U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 04:39 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,661,833 times

Advertisements

On the lots of kids washing their hands before eating thing,
Surely the kids should already be doing this as a part of general hygene.
Don't you wash hands before eating?

If the concern is not enough wash basins then is that not un like not enough lifeboats on the Titanic.

And the solution .....
wait for it....
Put in more wash basins.
Too easy.
Quick tell the government.

Mind you this is the same problem that exists when you run a kids camp or scout camp or such.

I would think that either a number of buckets of disinfectant but you would have to make sure it killed the flu or those squirt things of cleaner, we keep one in the car. Alcohol based gel I think.

As for keeping the kids home from school. I would think that you need to have someone bring the flu into the school first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 04:45 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,131,491 times
I was wondering in Texas they this is the state that closed the Ft. Worth schools are the daycares as well closed. Having worked in both schools and daycares I can say that children daycare age would be just as likley if not more to pass this flu. Children this age play that is their day and although I 'm sure the toys are washed it still would be a issue if the schools in that area are closed. I was watching one of the news channels and they bought us that point. Parents i 'm sure in that area are not all supportive of the close but they brought up the point is it doimg any good if daycares are still open and children are running around all over as if it was spring break. They said this wasn't a vacation to do that.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:01 PM

3,084 posts, read 6,480,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
I was wondering in Texas they this is the state that closed the Ft. Worth schools are the daycares as well closed. Having worked in both schools and daycares I can say that children daycare age would be just as likley if not more to pass this flu. Children this age play that is their day and although I 'm sure the toys are washed it still would be a issue if the schools in that area are closed. I was watching one of the news channels and they bought us that point. Parents i 'm sure in that area are not all supportive of the close but they brought up the point is it doimg any good if daycares are still open and children are running around all over as if it was spring break. They said this wasn't a vacation to do that.
If I understand your post correctly, you are asking if child care centers are being required to close?

As of this moment, the health department has not made that requirement. However, they have suggested that they close along with suggesting that parents keep their children home and not let them congregate together.

Being that child care is my profession, I can tell you that in Texas child care centers are already required to sanitize on a schedule that schools are not required to do. All floors, bathrooms, toys that children put in their mouths, sleeping mats, crib sheets and more are sanitized daily. All toys are sanitized on a weekly or monthly basis in those who are less apt to put them in their mouths.

Schools don't sanitize often at all. Closing allows them the time to do this and to do it thoroughly.

Last edited by hypocore; 04-30-2009 at 06:26 PM..

Old 04-30-2009, 06:16 PM

2,466 posts, read 4,209,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
On the lots of kids washing their hands before eating thing,
Surely the kids should already be doing this as a part of general hygene.
Don't you wash hands before eating?

If the concern is not enough wash basins then is that not un like not enough lifeboats on the Titanic.

And the solution .....
wait for it....
Put in more wash basins.
Too easy.
Quick tell the government.

Mind you this is the same problem that exists when you run a kids camp or scout camp or such.

I would think that either a number of buckets of disinfectant but you would have to make sure it killed the flu or those squirt things of cleaner, we keep one in the car. Alcohol based gel I think.

As for keeping the kids home from school. I would think that you need to have someone bring the flu into the school first.
I know in my home we make it routine to wash hands before we eat. And now that my kids are older it is a habit they are getting into themselves without constant reminding. But it takes time and consistancy to get kids into a habit. If parents who are trying to get their kids into the habit of washing their hands before they eat are not getting much support from schools or daycares, then it becomes a longer, harder task of getting kids to develop this habit.

Not all parents teach their kids the importance of washing hands and so for those kids it is important that they are taught in schools. Schools really need to take time and stay consistant with teaching the kids when and how they should wash their hands.

Washing hands is probably one of the best habits a human could develop, besides using a toilet and wiping when they are done, and it is something that should be supported by schools. If actaul hand washing is an issue because of lack of sinks, then they should still use hand sanitizers.

Constant routines are what help create habits.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:27 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,256,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post

Schools don't sanitize often at all. Closing allows them the time to do this and to do it thoroughly.
Up through high school, I remember exactly when we would sanitize: the last week of school we would wipe down the desks, chairs, bookshelves, etc. The LAST WEEK OF SCHOOL

When I taught, it was still the same thing: last week of school activity.

With funding as nonprevalent as it is, what gets cut first: housekeeping.

Fabulous system. It takes a PANDEMIC for schools to receive emergency funding to pay for a cleaning business to clean the school.

Homeschooling sounds more appealing every day.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:44 PM

25,907 posts, read 35,071,469 times
Judging from the women I see in the restroom at work, I think the CDC needs to coach people on how to wash their hands. Rinsing your hands for five seconds under running water is not washing them.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:20 PM

2,466 posts, read 4,209,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Judging from the women I see in the restroom at work, I think the CDC needs to coach people on how to wash their hands. Rinsing your hands for five seconds under running water is not washing them.
CDC has been trying to coach people on the importance of washing their hands along with other private and public organizations. But a lot of places like schools are not taking this serious and applying the techiniques and teachings.

CDC Topic Title - Page Descriptor (http://www.cdc.gov/cleanhands/ - broken link)

Old 04-30-2009, 07:56 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,662,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post

Tell me about it! They are pigs! No pun intented towards the swine flu

Old 04-30-2009, 08:00 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,422,646 times
Everything I have read says the Texas Education Agency is not requiring schools to make up the lost days. They will apply for waivers so they don't have to.

It will be interesting to see what happens if the schools are closed for a longer period of time and how they deal with making up the TAKS test that was scheduled for this week. That's our yearly high stakes testing.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:51 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,131,491 times
We live very close to Virginia so all our local news comes from there even though we are in North Carolina. I was listening to the news awhile ago as Virginia has two cases of the flu now, They said they have two more probable cases from two college students. They said that the school won't close. I get that college unlike k-12 are not the same but I wonder what they do to tp protect the sudents. They said that they didn't travel to Mexico. I would think schools are schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting