U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 02:27 PM

10,592 posts, read 21,428,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
WHEN they come out with the new flu vaccine are you going to allow your children to get it? You?
My daughter and I get the flu AND the pneumonia vaccine every year. I have asthma and general repiratory weakness. The flu doesn't just remain the flu for me. Its posible my daughter could develop the same kind of weakness I have suffered from my whole life.

Why not take the shot if there is a chance it will keep her from getting sick. She has also had the HPV shots as well. NOT because I WANT her to run out and have sex, we didn't even discuss it that it had to do with having sex, I explained that it would help protect her against certain types of cancer and left it at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 02:28 PM

16,636 posts, read 12,969,340 times
Quote:
Though I don't think I would get the vaccine, I definitely respect and agree with your answer.

We have yet to see what is going to happen. If the deaths are still low, I definitely wouldn't even consider it. In 1976 ONE person had died when they introduced the vaccine and many got sick or crippled and some even died.
flu vaccines prevent many many cases of flu every year. Why base a decision on something that happened in 35 years ago?

Old 07-30-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
I stopped quoting right there, because when the vaccine hits the market, it will not be safety tested. It will be an "emergency measure" to "protect the public." People are terrified, and they are counting on the general public lining up with their sleeves up regardless of the safety or efficacy of the vaccine. Just like in 1976.

Unless people are dropping like flies, and the vaccine is shown to actually PREVENT the illness and not cause equally deadly side effects, we will not be getting it.
it is being tested right now.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post
Unless the real statistics with the flu show a much higher death rate, we will not. The flu shots are only 86% effective. Out of the 30,000 people who “reported” to die of the flu in 2003, only about 1000 did not die from pneumonia. Out of the 1000, 95% were over the age of 65. There is a much higher rate of bad reactions from the flu shots as well as the now proven links between vaccines and things like autism within kids.
source? I don't think that is accurate.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:33 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,509,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
it is being tested right now.

It is being tested on rats. It is being tested on FEW test subjects who have volunteered, none of which are babies, children or pregnant women.

And NO flu shots are ''really tested'' exept for short term problems. Not many who choose not to vaccinate are worried about the short term. It's the long and cumulative effect that worries some so.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
flu vaccines prevent many many cases of flu every year. Why base a decision on something that happened in 35 years ago?

Then why does the same "35,000 people die from the flu each year" commercial keep running? Wouldn't the numbers have gone down by now?

It doesn't prevent the flu. The CDC says it prevents flu deaths. But the numbers just don't add up. The seniors keep dying. Not our children, not our husbands, not YOU, THE SENIORS!!!!

Old 07-30-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I hope this thing blows over and no more people die. Illness sucks
and the best way to prevent more deaths would be...???? oh ya, to get vaccinated!

Old 07-30-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Then why does the same "35,000 people die from the flu each year" commercial keep running? Wouldn't the numbers have gone down by now?

It doesn't prevent the flu. The CDC says it prevents flu deaths. But the numbers just don't add up. The seniors keep dying. Not our children, not our husbands, not YOU, THE SENIORS!!!!
not with H1N1. the seniors seem to be coming out of it ok. people in their 30's and 40's have not. A pregnant 40 year old just died of it this week in CO.

edit: http://health.usnews.com/blogs/on-wo...ne-trials.html

edit: from CDC web site: So far, with novel H1N1 flu, the largest number of novel H1N1 flu confirmed and probable cases have occurred in people between the ages of 5 and 24-years-old. At this time, there are few cases and no deaths reported in people older than 64 years old, which is unusual when compared with seasonal flu. However, pregnancy and other previously recognized high risk medical conditions from seasonal influenza appear to be associated with increased risk of complications from this novel H1N1.

edit from CDC: CDC recommends a yearly seasonal flu vaccine as the first and most important step in protecting against seasonal influenza.

It doesn't say the vaccination "prevent flu deaths". It implies that it prevents people from getting the flu.

Last edited by Kibbiekat; 07-30-2009 at 02:54 PM..

Old 07-30-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
and the best way to prevent more deaths would be...???? oh ya, to get vaccinated!
Refer to my last post. Vaccines have not changed the amount of people who die from PNEUMONIA! People don't die from the flu.

And pregnant women RARELY die. Children RARELY die. BABIES rarely die. HEALTHY adults RARELY die. Seniors die. Seniors are pumped with the flu vaccine every year. They still die.

The vaccines do not work. I'm not convinced. And the numbers of people not convinced is rising rapidly. The numbers are close. Soon there will be just as many of us as there are of you and eventually more of us.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:49 PM

1,894 posts, read 4,220,751 times
I never (except for that first time) vaccinate neither myself nor my children against the flu. I have gotten it twice in my life. First time it was bad, (and it was RIGHT after I got the flu shot) the second time it was like a bad cold.
All three of my kids have had the flu and all 3 recovered.
I don't believe taking the flu shot or pneumonia shot would make me any safer.
And I have worked with lots of children in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting