U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 02:21 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,468,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
Why don't everyone take a look at these crime rates and population size within the United States starting in 1960- 2007. Then you can all decide whether or not it is just as safe or safer today for our kids than it was when we were kids.
United States Crime Rates 1960 - 2007

Take notice that the population in 1960 was aprox. 179,323,175 and the violent crime rate alone was 288,460. Now, take a look at the aprox. population size in 2007 it was 301,621,157 and the violent crime rate alone was 1,408,337. The population size from 1960 -2007 is less than doubled but the violent crime rate alone has almost increased 5 times that.

I don't know about anyone else, but I would definately say that our kids are even less safe than what we were growing up. So regardless of what the person who wrote the article in the OP says, I am going to worry about my kids. I will teach them all that they need to know to keep themselves safe and prepared for the world around them, but I will be doing it while keeping them a little closer to my chest than what my parents did when I was growing up.
Those statistics are overall crime primarily against adults and property. They don't break down crimes against children, so how can you say by that, that kids are less safe? You can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 03:19 PM

2,466 posts, read 4,204,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Those statistics are overall crime primarily against adults and property. They don't break down crimes against children, so how can you say by that, that kids are less safe? You can't.
Okay then take a look at these statistics:

Crimes Against Children Research Center

Old 05-15-2009, 03:38 PM

Wyo, according to that, crime against children has DECREASED by 50% in the last 10 years.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Wyo, according to that, crime against children has DECREASED by 50% in the last 10 years.
I would bet you dollars to doghnuts that the decrease is due to parents being a bit more protective of their kids and not letting them wander the streets alone at all hours of the day and night like they did back in the 60's and 70's. Once the media started reporting crimes against children and people in general it made more folks aware of the dangers out there.

The first set of statistics I posted showed that crime was increasing and the early 90's saw a the largest increase in crimes reaching a peak in crimes. That is when we also saw a huge increase in media coverage. I don't think media has enlarged on the dangers that lurk behind every corner, they have instead made us more aware and more cautious. The crime rates are dropping yes, but they are still higher today than what they were when we were kids. As long as parents and people take precautions and stay on the look out for potential danger the crime rate will continue to drop, but if we go back to the days of foot loose and fancy free, I strongly believe the crime rates will increase again.

During the early 90's most of us were still in the lull of feeling we were safe as the media wasn't reporting the increase in crimes so we took little precautions just like we and our parents did when we were growing up. To give a bit of an anology: Say everyone in your nieghborhood leaves their keys in their cars because after living there for say 10 years they have never had a car stolen they have been lulled into feeling safe because if it hasn't happened yet it's never going to happen. Well eventually word gets out to the car thieves that your neighborhood is a smorgus board of cars just waiting to be stolen. Then one day you and your neighbors wake up to find some your cars are gone. So now you and your neighbors take precautions and start locking up and removing the keys from your cars so the car thefts decline. If you and your neighbors fail to take precautions after the first few cars get stolen believing the odds of it happening again are slim to none you will most likely continue to see a rash of stolen cars in your neighborhood.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:24 PM

But the subject is worrying about kids playing and being kids. The links you found are overall crime against adults and property mostly. The people who do crimes against adults and property aren't usually interested in kids, so those stats don't matter.

Kids losing their lives due to crime against them is minimal compared to kids losing their lives due to riding in the family car with mom.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
But the subject is worrying about kids playing and being kids. The links you found are overall crime against adults and property mostly. The people who do crimes against adults and property aren't usually interested in kids, so those stats don't matter.

Kids losing their lives due to crime against them is minimal compared to kids losing their lives due to riding in the family car with mom.
There are very little statistics out there about crimes against children for a couple of reasons 1) they were not reported properly or kept as close track of 2) they lumped them in with the rest of the crime statistics. The FBI since 1998 started a branch that focuses on crimes against children and are now doing a better job of keeping track of these crimes. The police depts. are also starting to do a better job of filing them properly and reporting them to the FBI and Criminal Justice Dept. But their statistics are still far from complete because not all police depts. are on board. Only 26% of the nations police dept. reports crimes against children to the FBI and Criminal Justice Dept.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:27 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,086,895 times
I thnik that people ovwerall sense danger pretty well still. I doubt many believe that this wrold isn't more dangerous than it use to be just a few years ago. just look at the problems in schools that have speread to even colleges now.Its the responsiblity for p[arents as ever to worry about their children.Children can make some terrible mistales iof youy don't.Do you think your as safe as say in teh 50-60's. i live thru that era :and i don't/ In fact i can say that when I was going to school that even marijuana was not that common really where i lived. Seldom did anyone get hurt at school lie now.i mean I naver heard of a mugging as being common until teh late 60's.Gangs in school were unheard of where i lived. Its a different world now days and not many beleiev its not.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:06 PM

12,715 posts, read 11,199,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
So many children get grabbed, go missing, get run over, get knifed by some gang......am I being overcautious?
No, so many don't, is exactly the point. The number of children that happens to is actually vanishingly small. The media culture and politicians, however, have learned that it pays to keep shoving those things in our face 24/7. A constantly scared person is a person with low sales resistance.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:32 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,613,725 times
Much of the increase in the likelihood of victimhood arises from the fact that more and more people live in an urban envronment. If you have chosen to raise your children in a large metropolitan high-crime high-drug area, your children will pay for your decision, by either loss of freedom and trust, or by higher risk of being a victim. If you cared about your children, you would get out of the city, and raise them in a place where they are free to run safely. But you don't care about them that much, do you?

Old 05-16-2009, 02:05 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,656,886 times
I think that we think it is more dangerous than it actually is. This is becuase of the media. If something happens somewhere in the world it is reported and we see it on TV and we start to think that this could happen to me. As the media only report the abnormal, pretty soon we start to thing the normal is the abnormal. Or is that the abnormal is normal.

It is my understanding that the liklihood of a child being abducted is very very very small.

The liklihood of a child being molested by a teacher / coach / church leader / scout leader is now almost zero compared with what went on when we were kids and seems to fill the courts and news today. This is because these institutions have implemented checks and every one is watching everyone else and of course when a complaint is made, things are actually investigated.

The most likely person to molest a child is the male parent molesting either their own kid or a friend of one of their kids. ie there is an existing relationship between the adult and child. ie the likelyhood of molestranger is very low.

So my approach is to try to sit back and let the kids have some freedom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or