U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 05:21 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,235,671 times

Advertisements

I used to call my parents every day when they were alive. My daughter doesn't call me unless she is sick and "needs" me. It should be noted, after her living with me for 26 years, I finally told her she had to move out. She is in Oklahoma, I moved back to Jersey last August.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 05:46 PM

1,082 posts, read 941,108 times
I called my parents once a month. Nothing exciting was happening. They were working. We were were working and raising kids. Due to distance we saw them 3-4 times a year for about 17 years.

The less I hear from my children the better. I'm Facebook friends with all four of them...........

Old 07-20-2012, 07:56 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,827,472 times
I spoke to my Mom just about every day. We had the same sense of humor so I would call her about things I thought were hilarious that no one else would get. She also knew something about everything, especially ingredient substitutions when cooking. I'm not ashamed to say I was lost in so many ways when she died. I don't know how often I picked up the phone without even thinking. If that's weird in someone's eyes - so be it.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:00 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,800,745 times
I talked to my mom fairly often but after she died, I would call my dad but he wasn't one for idle chatter and really I am not either.

I really don't want to talk with anyone too much about how the traffic is, or the weather outside. I don't think calling someone up to talk with how the traffic was or what the little bird outside is doing necessarily makes you closer anyhow.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:16 PM

3 posts, read 9,131 times
So many of you are some cold-hearted people. I can't quite grasp the one from Nebraska who doesn't want to hear from her children?? Doesn't compute...

I (41) speak to my mom (67) often. We live a state away, talk at least 3 times a week. Sometimes we talk every day. Sometimes more than once a day. We see each other 3 or 4 times a year.

My sons are 22 and 15. Both live with me. We have a joke...they will keep in touch or they'll get a knock on their door. I could never live with minimal contact. Family is THE most important thing!

Last edited by Lunazen; 06-05-2014 at 10:24 PM..

Old 06-05-2014, 10:20 PM

3 posts, read 9,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
To those that speak to their parents every day- what do you talk about?

Not knocking it. But other than day at work was fine, teenage child is fine, how is you heart? I just don't have that much to talk about on a daily basis.

We talk about anything friends would talk about. What we did, saw, thought. What we had or are making for dinner. Gardening. Current events. He said she said. My kids. Our friends and what's new with them. We talk anywhere from a few minutes to an hour (usually closer to an hour). We are mother and daughter and we are friends.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:30 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,161,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunazen View Post
So many of you are some cold-hearted people. I can't quite grasp the one from Nebraska who doesn't want to hear from her children?? Doesn't compute...
I searched this whole thread and I didn't find anyone posting from Nebraska.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:30 PM

2,303 posts, read 2,130,373 times
This thread has confirmed something I thought was pretty obvious.

Daughters in general will call their mother more than sons. At the same time, mother's expect to hear from their daughters more.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:46 PM

36,437 posts, read 41,744,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
This thread has confirmed something I thought was pretty obvious.

Daughters in general will call their mother more than sons. At the same time, mother's expect to hear from their daughters more.
I guess we are the exception to that then. Son lives on another continent and he calls about 10 times more frequently than daughter 2 states away. Son and I share political articles all the time through e mail and then he calls to discuss or tell me what his plans are, what new foods he is learning to eat, what exotic place he and his girl friend will be visiting, etc. We never run out of things to discuss. Daughter on the other had is not as chatty about current events or politics so we mostly talk about friends in common. Also her work place is more structured than son's so she doesn't have as much free time during the day that son has. Son is 12 hours behind us so I can expect his calls early in my day which is evening in his.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:14 PM

85,044 posts, read 98,981,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
Personally, I don't think there should be any expectation on when an adult son/daughter should call. You stay in touch out of respect, love and concern for your parent(s). If your mother is concerned about you, is she able to reach you by phone or email? It sounds that if she did either, you would respond. I don't think sending your sister over is appropriate. You are an adult now--staying in touch can be a two-way street. If the expectations feel a bit unreasonable to you, make sure that you don't have an unhealthy boundary with her.

I have an excellent relationship with my mother (always have--I feel very blessed). We don't live near each other and we stay in touch via cards, letters and phone calls. Every phone call and letter is a joy because it isn't in response to an expectation.
Yes, but. . . .When I went off to college in the dark ages, when people still actually wrote letters, my dad told me that when he joined the Navy, then VP Harry Truman told the recruits to write home once a week. He said if the VPOUS could tell him that, he could tell ME to do so. I wrote to my parents once and week and they wrote to me once a week. Back in 1967, you didn't call someone long distance unless someone had died or something else dire. As time went on, the letters became less frequent and the phone calls more frequent, especially once long distance became cheaper, and now, usually free via cell. My own kids usually call about once a week, plus I call them if I really want to talk to them. We also communicate via email and Facebook. DH communicates less with his family, but more now that in years past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting