U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-04-2009, 03:06 PM
 
Location: Orlando, FL
12,256 posts, read 15,803,636 times
Reputation: 6600

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
I'm sorry, but what 3 y/o doesn't exhibit symptoms of ADHD? If my child's daycare was "trying to control him", I would have pulled him out of there so fast that their heads would spin!

Again, don't you need to get a diagnosis of ADHD from a neuropsychologist, not a school board? Do they even diagnose kids with this "disorder" when they are only 3?

Of course he has trouble doing things for an extended period of time! HE IS 3! That is just part of being a 3 y/o! I worked in daycares and preschools for years, and the one thing that is common among all 3 y/os is their lack of attention span and their inability to sit still for any length of time.

Maybe your child is bored in his daycare. Maybe they aren't getting outside enough to burn off extra energy. There is no way that I would accept the "diagnosis" of ADHD for my child because he exhibits normal childhood behaviors! Sounds to me like the daycare is the problem, not your child!
Oh the school board didn't diagnosis him, the VPE program is like the program before Pre-K, he only goes 1/2 a day but he's doing way better there than he was at daycare. I took him to the school board because I was concerned about his speech and when I questioned the daycare - since they claimed they did educational activities as well - their answer was we can't teach him cause his ADHD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
He moved to a district preschool program that had 14 kids, one head teacher, two aides, and OT, PT, and SLP services. They knew how to handle his energy, anticipate problems, etc....and could work with me so we kept to "the program" 24 hours a day.
Yep that's pretty much what we have at the school now. I think at the daycare they just weren't sure what to do with him but at the school his class only has 12 kids and there's 3 teachers (2 of them are college students but still an adult presence) and they always send home little tips and suggestions to reinforce positive behavior. So far he's been doing a lot better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-04-2009, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Maine
650 posts, read 1,927,536 times
Reputation: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Oh the school board didn't diagnosis him, the VPE program is like the program before Pre-K, he only goes 1/2 a day but he's doing way better there than he was at daycare. I took him to the school board because I was concerned about his speech and when I questioned the daycare - since they claimed they did educational activities as well - their answer was we can't teach him cause his ADHD.

Yep that's pretty much what we have at the school now. I think at the daycare they just weren't sure what to do with him but at the school his class only has 12 kids and there's 3 teachers (2 of them are college students but still an adult presence) and they always send home little tips and suggestions to reinforce positive behavior. So far he's been doing a lot better.
What does VPE stand for? I wasn't able to find any info on them. How are they qualified to make the diagnosis of ADHD? They "can't teach him because of his ADHD"? Sounds more like they don't want to deal with a child acting like a child, to me!

I still believe that any reputable doctor/program would NOT be diagnosing a child that is only 3! I'd get a second opinion if I were you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2009, 04:00 PM
 
3,422 posts, read 9,446,737 times
Reputation: 1957
^^I am willing to bet the VPE did not diagnose him. From my experience with school district preschool, I assume they identified areas of need, and wrote up an IEP. At the preschool level, an area of need can be something like "school readiness". I believe that was our secondary exceptionality behind speech therapy needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2009, 04:22 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
4,677 posts, read 1,837,430 times
Reputation: 900
My 5 year old son was just diagnosed with ADHD. He is a very smart, active boy but at school he would not behave. He is still in preschool because his bday fell after the cut off and he was always hitting, kicking, being violent as they call it to other children. My pediatrician would not run any tests, here they say it is up to a pyschiatrist to do those. All the psych I took him to said it was our parenting and to spend more time with him but all we did was spend time with him outside of work. We tried activities, diff. sleeping hours, etc, etc, etc. . I am not a big fan of meds but in the past month they have switched him fron rydalin to Aderrol and it is a big help at school but I also wonder if he really has ADHD or if they are just naming it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2009, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Maine
650 posts, read 1,927,536 times
Reputation: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmngrl8203 View Post
My 5 year old son was just diagnosed with ADHD. He is a very smart, active boy but at school he would not behave. He is still in preschool because his bday fell after the cut off and he was always hitting, kicking, being violent as they call it to other children. My pediatrician would not run any tests, here they say it is up to a pyschiatrist to do those. All the psych I took him to said it was our parenting and to spend more time with him but all we did was spend time with him outside of work. We tried activities, diff. sleeping hours, etc, etc, etc. . I am not a big fan of meds but in the past month they have switched him fron rydalin to Aderrol and it is a big help at school but I also wonder if he really has ADHD or if they are just naming it?
There are specific tests that a qualified psychologist need to do to determine if it is really ADHD/ADD. If the doctor said that it is NOT either of those disorders, WHY would you put him on medications to treat it? What doctor would prescribe medication for a patient that DOESN'T actually need them?

Drugging your kid in order to make him comply with what the school wants, when the doctor already said that it is a parenting issue borders on abuse, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2009, 08:54 PM
 
20 posts, read 47,736 times
Reputation: 27
I'm sorry but there is NO reason ANY child under the age of 5 should be on any behavior modification drugs. Absolutely silly and un-called for. . What a sad thing. These children are going to either have to grow up and on them for the rest of their lives or they are going to get off of them and not know how to be "themselves" and it's reeeeeaaallly going to screw them up.

Doctors who diagnose and drug so early should feel ashamed and parents should get the hell away and find a damn second third and even fourth opinion. These are your children, not an appliance you "rig" because you don't have the time or money to fix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2009, 09:09 PM
 
Location: Orlando, FL
12,256 posts, read 15,803,636 times
Reputation: 6600
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
What does VPE stand for? I wasn't able to find any info on them. How are they qualified to make the diagnosis of ADHD? They "can't teach him because of his ADHD"? Sounds more like they don't want to deal with a child acting like a child, to me!

I still believe that any reputable doctor/program would NOT be diagnosing a child that is only 3! I'd get a second opinion if I were you.
No, the daycare is the one that said he had ADHD and made that "we can't teach him" comment when I expressed a concern about his speech. The VPE program he is in is just like a regular classroom but he works with a speech therapist 2 days a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
^^I am willing to bet the VPE did not diagnose him. From my experience with school district preschool, I assume they identified areas of need, and wrote up an IEP. At the preschool level, an area of need can be something like "school readiness". I believe that was our secondary exceptionality behind speech therapy needs.
Yep, that's exactly what what happened. They discovered most of his "acting out" was caused by the fact that they couldn't understand him but it's gotten a lot better now. Instead of just going to play with the blocks he says "I want to go play with the blocks NOW"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top