U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 09:47 PM

650 posts, read 1,929,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmom View Post
I always really liked White Cloud. Wal-Mart carries them, too. Cheapest name brand, and by far the best, IMHO. Pampers caused the rash for my kids, as did the Wal-Mart brand.

~D
I always found that White Cloud and the Wal-Mart brand had a nasty smell in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 12:44 AM

2,466 posts, read 4,212,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmom View Post
I always really liked White Cloud. Wal-Mart carries them, too. Cheapest name brand, and by far the best, IMHO. Pampers caused the rash for my kids, as did the Wal-Mart brand.

~D
Pampers gave my kids rashes too. They didn't have to bad of a rash with the wal-mart brand but a rash none the less. I was thinking at first that White Cloud was the wal-mart brand, then after reading a few posts I remembered wal-mart's brand is Parent's Choice. So Parent's Choice gave them a bit of a rash not the White Cloud, but not like the rashes they got when I used Pampers.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:15 PM

324 posts, read 766,575 times
The cotton cloth stuff...how easily washable is it?
Also, are you not subject to stares if baby seen around in those? I ask because I know they are very common in Africa & I would have thought they'd be viewed as "primitive' in the west.
On the other hand , good to know they are green.
Are they cheaper over time?

Old 05-08-2009, 02:29 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,133,150 times
I like Target because they are more true to the size. What would be really nice is a diaper that stays connected. My 2 year old can open her diaper just by pushing out her belly. When we go away her diaper always falls off. At nap I have to put duck tape over the connectors or I will have a mess.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:00 PM

179 posts, read 449,153 times
Huggies Overnights!

Old 05-08-2009, 07:15 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,972,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebanker View Post
The cotton cloth stuff...how easily washable is it?
Also, are you not subject to stares if baby seen around in those? I ask because I know they are very common in Africa & I would have thought they'd be viewed as "primitive' in the west.
On the other hand , good to know they are green.
Are they cheaper over time?
Cloth diapers are making a comeback. There have been a lot of changes in cloth in the past few years, with cute designs and colors, and various types of easy to use closures (snaps, velcro, snappis) to make them more user friendly (as opposed to the older style prefolds/pins/plastic pants that most people are familiar with). I've noticed that there are more ads for cloth diaper brands in mainstream parenting magazines, and more people switching to cloth on my baby boards (including myself). I think the combination of the bad economy and heightened environmental awareness and the new styles of diapers available are pushing cloth diapering more into the mainstream. If I'm subject to stares, it's more because people think "what a cute diaper!"

They are not hard to wash - I was them mostly the same as my regular clothes, but with less detergent and an extra rinse cycle to make sure to get the soap out, and no dryer sheet. There are certain things you do have to be careful about - like not to use fabric softener or dryer sheets because it will make the diapers less absorbent. Once you have a wash routine, it's not hard though.

They are most certainly cheaper than using disposables in the long-run, especially if you use them on multiple kids. They also have resale value when you are done with them. You can cloth diaper very cheaply if you just use prefolds (~$2 each Green Mountain Diapers: Cloth Diapers), or you can get more expensive pocket diapers (~$18 each bumGenius cloth diapers by Cotton Babies), or you could go with specialty diapers in organic fabrics and beautiful prints (~$35+ each http://shop.thegoodmama.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=96). So the upfront cost may be more, but over time you do save money, especially because you can re-sell them when you are done with them. You can also save money by purchasing your diapers second-hand so that the initial cost is less. I got most of mine used from craigslist or Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com and then I'll be able to sell them back for close to what I paid for them.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:22 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,664,942 times
Just an update. I ended up buying these and returning the Luvs I baught along with the Huggies. Walmart was really cool about letting me return them after being opened and a diaper of each being taken out

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...#ProductDetail

I have used these now the last couple of nights with a flushable liner and they work great!!! I'm still looking around for some tips on how to clean them. One mother suggested vineger. . . . . They are kindof hard to dry but they fit awesome. I'm still using my Gerber ones during the day and now these at night.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:23 PM

2,838 posts, read 8,865,005 times
Wow, I had no idea that Walmart sold Kushies!

You need to line-dry AIOs, or else the dryer will eventually degrade the waterproof outside liner. I just washed mine with my other diapers: A washer full of water, only about a third of the amount of detergent normally used for a load, and warm water/cold rinse. After a couple dozen uses, they might build up a bit of a detergent film (the pee will start to smell awful in them), and that's when you can wash them normally and then run through a cycle with no soap, just vinegar to strip them.

Have fun! The prints available are so cute!

Old 05-09-2009, 07:56 AM

324 posts, read 766,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Cloth diapers are making a comeback. There have been a lot of changes in cloth in the past few years, with cute designs and colors, and various types of easy to use closures (snaps, velcro, snappis) to make them more user friendly (as opposed to the older style prefolds/pins/plastic pants that most people are familiar with). I've noticed that there are more ads for cloth diaper brands in mainstream parenting magazines, and more people switching to cloth on my baby boards (including myself). I think the combination of the bad economy and heightened environmental awareness and the new styles of diapers available are pushing cloth diapering more into the mainstream. If I'm subject to stares, it's more because people think "what a cute diaper!"

They are not hard to wash - I was them mostly the same as my regular clothes, but with less detergent and an extra rinse cycle to make sure to get the soap out, and no dryer sheet. There are certain things you do have to be careful about - like not to use fabric softener or dryer sheets because it will make the diapers less absorbent. Once you have a wash routine, it's not hard though.

They are most certainly cheaper than using disposables in the long-run, especially if you use them on multiple kids. They also have resale value when you are done with them. You can cloth diaper very cheaply if you just use prefolds (~$2 each Green Mountain Diapers: Cloth Diapers), or you can get more expensive pocket diapers (~$18 each bumGenius cloth diapers by Cotton Babies), or you could go with specialty diapers in organic fabrics and beautiful prints (~$35+ each http://shop.thegoodmama.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=96). So the upfront cost may be more, but over time you do save money, especially because you can re-sell them when you are done with them. You can also save money by purchasing your diapers second-hand so that the initial cost is less. I got most of mine used from craigslist or Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com and then I'll be able to sell them back for close to what I paid for them.
Thanks for anwering my questions. You are the best!

Wow it never occured to me you could resell them once done with them.

Concening the washing, this might be gross but I'll still try. They must be a lot of baby faeces there so do you still dunk them in the washer just like that or do you first fight with the faeces with your own hands? I imagine the washing up cant be that easy. All those faeces do they not clog washer over time/

Old 05-09-2009, 09:12 AM

2,838 posts, read 8,865,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebanker View Post
Thanks for anwering my questions. You are the best!

Wow it never occured to me you could resell them once done with them.

Concening the washing, this might be gross but I'll still try. They must be a lot of baby faeces there so do you still dunk them in the washer just like that or do you first fight with the faeces with your own hands? I imagine the washing up cant be that easy. All those faeces do they not clog washer over time/

Little babies, especially breastfed babies, tend to have very liquidy poops, so there's nothing to really rinse off. For bigger babies, you dump any solid waste into the toilet first. Some people use disposable or fleece liners to avoid the whole problem... again, just flush the solid stuff.

I personally stopped cloth diapering when my daughter was about 20 months old, because her stinky toddler poo was just too much for me to deal with anymore. Some people do cloth diaper until the kids potty train, but that wasn't something that I, personally, wanted to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting