U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 03:50 PM

5,734 posts, read 3,723,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
Maybe get your mom one of those phones that allows her to dial out...

I don't have a pattern for calling my mom, but she only complained about not hearing from me once. I told her that the phone worked both ways. Now she calls me when she wants to speak with me and I call her when I want to speak with her. And it's been working fine.
My husband used to complain that his siblings never called him. His sister told him the same thing. Now sometimes he calls them and sometimes they call him and no one complains anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 04:04 PM

8,012 posts, read 3,958,062 times
I think the frequency with which people are in contact with their parents/children is positively weird. Daily? Don't you all have lives outside of Mamma? I mean if she is infirm, she needs care, no doubt. But cut the apron strings already!

Old 07-09-2012, 04:10 PM

1,163 posts, read 910,956 times
This thread is kind of sad, all the people who say they talk to their parents so infrequently. I guess I was like that in my 20s too, mainly because I'm not much of a phone talker. Even though I lived very close to my mom we'd talk on the phone very infrequently, although our family has many get-togethers so we'd still see each other a good amount and remained close. I guess if I'd moved far away maybe I wouldn't have talked to her very much, and we could've drifted apart. I have a son now who is the love of my life and I'd be sad if we ever grow apart and stop talking much. My mom watches my son now so I see her almost every day, I need to remember to give her a big hug when I see her tomorrow morning.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:54 PM

2,445 posts, read 2,148,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I think the frequency with which people are in contact with their parents/children is positively weird. Daily? Don't you all have lives outside of Mamma? I mean if she is infirm, she needs care, no doubt. But cut the apron strings already!
Well when you live across the US from your mother, you do what you can to keep grandma and grandson connected. My son likes "talking" to his grandma and it helps my mother keep a connection with him. If that means I'm too "connected" to my mother, well, oh well i dont really care.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:14 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,628,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Well when you live across the US from your mother, you do what you can to keep grandma and grandson connected. My son likes "talking" to his grandma and it helps my mother keep a connection with him. If that means I'm too "connected" to my mother, well, oh well i dont really care.
Yep, I agree... Oh well! To each their own. Just because you speak to your mom /parents on a frequent basis doesn't mean you don't have your own life....
I talk to my mom almost every day but I have a very full & busy life outside of my family, who live 7 hours away, btw....

Old 07-09-2012, 06:44 PM

1,074 posts, read 844,359 times
I live across the country from my parents. I very rarely call; maybe on holidays and birthdays. We mostly email and IM, occasionally Skype. I probably FB chat with my dad every week or two, and much less frequently with my mom. Maybe once every month or two? We're really not close. DH's parents (who also live across the country) call maybe once per week.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:37 AM

9,456 posts, read 4,639,815 times
Quote:
I didn't speak to my Mom every day until I had my son. Then, we usually had short, daily conversations ~ she was the only person as interested in him as I was.

I see nothing wrong with phoning your parents once a day - some people actually enjoy interacting with and speaking to their parents.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:44 AM

5,510 posts, read 3,251,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
This thread is kind of sad, all the people who say they talk to their parents so infrequently. I guess I was like that in my 20s too, mainly because I'm not much of a phone talker. Even though I lived very close to my mom we'd talk on the phone very infrequently, although our family has many get-togethers so we'd still see each other a good amount and remained close. I guess if I'd moved far away maybe I wouldn't have talked to her very much, and we could've drifted apart. I have a son now who is the love of my life and I'd be sad if we ever grow apart and stop talking much. My mom watches my son now so I see her almost every day, I need to remember to give her a big hug when I see her tomorrow morning.
Yeah but it's not like there is all the time in the day to do everything you want.
Up at 6-7, to work by 9, home by 5-6:30, then making dinner, cleaning up after dinner, showering, having some downtime. Majority of people go by that type schedule, its a wonder how people have time to do anything.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:58 AM

21,911 posts, read 12,690,128 times
Quote:
Maybe some families actually LIKE each other?

Old 07-10-2012, 10:07 AM

714 posts, read 500,224 times
Quote:
This comment is ridiculous. Having a conversation for a few minutes a day with your parents doesn't mean you have no life or they are controlling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting