U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 07:56 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,466,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
this isn't me, just what I learned from a doctor that ADD is in fact ADHD without the hyperactivity, but people call it ADD, which isn't actually a correct term. Supposedly its still ADHD, but people who aren't hyper don't like including the H so they leave it out to make sure people know they aren't hyper, even tho they "technically" do have ADHD as well.

Again thats just what a professional told me.

To be honest, until then I was calling it ADD, too. I guess it doesn't matter from a layman's point of view.
Sorry, but BEFORE it was ADHD, it was ADD. They added the H years after they invented the ADD part of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
I really don't believe in ADHD. I believe in kids that don't get enough exercise and outdoor activity so that they can run out their wiggles. Of course educational toys and videos and games are fun, but they don't expend energy. Kids are supposed to be out being hyperactive so that by the time they get home, they're too tired to do anything but sit in one place and focus on something.

Try exercise and non-processed foods. You don't need a pill to make your child normal.
I agree. ADD and ADHD are grossly overrated. It's so easy to put kids on meds and sedate them that an awful lot of parents jump to it instead of spending the time to learn how to manage their kids energy and diet.

Besides that, schools have jumped on the medication bandwagon so THEY don't have to deal with normal kids who have an abundance of energy.

Flik_Becky, I saved your post to my mail. It's very informative and I believe kids are short-changed with a diagnosis of ADD or ADHD. Everybody always flocks to the meds instead of channeling the energy and finding a way without that god awful label put on their kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 08:01 AM

650 posts, read 1,926,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1976 View Post
I have a 8 yr old son who the DR wants to diagnose with ADHD. I do not believe he is but I thought someone out there could help me. My son is very hyper but can pay attention very well,he is always busy and goes 90 to nothing. Goes to bed at 8:30 and will wake up before everybode, even on the weekends when the stay up late he is still the first one up. Always has energy, never slows down all day, talks to him self, is always moving and can not sit still. I do believe he is overly active but I am not sure about ADHD. If you can help me PLEASE do so so I can figure out what to do. Thank you for your time
Michelle
Isn't ADD/ADHD only diagnosed by a neuropsychologist? I wouldn't take the advice of an ordinary pediatrician without a second opinion.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:10 PM

1,577 posts, read 3,266,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Sorry, but BEFORE it was ADHD, it was ADD. They added the H years after they invented the ADD part of it.

I agree. ADD and ADHD are grossly overrated. It's so easy to put kids on meds and sedate them that an awful lot of parents jump to it instead of spending the time to learn how to manage their kids energy and diet.

Besides that, schools have jumped on the medication bandwagon so THEY don't have to deal with normal kids who have an abundance of energy.
I said it wasn't me, but what I heard.

I never wanted my kids to have this disability. Its real regardless of what others think. Not gonna take the time to explain it or prove it. You can't judge someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes.

Have a great day

Old 05-03-2009, 12:43 PM

1,122 posts, read 1,967,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Flik_Becky, I saved your post to my mail. It's very informative and I believe kids are short-changed with a diagnosis of ADD or ADHD. Everybody always flocks to the meds instead of channeling the energy and finding a way without that god awful label put on their kids.
Thanks! Remembering back, my husband was with our daughter primarly until 2 1/2. We had many debates about was was causing her behavior...never bad but so *busy* and he would have the TV on all day. When I got home I would shut it off and then be stuck with this child all through pregancy and caring for an infant, very tiring and depressing. He said she sat so still when watching TV with her, most of the day and didn't have the same problems I did. Finally I lost it and begged him to just try my way for one month. It helped too after my second was born, I went part time so I had a lot more time to work with her. It was after that month he apologized and said I was right. (Not saying I'm always right but he sure says that a lot, lol.)

I just hope it can help other parents when they feel like they have to stand in front of their children in front of a firing squad of family, friends, teachers, pediatricians, ect who all "know better." It starts making you feel like a failure and its hard to gather the courage to stand up to so many people all at once. My husband now debates the same thing with me with our sons but by far they are better than our daughter ever was. Our first son is way better and I can actually walk to check the mail now without feeling like I have to lock the 3 year old in a room beforehand for his own safety. My three year old is "hearing" better now, although there are still moments...at lunchtime I had to stop him from making eggs and toast.

Our best and only defense right now is to limit our time around those who are judgemental and say things that wear on our childrens confidence and we don't ever have a sitter for them. (Literally, we haven't been out alone for three years, except dinner once last year but the time will come...someday.) Everyone hears how smart our 7 year old is and says we are SO lucky. Yeah right. If they only knew...

Old 05-03-2009, 12:55 PM

1,122 posts, read 1,967,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
I said it wasn't me, but what I heard.

I never wanted my kids to have this disability. Its real regardless of what others think. Not gonna take the time to explain it or prove it. You can't judge someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes.

Have a great day

Actually I have walked in your shoes...well they are still mine I suppose but I found an alternative way of handling it. Of ALL the diagnsised and treated ADHD and ADD children in our family (My family is huge and there are a dozen or so), our children have been "worse" than all of them. Imagine a family reunion with a single child jumping in the mud, not being able to sit long enough to fully chew a bite of food, run, run, run, not interact with anyone except herself and then have 50 people nodding when one says..."I told her she will need to put her on meds before school...." It's dishearting.

