U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-01-2009, 07:53 AM
 
1,986 posts, read 3,468,971 times
Reputation: 1289

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
Why is everyone bringing up this comaring thing? No one is comparing. Rather contrasting and there is nothing wrong with that. How do you know you love if you do not know hate. How do you know dark if you do not know light. How do you know run if you do not know walk.

Only one person thought their child was behind another and that was resolved. This is not meant to be an argument. I just wanted to know where other children were. Curious.
Well when someone starts a thread out by saying their kid is better than the average kid, I'd say it started out as comparing, wouldn't you? What did you expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-01-2009, 08:01 AM
 
Location: chicagoland
1,636 posts, read 3,657,673 times
Reputation: 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Well when someone starts a thread out by saying their kid is better than the average kid, I'd say it started out as comparing, wouldn't you? What did you expect?

You are funny

I said that MANY kids probably know less and MANY kids probably know more than mine.

Me stating a fact that my daughter knows more words than what the DOCTOR says is average is not saying my kid is better. It is a FACT that my child knows more words than what the md said. If I said "my kid is smarter than your child and better Hahahaha" then your comment would be valid.

YOU also said that your children knew more words than the average and that if you read to them and talk they WILL know more. YOU were ASSuming that YOU did that with your children and those children on this thread that are NOT talking as much had parents did not.

Get it straight Stormy. Don't try to mix my words up and start crap again. And keep your filthy direct messages to yourself. I've asked you to leave me alone buy you won't stop.



just a reminder stormy YOU said it was all in the effort of the parent. You have a habit of calling the kettle More people are starting to see it. Ease off


Yesterday, 08:58 AM
[SIZE=5]stormy night[/SIZE]
Senior Member

Join Date: Oct 2008
1,504 posts, read 252,437 times
Reputation: 712



All three of mine recited Robert Louis Stevenson by a year old and carried on conversations. Seriously. If you talk to babies all the time, the learn very early to talk as well. It's all in the effort the parent makes.

[+] Rate this post positively
[RIGHT] [/RIGHT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2009, 08:12 AM
 
1,986 posts, read 3,468,971 times
Reputation: 1289
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
You are funny

I said that MANY kids probably know less and MANY kids probably know more than mine.

Me stating a fact that my daughter knows more words than what the DOCTOR says is average is not saying my kid is better. It is a FACT that my child knows more words than what the md said. If I said "my kid is smarter than your child and better Hahahaha" then your comment would be valid.

YOU also said that your children knew more words than the average and that if you read to them and talk they WILL know more. YOU were ASSuming that YOU did that with your children and those children on this thread that are NOT talking as much had parents did not.

Get it straight Stormy. Don't try to mix my words up and start crap again. And keep your filthy direct messages to yourself. I've asked you to leave me alone buy you won't stop.



just a reminder stormy YOU said it was all in the effort of the parent. You have a habit of calling the kettle More people are starting to see it. Ease off


Yesterday, 08:58 AM
[SIZE=5]stormy night[/SIZE]
Senior Member

Join Date: Oct 2008
1,504 posts, read 252,437 times
Reputation: 712



All three of mine recited Robert Louis Stevenson by a year old and carried on conversations. Seriously. If you talk to babies all the time, the learn very early to talk as well. It's all in the effort the parent makes.

[+] Rate this post positively
[RIGHT] [/RIGHT]
Stop whining. You started this, I didn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2009, 08:15 AM
 
Location: chicagoland
1,636 posts, read 3,657,673 times
Reputation: 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Stop whining. You started this, I didn't.

Well I'm finishing it


BLESS YOU AND FIND PEACE PLEASE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2009, 08:17 AM
 
1,986 posts, read 3,468,971 times
Reputation: 1289
*yawn*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2009, 08:54 AM
 
3,842 posts, read 9,247,279 times
Reputation: 3177
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Not all twins are premies.
No, they are not. The poster I was referring to specifically stated that his twins were born a month early. This does, to some extent, sometimes play a role in overall early development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2009, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Hillsborough
2,825 posts, read 5,958,743 times
Reputation: 2620
At 12 months, my daughter had about 10 words. By 18 months she had about 60, and by 21 months she hit 200 and that's when we stopped counting. By the way, our ped said to count spoken words as well as animal sounds ("moo") and signs (we also taught her ASL). For the record, I do not think my daughter is particularly advanced in vocabulary. Now, math and analytical skills, that's where she really excels!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2009, 09:56 AM
 
Location: chicagoland
1,636 posts, read 3,657,673 times
Reputation: 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
At 12 months, my daughter had about 10 words. By 18 months she had about 60, and by 21 months she hit 200 and that's when we stopped counting. By the way, our ped said to count spoken words as well as animal sounds ("moo") and signs (we also taught her ASL). For the record, I do not think my daughter is particularly advanced in vocabulary. Now, math and analytical skills, that's where she really excels!

I didn't know to count animal sounds! That changes everything

How is the baby???????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2009, 10:45 AM
 
3,084 posts, read 6,471,128 times
Reputation: 4430
This is one of those things that is more a marker for potential problems than it is an average. There are far too many outside things that affect speaking than age.

A child who has parents, older siblings or caregivers that talk to them normally and consistently allow them to communicate will likely talk earlier and with a deeper vocabulary than those who don't have that.

Therefore, a child who has a parent, older siblings or caregivers that don't talk to the child and don't allow for conversations, will likely be a much later talker with a smaller vocabulary. That usually changes once the child discovers that they can talk for themselves or that they have to. (older siblings are often the ones stifling the talking as they want to do it for the younger ones)

A child who is tongue tied, has ear infections/hearing loss, or lack of muscle control will have more problems talking and may take much longer having success.

Many times it depends on how many children there are in the house and what ages there are as well. Also, those who talk earlier and with more words tend to be those who are more social, healthier, more mobile, sleep less and make physical milestones early or on time as well. At least in my 20 years of early childhood education, that's what I've learned and witnessed.

Don't forget that speaking is just one part of the overall process of learning and growing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2009, 11:50 AM
 
3,842 posts, read 9,247,279 times
Reputation: 3177
I've yet to ever sit & "count" the words my children say....that seems a little much...I pay attention, but don't count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top