Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 09:55 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,537,332 times

Advertisements

As parents I 'm more interested in education about this Flu instead of panic. But with that said if this does keep spreading as they say it will how many parents think that schools should just close for the year. I just heard the Ft. Worth schools in Texas are closing until May 11. That is like 80,000 kids. Kids are so great at spreading germs, they cough on each other, they touch everything. What do other parents think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 10:15 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,227,861 times
This worries me when it comes to the lower class people which is pretty much all of us. I worry that the parents are going to have to either stay home (not get paid, use up sick days and so on) or the parents are just going to send them somewhere else (daycare, babysitters).

What are the working class supposed to do????? So they stay home, loose their jobs, don't get paid then they loose their homes, which is happening already. Then what? They are stuck in the street with a pandemic going on?????

I guess that would be the BEST thing to do? We have the power to stop/slow the spread, it's just something that not many people CAN do, you know?

I'm lucky I stay at home. I wouldn't mind taking care of a couple of the kids in my family. We are lucky. Not many are. Many parents HAVE to work.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:22 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,537,332 times
I homeschool two of my kids and my 16 year old goes to High School. They sent a paper home today about the flu. I worked in schools and daycares many years and I know that no matter how much teachers try and keep the gerens down kids just pass germs. I know that people can't just stay home if the kids don't have school. I know most couples can't just stay home the whole family if one person in the house gets sick, you need a imcome. If they end up putting restrictions on schools then employers should do something as well. We all need to lean a bit to get through this.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:24 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,859,032 times
Yes, kids are big spreader of germs. But so are adults. I don't know how many times I have seen adult women walk out of a bathroom without even going anywhere close to the sink. I understand a lot of men do the same thing. So if they aren't washing their hands after they use the bathroom, what else are they doing that can help spread germs?

It isn't going to stop the spread of germs by shutting down schools. You still have places like parks, gymnastics, dance class, karate class, shopping centers, daycares....etc. that will still be germy. I think the best idea is to keep schools open and really teach kids how to wash their hands, cough into their shoulders or a tissue, blow their noses into a tissue instead of onto the street or sidewalk or their sleeves, not to share cups or eating utensils, not spit all over the place...etc. instead of just glancing over those things. Then parents can further instill these sanitary skills at home.

My 12yo learned proper sanitary techniques when she was in pre-school and it was something they worked on and discussed daily. But once she got into elementary and higher the subject of hygene and being sanitary has not had as much focus. It has just been casually discussed for a week tops but there was never any follow through on the schools part. I remember when I was in early elementary we always had to line up at the classroom sink and wash our hands before we went to lunch. I have never once heard my children having to do that except for when my 12yo was in preschool.

We would probably reduce the number of sick kids every year by at least a 1/2 if not more if schools stressed the importance of washing hands.

These three things alone would be a big number reducer 1) If all kids had to line up and wash hands before going to lunch. 2) having them either use a hand sanitizer or wash their hands when they will be working together in groups sharing things like crayons or markers. 3) if they had the kids use hand sanitizers or washed their hands after recess.

I know that all of these things can and should be taught by parents and I know a lot of parents teach their children these things, but when there is no back up or assistance in the one place that kids spend the biggest part of their time, kids tend to forget to wash their hands, cough into their shoulders, not to spit all over the place...etc.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:54 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,064 times
What do parents do when kids have vacations from school? They will do the same thing if/when school is closed for this flu. The schools routinely have days off because of weather, what do parents do then? We all make it work somehow.

Wyoquilter, lining up to wash hands works for a classroom that has it's own sink, but most middle schools and no high schools have a sink in every room. Kids would be missing lunch altogether if they had to line up to wash in the two or three bathrooms the school has to accommodate them. Imagine 1,500 or more kids lining up at 6 bathrooms to all wash hands before they eat. It would take hours.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:13 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,859,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
What do parents do when kids have vacations from school? They will do the same thing if/when school is closed for this flu. The schools routinely have days off because of weather, what do parents do then? We all make it work somehow.

Wyoquilter, lining up to wash hands works for a classroom that has it's own sink, but most middle schools and no high schools have a sink in every room. Kids would be missing lunch altogether if they had to line up to wash in the two or three bathrooms the school has to accommodate them. Imagine 1,500 or more kids lining up at 6 bathrooms to all wash hands before they eat. It would take hours.
Well in cases like that, the kids can get a squirt of hand sanitizer on their way out the door.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:16 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,227,861 times
Quote:

I'm worried about two things. One, how in the he** can middle and lower classes take off work and make their mortgage payments??? And two, if they close schools people are just going to send the kids somewhere else like daycares or babysitters. Sounds like a new business. Can't send your kids to school or daycare, send them to Trisha's down the street?

Old 04-30-2009, 08:56 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:

There are typically camps and activities for kids during school breaks. If the schools are closed to prevent kids from spreading the flu many camps and the like probably will not happen.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:21 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
There are typically camps and activities for kids during school breaks. If the schools are closed to prevent kids from spreading the flu many camps and the like probably will not happen.
What would a parent do if their kids were sick with a cold, or chickenpox, or strep or the flu that goes around each year, or pinkeye, or anything else that goes around and kids pick up throughout the school year?

Honestly, we're not talking months here.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:22 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,753,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
As parents I 'm more interested in education about this Flu instead of panic. But with that said if this does keep spreading as they say it will how many parents think that schools should just close for the year. I just heard the Ft. Worth schools in Texas are closing until May 11. That is like 80,000 kids. Kids are so great at spreading germs, they cough on each other, they touch everything. What do other parents think.
Sure, close 'em. Because when kids are out of school they NEVER play with other kids or come into contact with anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting