U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 12:35 AM

5,945 posts, read 12,736,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
As parents I 'm more interested in education about this Flu instead of panic. But with that said if this does keep spreading as they say it will how many parents think that schools should just close for the year. I just heard the Ft. Worth schools in Texas are closing until May 11. That is like 80,000 kids. Kids are so great at spreading germs, they cough on each other, they touch everything. What do other parents think.
According to the CDC website, over 10,000 people are hospitalized and 100 - 150 people die from the chicken pox every year. Should we close an entire school if one child gets the chicken pox? 15 - 20% of those who have been given the chicken pox vaccine still get the chicken pox. Also, deaths due to the chicken pox happen in healthy people.

According to the Merck Manual, an estimated 45,000 people die from pneumonia every year. How many have died in the U.S. from the swine flu so far? 1? Do we shut down everything for pneumonia?

There are all kinds of things a person can catch out there. Things we can catch and die from or that can make us very ill. Things that are constantly spreading around. An estimated 36,000 people die each year from the regular flu, yet we don't shut schools down then when there is an outbreak. I really don't understand why the media is making such a big deal out of this H1N1 (swine flu). Especially since the cases which have been confirmed have supposedly been mild.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 08:54 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,129,645 times
I agree that there is undue panic and some hype. But schools are closing and if k-12 close if they have a case then it seems like college and daycares ect should to. Otherwise why close those schools.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:11 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,658,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
I agree that there is undue panic and some hype. But schools are closing and if k-12 close if they have a case then it seems like college and daycares ect should to. Otherwise why close those schools.

Yes. Please do. I'm due for a much needed EARLY summer break! I'm never taking full time courses with an infant and a night job. . I must have been crazy. Props to anyone who can handle it, I sure can't.

And as for the flu. Ok, so my understanding is that sometimes the seasonal flu vaccine protects against the flu present in the enviornment and sometimes it doesn't against new strains. That is EVERY year. So now there is yet ANOTHER new strain that ISN'T killing more people than the seasonal flu and everyone is freaking out?

I'm really pissed that my hippy father who NEVER worries about a goshdarn thing has spent what little money he has in expensive masks, water, food, batteries and TAMIFLU off of the internet!!!!!! By god, they got the hippies worried

Old 05-03-2009, 02:21 AM

They just closed a college near us because there was ONE person who MIGHT have it. They are waiting on the results. What the heck is going on?

I'm more getting freaked out by the response to this issue than the issue itself.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:46 PM

i do agree but I guess it is better safe than sorry. I heard this morning that like 160 some people in the US have been confirmed. Well considering how many people are living in the US that really isn't that many. It just doesan't seem like it is passing to one person to another that quickly. I was interested when I heard this morning that in Canada some pigs tested positive for the Flu and the owners had visited Mexico. I just wonder how they can be so sure that pork products aren't a concern.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:13 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,249,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
They just closed a college near us because there was ONE person who MIGHT have it. They are waiting on the results. What the heck is going on?

I'm more getting freaked out by the response to this issue than the issue itself.
Schools are fearful of lawsuits

It's very easy to sue if you can show that the school had DIRECT CAUSE. And even easier if that school had the CHOICE to close or stay open knowing that there was an INFECTIOUS DISEASE that was CONTIAGIOUS & they stayed open...and in the interim, many got sick. It takes one 20yr old in the hospital WITHOUT insurance or worse, one to die, to kick start a bunch of lawsuits that in turn create a horrible snowball effect for the coming years.

Still, this has set a terrible precedence. Parents are going to get pissed if next year their child who gets seasonal influezana has to make up spelling words they missed b/c "LAST YEAR" the school closed & "LAST YEAR" the school was concerned & "LAST YEAR" students who got the flu got a break....

I agree with you! It's getting beyond stupid. I was just stating why you are seeing some true extremity.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:32 AM

As far as pork products not being a concern... my guess is that they figure most of us cook our pork products before eating them, and cooking it thoroughly would kill the virus? Or perhaps it's a virus that only spreads from living pigs... from their nose, mouth, skin, or something like that. Not from the meat itself? I'm just guessing.

Over the weekend, in Oregon, the "probable" cases jumped to 22. Only 6 have been confirmed. The media is telling us that it's just beginning here. A few more schools have closed.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:23 AM

We get local news from Virgina that just confirmed a preschooler has it. He was sick 6 days ago and they are now closing the preschool. It took that long to get the confirmation that he had this Flu. It seems silly now to close the school. If they are going to test people they need to get the results back sooner or I guess that is why schools are acting like anyone who has flu like symtoms might have it when they aren't sure.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:49 PM

2,542 posts, read 5,827,457 times
I wouldn't be surprised if our school already had it go through. Our school is a couple miles from the border in a high illegal crossing area. A bunch of kids got sick around Good Friday, which is about the same time the outbreak in Mexico City happened. The sickness we had sounds a lot like that of swine flu. But we didn't close school and things were pretty much back to normal starting sometime the next week.

So, does it suck? Yes. Do we need to close schools? Only under the usual same guidelines of other viruses that go through the school system (most schools have a certain percentage of sick children/staff where they will begin to think to call of school).

Old 05-04-2009, 07:43 PM

I know my sister in law has two kids in Pre K and K. The Pre K child is sick and throwing up. His class has 17 kids and 6 came to school today The other child isn't sick but there are 10 kids missing from her class. When she asked she said the stomach Flu is going around. Well it seems like the same situation that these other schools are going though yet they are closed. I just think all schools at least in each state need to do the same thing no matter if it is the Swine Fly, regular Flu, Lice or anything else that takes a lot of kids out of school. Because this Fall if this does come back and these same schools don't close just like they did now or if some close then but didn't now Parents will be mad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting