U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2009, 06:46 PM

24,477 posts, read 28,802,318 times

Advertisements

I think I was afraid that the lactation nurses (no idea if they were LLL or not) would make me feel even worse that I was failing. I was so embarrassed to admit I was having trouble. I did go to them once probably during the first week, and they seemed to think things were going fine. It became obvious after that, that things were not going fine. I wonder if they really knew what they were talking about or not. Still, I wish I'd asked for help at least once more before giving up.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 07:01 PM

650 posts, read 1,928,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I think I was afraid that the lactation nurses (no idea if they were LLL or not) would make me feel even worse that I was failing. I was so embarrassed to admit I was having trouble. I did go to them once probably during the first week, and they seemed to think things were going fine. It became obvious after that, that things were not going fine. I wonder if they really knew what they were talking about or not. Still, I wish I'd asked for help at least once more before giving up.
This is really similar to my story from my first born. I still feel guilty for not giving it one more try, day, etc.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:07 PM

1,747 posts, read 2,623,176 times
Not all agendas involve selling something tangible. Sometimes, the agenda is to promote a certain viewpoint. But y'know what, squabbling over that particular point isn't going to help the OP. I think (I hope) we all want her to do whatever she can to feed her child and to not feel guilty about not being able to nurse, whether she continues to try or not.

As long as she is feeding and attending to her baby, she's not a failure.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:14 PM

12,514 posts, read 13,131,243 times
if you want to nurse you can

if breast milk makes the infant gassy, make sure to eliminate from your own diet: onions and chocolate for starters.

breastfeeding is not rocket science, it is supply and demand
so pumping is not the way to go, because it does not get baby in the habit of nursing

babies are lazy
bottle is easier to get milk from
but babies are also hungry
so keep offering the breast, and baby will nurse, and will get fed.

if you have to nurse every 30 minutes, do it
milk will come in, baby will nurse, and voila! you are breastfeeding
baby is not going to starve

don't let anyone including doctors tell you it can't be done
particularly if baby is "already on the bottle"
it can be done

doctors are well-meaning, but not as knowledgeable in the field as other breastfeeding moms;
i had doctors tell me i couldn't nurse twins because i "wouldn't have enough milk"
hogwash. like i said, simple supply and demand,
the more baby nurses and eats, the more milk comes in.
that's it, not rocket science

best wishes

Old 05-03-2009, 07:25 PM

5,070 posts, read 8,779,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhippiechick View Post
I am a first time mom, my baby was born on 4-15-09 and I have been unable to breastfeed. I am devastated and I can't stop crying...Is anyone out there having similiar issues?? I am so depressed I don't know what to do with myself and I'm afraid I'll always hate myself for not breastfeeding!!!
I don' know much about this problem, but it looks like there was some good advice. Hang in there!

Old 05-03-2009, 09:12 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,963,919 times
I just happened across another thread similar to yours - 2 week old baby, trying to get her back on the breast. There are lots of suggestions, so maybe some of them will also be helpful for you. Baby's 2 wks old.. how hard to relactate? - Breastfeeding Support - DiaperSwappers.com

Old 05-04-2009, 07:16 AM

650 posts, read 1,928,266 times
I think, perhaps, we are all wasting our breath. Has anyone else noticed that the OP only has 1 post and hasn't been back to comment on the thread she started?

Old 05-04-2009, 08:23 AM

1,747 posts, read 2,623,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
I think, perhaps, we are all wasting our breath. Has anyone else noticed that the OP only has 1 post and hasn't been back to comment on the thread she started?
Been happening a lot lately .

Old 05-04-2009, 08:27 AM

2,766 posts, read 8,856,356 times
I'm sorry this is happening and things didn't go the way you planned.

But In my opinion, I think you should count your blessings and stop complaining. You have a HEALTHY baby and some people dont. Some peoples babies never come home from the hospital.

Count your blessings. There are worse things then NOT being able to breastfeed.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:00 AM

12,514 posts, read 13,131,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
I think you should count your blessings and stop complaining. You have a HEALTHY baby and some people dont. Some peoples babies never come home from the hospital.

Count your blessings. There are worse things then NOT being able to breastfeed.
Yes but the pain and disappointment, frustration and concern of a mom who does want to breastfeed is very real, and those feelings are important. To discount them or belittle them does no service to the mother with those very real and valid feelings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or