Everyone told me I was neglectful for not treating my daughter and that I was not qualified to "treat" or school a child like her and that eventually *someone* would call social services on me. I risked losing my child to follow what I knew in my heart...to the benefit of my child. Now I don't hear too much, except from one sister and my mother but after entire life of criticism I turn the other cheek.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:13 PM

12,256 posts, read 15,791,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhelms14 View Post
I work for a Pediatric's office and there are other types of testing to do before just putting your child on meds. Please ask for those first. (Vanderbilt and IEP testing at the school) See an eye doctor.If there is trouble in school - then give it a shot. My son is on it and he is 6 but he is doing much better in school. Good Luck!
My son is 3 and his daycare told me he's ADHD. They can't get him to sit down, they can't get him to watch the movies, or play with blocks or color - I'll admit I was more than a little pissed that they decided he was ADHD because they couldn't control him but anyhow I took him to the school board to be tested and got him enrolled in a VPE program at an elementary school.

They have a pretty structured schedule, I made some changes to his eating habits (his iron levels were way low) and most of the problems have gone away. He still has a problem with doing things for an extended period of time - sometimes in the middle of coloring time he'll decide he wants to play with legos instead and he rarely sits still. Even when he sits down he wiggles his arms or legs but hey he's 3. My mom often reminds me that when I was younger, she would send me outside to play because my constant moving would annoy her and I was a lot older than 3

Old 05-03-2009, 01:25 PM

650 posts, read 1,926,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
My son is 3 and his daycare told me he's ADHD. They can't get him to sit down, they can't get him to watch the movies, or play with blocks or color - I'll admit I was more than a little pissed that they decided he was ADHD because they couldn't control him but anyhow I took him to the school board to be tested and got him enrolled in a VPE program at an elementary school.

They have a pretty structured schedule, I made some changes to his eating habits (his iron levels were way low) and most of the problems have gone away. He still has a problem with doing things for an extended period of time - sometimes in the middle of coloring time he'll decide he wants to play with legos instead and he rarely sits still. Even when he sits down he wiggles his arms or legs but hey he's 3. My mom often reminds me that when I was younger, she would send me outside to play because my constant moving would annoy her and I was a lot older than 3
I'm sorry, but what 3 y/o doesn't exhibit symptoms of ADHD? If my child's daycare was "trying to control him", I would have pulled him out of there so fast that their heads would spin!

Again, don't you need to get a diagnosis of ADHD from a neuropsychologist, not a school board? Do they even diagnose kids with this "disorder" when they are only 3?

Of course he has trouble doing things for an extended period of time! HE IS 3! That is just part of being a 3 y/o! I worked in daycares and preschools for years, and the one thing that is common among all 3 y/os is their lack of attention span and their inability to sit still for any length of time.

Maybe your child is bored in his daycare. Maybe they aren't getting outside enough to burn off extra energy. There is no way that I would accept the "diagnosis" of ADHD for my child because he exhibits normal childhood behaviors! Sounds to me like the daycare is the problem, not your child!

Old 05-03-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post
Actually I have walked in your shoes...well they are still mine I suppose but I found an alternative way of handling it. Of ALL the diagnsised and treated ADHD and ADD children in our family (My family is huge and there are a dozen or so), our children have been "worse" than all of them. Imagine a family reunion with a single child jumping in the mud, not being able to sit long enough to fully chew a bite of food, run, run, run, not interact with anyone except herself and then have 50 people nodding when one says..."I told her she will need to put her on meds before school...." It's dishearting.

Everyone told me I was neglectful for not treating my daughter and that I was not qualified to "treat" or school a child like her and that eventually *someone* would call social services on me. I risked losing my child to follow what I knew in my heart...to the benefit of my child. Now I don't hear too much, except from one sister and my mother but after entire life of criticism I turn the other cheek.
I understand and I hope you've found a way that works for you . At least your not saying its not real though, and that's what I took exception to It may not be real for them, but in my life its very real.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:

3 yrs old is too early to diagnose for that. They usually can't know that until they are 5 or 6, because all little kids are hyperactive and nonattentive.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:52 AM

3,422 posts, read 9,436,301 times
Quote:

Sounds like he is better off in that preschool program. My SID child got kicked out of a regular parks and rec preschool because of his impulsivity and energy level (they had 2 adults to 22 kids). He moved to a district preschool program that had 14 kids, one head teacher, two aides, and OT, PT, and SLP services. They knew how to handle his energy, anticipate problems, etc....and could work with me so we kept to "the program" 24 hours a day.

It felt like a much more cooperative arrangement -

instead of: "your son went in time out 4 times today, and ate a crayon, and bothered the kids"

it was: "we have been having trouble with these behaviors (list them) and this is what we are doing to control them. Are you seeing this at home, and what do you do? We think X,Y and Z would be helpful, what do you think?"

I hope you have as positive an experience with the preschool as I did with mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting