U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 08:36 AM

2,212 posts, read 4,494,638 times

Advertisements

I used Huggies for my first and Luvs for my second. Both seem to work fine and neither can prevent the occassional blowout.

Just as an FYI, I am rather upset because for nearly a year, I've purchased Luvs. I get the big box of size 3s now for my daughter and I noticed that they used to have 102 diapers in a box and now they only have 92. That's 10 less for the exact same price. They're still the cheapest of the name brands, but it is upsetting because that is at least nearly 2 days worth of diapers that are now missing and over a year, that's almost enough diapers for a month! They repackaged the box, now have a little statement that this box will save you more money than buying the "jumbo" pack, but as someone on a budget, I find it obnoxious that these companies can just repackage their box and think that no one will notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 09:23 AM

427 posts, read 1,210,779 times
Huggies Night-time Pull-ups. Technically not diapers, but they work so much better. A little more expensive but worth it in the long run, cause you have less laundry.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:28 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,954,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Little babies, especially breastfed babies, tend to have very liquidy poops, so there's nothing to really rinse off. For bigger babies, you dump any solid waste into the toilet first. Some people use disposable or fleece liners to avoid the whole problem... again, just flush the solid stuff.
Yah that. My toddler only wears diapers for overnight and doesn't poop in them. And my infant is exclusively breastfed. So I don't have to do anything special for poops. Once they start solids (or formula, but not applicable to me) then you flush the poop in the toilet. Some people swish and flush, and others use a diaper sprayer, or a disposable liner. Believe it or not though, you are apparently supposed to do the same with poops in disposable diapers - it's just that nobody actually does it. (Not supposed to put human waste in the landfill)

Old 05-09-2009, 12:35 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,954,304 times
Quote:
Wow, I had no idea that Walmart sold Kushies!
Yep, and Target sells bumGenius too!

Quote:
You need to line-dry AIOs, or else the dryer will eventually degrade the waterproof outside liner. I just washed mine with my other diapers: A washer full of water, only about a third of the amount of detergent normally used for a load, and warm water/cold rinse. After a couple dozen uses, they might build up a bit of a detergent film (the pee will start to smell awful in them), and that's when you can wash them normally and then run through a cycle with no soap, just vinegar to strip them.
Not necessarily. I put my PUL stuff in the dryer as do lots of people. There are differences of opinion on that. Some people will say that vinegar will ruin your PUL too. (I still use it now and then too). I only dry my stuff in the sun if it's stained - it does remove the stains quite well. Otherwise, it all goes in the dryer.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:45 PM

758 posts, read 1,595,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Yah that. My toddler only wears diapers for overnight and doesn't poop in them. And my infant is exclusively breastfed. So I don't have to do anything special for poops. Once they start solids (or formula, but not applicable to me) then you flush the poop in the toilet. Some people swish and flush, and others use a diaper sprayer, or a disposable liner. Believe it or not though, you are apparently supposed to do the same with poops in disposable diapers - it's just that nobody actually does it. (Not supposed to put human waste in the landfill)

You know I just noticed that on the diaper packaging. I can't believe that I have used diapers on and off for the last 15yrs and never noticed that youy weren't supposed to leave the poops in there.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:37 PM

2,838 posts, read 8,844,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Yep, and Target sells bumGenius too!

Not necessarily. I put my PUL stuff in the dryer as do lots of people. There are differences of opinion on that. Some people will say that vinegar will ruin your PUL too. (I still use it now and then too). I only dry my stuff in the sun if it's stained - it does remove the stains quite well. Otherwise, it all goes in the dryer.
LOL, I did put my AIOs in the dryer, and I'd say that after a year's time they were starting to not be as waterproof. I always assumed it was the dryer, but who knows? Maybe it was the vinegar!

Old 05-09-2009, 09:52 PM

5,340 posts, read 12,344,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
For those of you using diapers or remember your experience with them, what is the best brand for a toddler?

My 13 month old just started waking with a soaking diaper that leaks out of her back and gets her sheets all wet!! I was using cloth but occasionally used Pampers Cruisers because they are so soft. I thought maybe she was drinking too much before bed so she only has two oz of water at dinner around 5pm and I nurse her at 6:30 then bed at 8pm. She always has a fresh diaper on at that time. Sometimes, if I awake in the middle of the night I will sneak in and change her. But she STILL is soaked in the morning!!!

Does anyone know of any diapers that pull wetness to the front or hold more?
When my youngest was in diapers (a while ago!) I found Pampers Cruisers LEAKED. Even Pampers Baby-Dri (which was my favorite) leaked. While I HATED Huggies... I loved Huggies Overnight and they tended to work the best for this issue.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:49 PM

324 posts, read 764,726 times
Quote:
Little babies, especially breastfed babies, tend to have very liquidy poops, so there's nothing to really rinse off. For bigger babies, you dump any solid waste into the toilet first. Some people use disposable or fleece liners to avoid the whole problem... again, just flush the solid stuff.

I personally stopped cloth diapering when my daughter was about 20 months old, because her stinky toddler poo was just too much for me to deal with anymore. Some people do cloth diaper until the kids potty train, but that wasn't something that I, personally, wanted to do.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting