U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 11:45 AM

4,264 posts, read 7,944,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Thank you for posting an educated response!

This is what I am most concerned about...the second wave that IS going to now occur sometime next fall/winter in the northern hemisphere. What happens then is much more concerning than what is happenening now. As with any flu strain, one year varies from the next, but this is a brand new strain with no human immunity. Mutation is quite likely & whether or not the antivirals work against the mutation will have to be seen.

One thing to keep in mind is this is not 1918 anymore...so using stats from 1918 & comparing them in today's terms is not an accurate picture. We have progressed incredible lengths in basic hygiene practices & medicine along with communication & traveling methods.

And refer to the poster who said that no one knows with 100% accuracy why people in MX are dying...no, not with 100% accuracy right now. The CDC along with WHO are not making any comments for the sheer fact they cannot b/c of the ramifications of what their comments do. They make official comments when they have exact facts, data, etc. But almost all have SUGGESTED that the immune system is overcompensating to fight the virus & pushing the lungs into overdrive; hence, the dying in fluids comment. This is from past data gathered from healthy people who die from regular influenza & the 1918 pandemic.

The WHO has also only verified a small number of deaths directly linked to H1N1 Influenza. One concern is the pure conditions of Mexico, where many parts are a 3rd world country.

We have no clue of when these people went for treatment or how they were cared for initially. We also have no clue about their overall health or underlying health conditions.

There is a lot to still be researched & discovered.

If anything, this just reinforces the practice of hygiene & contingency plans.

The flu happens every year & it kills those who are immunized & those who are not. Plain & simple. It kills & it makes many severely ill.

Being aware & being prepared is really the best thing to do. No need to live in panic or start the whole "this is a pharmacuetical conspiracy" debate or vaccination debate.

Absolutley NONE of us have ANY clue how our children or ourselves would respond to H1N1. So, instead of the bandwagon starting up of the same regurgitated responses, use some compassion & politeness. We are all in this one together. And if you cannot open your minds to others & their decision, you are part of the problem & not helping anyone.
Good post and good point. I have been to Mexico and seen the filth and squallor first hand, I know how poor a large percentage of the population is and how alot of them don't get regular medical care. Saying that there are parts that are 3rd world is very accurate. One of the headlines this morning on MSNBC was how for the first time in a long time they can actually see a blue sky in Mexico city because they have in essence shut it down. I have been to Monterrey and it is nasty there in the city, the air pollution is unbelieveable, but if you go outside the city into the country it is nice. I guess the point I am trying to make is that their lack of proper sanitation and up to date medical care could have alot to do with why there has been the deaths they are attributing to this flu and why it has been widespread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 03:17 PM

3,107 posts, read 8,043,471 times
It would take a lot of convincing by our pediatricians and other trusted sources for me to vaccinate the kids with a "hurry-up" vaccine created just for the swine flu.

Health care professionals I've spoken to (our own & relatives/friends) bring up a good point: that an estimated 36,000 people in the US die every year from flu-related illness. Yet have any of those people become news? No. Kind of sad when you think about it. A new flu strain with a new name hits our awareness & becomes fodder for the media and we got nuts - preparing for disaster - yet those people who die every year die because of "unnamed" flus go unrecognized.

Anyway...the numbers kind of put things in perspective for me. Think about when you were in school and how when one child got the flu, so did everyone else (or so it seemed). They didn't shut down schools and I'm sure in those years, people died from those flu strains but again, we never heard about them.

Obviously, as always, we need to do what we can to protect the health of our own family and make decisions wisely about hygiene and exposure but I think the hype in the media is creating a needless frenzy including the run on Tamiflu & other meds.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:20 PM

20,793 posts, read 52,484,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
It would take a lot of convincing by our pediatricians and other trusted sources for me to vaccinate the kids with a "hurry-up" vaccine created just for the swine flu.

