U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 04:57 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,653,749 times

Advertisements

There have been a couple of threads recently where people are saying hang on its OK to let kids run free. But there are still parents who in my opinion are very protective. They think that they are doing the right thing and maybe they are.

What example have you seen or heard of that are too over protective, too over parented, too pushy. In your opinion.? And what drives it. Again in your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 05:22 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,239,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
But there are still parents who in my opinion are very protective. They think that they are doing the right thing and maybe they are.
When protective turns into obsessive & paranoid. Then, there is a problem.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:28 PM

756 posts, read 1,945,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
There have been a couple of threads recently where people are saying hang on its OK to let kids run free. But there are still parents who in my opinion are very protective. They think that they are doing the right thing and maybe they are.

What example have you seen or heard of that are too over protective, too over parented, too pushy. In your opinion.? And what drives it. Again in your opinion.

I am considered "overprotective" because I make sure that there is a parent home when my 16 year old goes to a friends house on a weekend night! No parent home, not allowed to go!

Old 05-05-2009, 12:26 AM

35 posts, read 86,099 times
i've 2 children with mental health issues.i'm over protective but when a 12 yr old acts like a 2 yr old without supervision, you have to be.
the parents i know who are very relaxed all have teens who sleep around and don't have stable relationships.children and teens feel safer with rules and appropriate supervision

Old 05-05-2009, 09:16 AM

2,466 posts, read 4,201,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
When protective turns into obsessive & paranoid. Then, there is a problem.
Sounds much like my mother-in-law. She was never paranoid or obsessed about things when her boys were growing up and she didn't care if they wandered the streets all day. The only thing she never let them do was spend the night at a friend's house. But now that she is a grandmother she is constantly on the phone or up at our house telling us to lock up our kids because some kid three states away was abducted. She litterally panics at the thought of our three youngest even being in the front yard to check the mail alone.

She is so paranoid, that she is constantly making it sound as if my DH and I do not know how to parent. She thinks we are bad parents when we let our kids go and sleep over at a friend's house. The sad truth is, our kids are probably safer in our yard front or back than they are in hers. We keep trying to remind her that we have tons of safe gaurds in and around our home and we have explained over and over again to our children how to deal with strangers and anyone else who makes them feel scared or uncomfortable.

Some would say I'm a bit over protective of my kids and I do worry about my kids being abducted, but not to the extent of my mother-in-law's idea of protection or paranoia. She has gone completely off her rocker.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:38 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,265,717 times
Whn your hiding behind every tree with binoculars, then your being over protective.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:48 AM

756 posts, read 1,945,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Whn your hiding behind every tree with binoculars, then your being over protective.
Dang, I'm busted! Really, I was looking at my neighbors!

Old 05-05-2009, 10:27 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,966,446 times
Flipping out about a 10-year-old girl going to a tanning salon, as if she were taking stripper aerobic lessons or something.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:29 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,265,717 times
ya they could be into worse things, huh

Old 05-05-2009, 10:44 AM

1,268 posts, read 3,636,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcfamily View Post
I am considered "overprotective" because I make sure that there is a parent home when my 16 year old goes to a friends house on a weekend night! No parent home, not allowed to go!
That's called being responsible - not overprotective! You're doing the right thing. There's too many negative outlets for teenagers these days, and IMO there are too many parents who give their children far too many choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or