U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 12:35 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,468,971 times

Advertisements

These are really cute. Looks like a lot more fun than the tubs you lay babies down in.
Mom makes a splash selling ‚€˜Tummy Tubs‚€™ - Parenting & Family
United Photos via Reuters file
The Tummy Tub, an infant’s bath that looks like a see-through cross between a bucket and a flowerpot, is used to simulate a womblike environment for infants.
View related photos

Last edited by stormy night; 05-01-2009 at 12:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 01:03 PM

99 posts, read 222,919 times
Those are sold at one of the local stores here. I've seen them used and what is kinda neat is that no matter how young the baby, the tub keeps them upright and so they can get cleaned up and you don't have to deal with sudsy squirmy baby that might slip in the water.

Obviously, supervision is still required but from watching my friend use hers, it seems a lot easier and safer than the lay down tubs that I used with my kids. I didn't even think about soothing womblike comfort to the baby when I saw it, I just thought "Yay! less chance of slippage"

Old 05-01-2009, 01:11 PM

1,747 posts, read 2,621,283 times
I saw them on the Today Show this morning. No matter how it's spun, they still look like clear, handle-less buckets to me. Sure, perhaps they're made of better-for-baby plastic and sure, they have gripper bottoms, reducing the likelihood of tipovers, but they're still basically buckets.

By the same token, given that a bucket at target costs around $5 and these things run about $45, it definitely falls into the "Wish I'da Thought of That" category. I'm sure there are lots of folks who'll buy them.

Baby in a bucket. Whodathunk it?

Old 05-01-2009, 01:22 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,247,279 times
It's called the kitchen sink or bathroom sink.

People honestly gave this woman MONEY for using a plastic bucket?

Rubbermaid bin at WalMart costs $5. Does the same thing.

And why take the joy of them splashing & experiencing the sensation of water?

Old 05-01-2009, 01:34 PM

3,107 posts, read 8,036,986 times
That's been advertised for a few years now on some baby gear websites but I'm guessing it really hasn't taken off as I don't know anyone who actually has used it or the premise.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:48 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,468,971 times
I just thought the babies were cute. I'd use a bucket though for something like this. We used the kitchen sink when the kids were old enough to sit by themselves.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:26 AM

650 posts, read 1,927,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
It's called the kitchen sink or bathroom sink.

People honestly gave this woman MONEY for using a plastic bucket?

Rubbermaid bin at WalMart costs $5. Does the same thing.

And why take the joy of them splashing & experiencing the sensation of water?
No kidding, huh? I don't understand stuff like this! I don't get the Bumbo seat either! Why do parents think that just because it is being marketed as a "must have" item, that it actually is?

Old 05-02-2009, 08:16 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,657,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
No kidding, huh? I don't understand stuff like this! I don't get the Bumbo seat either! Why do parents think that just because it is being marketed as a "must have" item, that it actually is?

Yes. The bumbo seat cracks me up. A friend insisted on it and of course I got it for her because she was really excited about it. Most of the crap out there is worthless. ESPECIALLY anything made by Fisher Price and DEFINITELY the stuff made in Europe that makes some feel like they are being more cultured by buying. It's a joke. .

I do have to admit. Those babies DO look adorable! But I agree they'd be just as cute in a good old fashioned bucket

Old 05-02-2009, 09:01 AM

3,422 posts, read 9,443,352 times
Those babies are so cute. I notice they put the super chubby one in the front to increase the awwww factor.

I had no idea those things cost $45. wowee. Someone is trying to make a lot of money.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:51 AM

758 posts, read 1,596,262 times
Wow very crazy to pay $45 for one. What is a Bumbo seat? I haven't heard of that. We used the kitchen sink way less strain on the ol' back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or