U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 12:57 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,664,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
I've yet to ever sit & "count" the words my children say....that seems a little much...I pay attention, but don't count.

That may be! But most that I know including the doctor have. The doctor asked me at the 9 month appt to write them down for the 12-18 month appointment.

My daughter's baby book has a spot for it too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 01:43 PM

1,634 posts, read 5,913,390 times
Not 20. Probably 3 or 4 clearly.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:48 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,475,329 times
Quote:
I've yet to ever sit & "count" the words my children say....that seems a little much...I pay attention, but don't count.
I'll give you rep points for this as soon as possible. I never counted either. It was something I never thought important. My kids developed well and when they should have, that's all that matters.

Who sits and counts words all day?

Old 05-01-2009, 02:04 PM

Count words all day?????????? Hahhahahah. .

I think it took me about 5 minutes on ONE day to list my daughter's words.

Would it take YOU ALL day to write 75 words?

I don't think so

Old 05-01-2009, 02:14 PM

3,107 posts, read 8,051,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
We have many babies/young kids in our neighborhood and we keep having people tell us, "You have to get them into swim lessons and Baby Power". We tried the Baby Power for a month and while it was fun, they weren't doing anything we don't do at hom (play, read stories, play with bubbles..) and as far as swim lessions, I'm skeptical. Can you acutally teach a one year old to swim? Sounds like a waste of money to me. And we'll be taking them to the pool this summer on our own w/some sort of life vests/floating devices. I didn't take swim lessons until first grade.
I asked a couple we are friends with who are dive instructors/marine scientists and have an almost 1 yr old. According to them, putting them in the water early gets them familiar with the water but they don't really "get it" until they're older. She said you can put kids this young in special classes where they & their parents/caregivers are guided in keeping children safe in the water - training them to float & turn over but not actually swim.

Miasmommy - I think the topic alone inevitably invites "comparison".

Old 05-01-2009, 02:14 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,260,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
That may be! But most that I know including the doctor have. The doctor asked me at the 9 month appt to write them down for the 12-18 month appointment.

My daughter's baby book has a spot for it too
Sorry...if your child is progressing in a normal, healthy manner, no sane doctor is going to ask for a list.

You are closely teetering on the "My child is outstanding. And yours?" attitude again....

Great. Write down all the words you want. And that does what? Will you leave happier if you get a sticker? And the book, does that give you validation? If you find these things necessary, you are truly missing the point of parenting.

There is so much more in the development of an infant & toddler than counting words & making sure you can check off all the "child milestone" boxes.

If you want a "My child is so much more advanced than yours" thread...start one...I'm sure there are posters out their who need that validation & you can compare lists!

Old 05-01-2009, 02:18 PM

3,107 posts, read 8,051,568 times
The last post made me wonder miasmommy - is your daughter a yr old or 18 months old?

Because there often can be quite a wide range between what an 18 month old is able to do compared to a 12 month old.

Anyway...just wondering because it's hard to compare "fairly" if there's that much of a difference in ages. (not that we should be comparing in the first place...)

Old 05-01-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
The last post made me wonder miasmommy - is your daughter a yr old or 18 months old?

Because there often can be quite a wide range between what an 18 month old is able to do compared to a 12 month old.

Anyway...just wondering because it's hard to compare "fairly" if there's that much of a difference in ages. (not that we should be comparing in the first place...)

My daughter is 13 months.

Just because a couple of you think I'm comparing or assuming my kid is better should take a step back. It is YOU who is ACTING insecure. I never once made it even come close to sounding that way. I said that I know that many kids know more words and many know less. And I said because she is MY child of course I'm going to think she is perfect. It's a mommy thing.

I've discussed this thread with my "mommy club" and they all agree that I did NOT come across that way.

I also mentioned that my child would not and/or would not get off of her back. She would wait until I got her up.

And yes. The doctor gave me a sheet on the "milestones" and I inquired about the words. He said to write them down and count. The reason he asked me to bring to the appt is probably due to the fact that he is soooo involved. He had me read it and then went over them with my baby girl. He uses things like that to get to know the patient.

I also mentioned that I think the 'average' is not a good way to interpret things because a child with and extremely large vocab or a child with a learning disability could greatly mess with the data.

I like to see what other kids are doing my daughter's age. If we had nothing to contrast it to how would any of us ever know that something was wrong or that our chid was gifted? I'm just a curious person.

The few that think I'm "acting better" again need to just chill out. It's not a fact and it is only a view very few of you hold. But I can assure you it isn't true.

Cheer up and stop taking things so personally. I'm sure your kids are great

Old 05-01-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Sorry...You are closely teetering on the "My child is outstanding. And yours?" attitude again....

MY child IS outstanding! And YOU don't think YOUR child is? I highly doubt that. We all think our children are outstanding in one way or more.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post

Miasmommy - I think the topic alone inevitably invites "comparison".

And again: What is wrong with comparing or contrasting? All it means is that someone is looking at the differences and similarities; THAT IS ALL!

It in no way defines the emotion or reason or personal conclusion one makes. And I am NOT making any judgemental conclusions on any of the answers I have heard here to day. I've never thought to myself "hey, my kid is worth so much more than these other kids" or "my kid is a genius and yours are not."

define:compare/contrast - Google Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting