas now I am a SAHM) so perhaps the oldest just took her cues from the kids around her. At the 12 month checkup, the doctor said we just had to keep trying...but that worst case scenario, keep with the Gerber foods because that way, we know she is getting the vitamins she needs.

Incidentally, she took to milk and yogurt right away. But I can't get her to eat eggs, waffles, bread, or anything resembling regular food.
Sounds familiar with the non-self-feeding twin! My thought was to keep on the Gerber too to make sure he's getting the nutrition he needs. He'll eat some things here and there, but I always have to give him some baby food too. The other guy was chomping down on onions, lettuce, and tomatoes the other night at the Olive Garden (loved the salad and breadsticks!) Go figure...
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top