Health care professionals I've spoken to (our own & relatives/friends) bring up a good point: that an estimated 36,000 people in the US die every year from flu-related illness. Yet have any of those people become news? No. Kind of sad when you think about it. A new flu strain with a new name hits our awareness & becomes fodder for the media and we got nuts - preparing for disaster - yet those people who die every year die because of "unnamed" flus go unrecognized.

Anyway...the numbers kind of put things in perspective for me. Think about when you were in school and how when one child got the flu, so did everyone else (or so it seemed). They didn't shut down schools and I'm sure in those years, people died from those flu strains but again, we never heard about them.

Obviously, as always, we need to do what we can to protect the health of our own family and make decisions wisely about hygiene and exposure but I think the hype in the media is creating a needless frenzy including the run on Tamiflu & other meds.
It would not be a "hurry up" vaccine any more then any other flu shot that is given. It would be manufactured in the same way as other flu vaccines and would contain the H1N1 strands. They would grow them in eggs just like they do now and it will be ready when it is ready, the same way they do with each new flu shot year after year after year.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:48 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,234,986 times
Default Swine Flu Seizures in Children Reported in U.S.

Though I would revive this thread since there has been more recent news on the Swine Flu vaccination:

Quote:
July 23 (Bloomberg) -- Swine flu caused seizures in two Texas children and hallucinations, difficulty standing and slowed speech in two others, say U.S. health officials who advised quick treatment with antiviral medicine in such cases.

Two patients, a 7-year-old and a 10-year-old, were described as having seizures, according to the report from the Atlanta-based Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Children aged 11 and 17 exhibited the other symptoms. The cases, which occurred from May 13 to May 26, were reported today in the CDC’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.
Swine Flu Seizures in Children Reported in U.S. (Update1) - Bloomberg.com

If the Government or your school sends you a letter saying they will vacinate your child at school, will you go along with it?

Old 07-30-2009, 07:58 AM

2,893 posts, read 5,173,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Though I would revive this thread since there has been more recent news on the Swine Flu vaccination:

Swine Flu Seizures in Children Reported in U.S. (Update1) - Bloomberg.com

If the Government or your school sends you a letter saying they will vacinate your child at school, will you go along with it?

Hells no.

Schools are not doctors and should not be doing medical practice.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:58 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,234,522 times
I don't really want to be the "tip of the spear" getting the vaccine, but I and DS both have asthma, and I will most likely have us get the vaccine. My other DS and DH, maybe not.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:36 AM

3,422 posts, read 9,453,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post

If the Government or your school sends you a letter saying they will vaccinate your child at school, will you go along with it?
Nope. I will talk to my pediatrician about it and make an informed decision based on my research, her research (she has been a dr for ever - is a grandma now - and keeps up on current information so I value her professional opinion) and the current health level of my children, and I will do it at her office under her care.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:23 PM

4,633 posts, read 10,528,700 times
Seeing as my children get the flu vaccine every year, yes, they will get the H1N1 vaccine when it becomes available.

There is no reason to think "this" vaccine will be any more dangerous than the traditional seasonal flu vaccine and it will be no more "rushed" than the seasonal variety.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:25 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,660,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Seeing as my children get the flu vaccine every year, yes, they will get the H1N1 vaccine when it becomes available.

There is no reason to think "this" vaccine will be any more dangerous than the traditional seasonal flu vaccine and it will be no more "rushed" than the seasonal variety.

I have heard that THIS vaccine will be in FOUR doses.

And the idea that the other ones aren't dangerous is just an opinion. Many studies have shown otherwise.

They also do NOT have studies to show the effects on babies and pregnant women. How many pregnant women do you think stood up and said "test me test me?"

Old 07-30-2009, 03:26 PM

24,479 posts, read 28,808,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
WHEN they come out with the new flu vaccine are you going to allow your children to get it? You?
yes. All of us. My husband works in a hospital. I work with children under 3 years, so I think we'll be among the first group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or