U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:34 PM

21,141 posts, read 22,118,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
I need new eyes, new glasses, new brain...I swear that's not the same article I read when I posted but I see no dated amendment.

Scary Mom gets a pass. Unmanned tanning beds are asinine.
Glad it's not just me. I don't remember that info being there either....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 08:44 PM

4,264 posts, read 7,932,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Glad it's not just me. I don't remember that info being there either....
If you follow the OP's link and scroll down to the bottom of that small excerpt it says "click here to read more on this story." That is where the expanded story was.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:41 AM

153 posts, read 487,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
Did you read the entire article? The Mother did not take her daughter there. She went on her own to a coin operated salon because the original place she was going to was closed.
Physically taking her in, or not, a 10 year old is a little kid and a parent should probably know where they are and what they're doing all of the time. I can see if this was a teenager, but not 10.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:22 AM

266 posts, read 757,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight melvin View Post
Physically taking her in, or not, a 10 year old is a little kid and a parent should probably know where they are and what they're doing all of the time. I can see if this was a teenager, but not 10.
I was just going to write this same exact thing. I mean come on! If you are a responsible parent how do you not know where your ten year old child is.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:49 PM

2,707 posts, read 4,652,727 times

Old 05-06-2009, 02:05 PM

35 posts, read 86,185 times
it was on gmtv.the girl wanted to look like mum,but went with older cousin when her mum thought she was at the fair.
but mum's at fault for setting her daughter a bad example,i thought she looked very 1980's!
shows how careful we have to be as parents eg dieting,unequal relationships with parteners,attitudes to drink etcchildren ,consiously and unconsiously pick up on it all.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:38 PM

1,122 posts, read 1,967,794 times
This story is just shocking. Like a parent who does drugs, drinks, or smokes, the child is more inclinded to copy the behavior...at an increasingly and alarmingly younger ages. What's wrong with a a child looking like themselves and being happy with who they are? Why do they feel the need to make their skin darker.

Kinda off topic...but saw a Spongebob episode about how no one could go to a party unless they were tan. The whole joke was how ridiculous they looked and how they sounded like leather when they moved.

Quote:

A Tanning Addiction | Psych Central News

New research discovers that tanning may be addictive for some individuals, a behavior tied to the release of endorphins from UV light.

“We also know from previous experiments that UV light causes endorphin release, similar to the euphoric sensation associated with intense exercise commonly referred to as ‘runner’s high’ or other pleasure-seeking behavior.

Dr. Hornung added that almost half (41 percent) of the students who tan reported doing so to relax, which is a strong motivating factor that has been noted by numerous studies examining tanning behaviors and also is consistent with other addictive practices.
Quote:
Summer Safety Dos and Don'ts of Tanning - ABC News

The rate of melanoma in children 18 and under increased 84 percent from 1975 to 2005. Doctors say the probable cause is exposure to ultraviolet light, both from direct sunlight and indoor tanning beds. The Department of Health and Human Resources has actually classified ultraviolet light as a known carcinogen.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:20 AM

3,047 posts, read 7,968,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight melvin View Post
...and notice how pale and freckly she is anyways! She obviously doesnt have skin that tans well, what foolish act this was. Shame on her mother!
They're from England! That's all I needed to know. No one in England tans well. It's more cloudy there than Seattle.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:24 AM

153 posts, read 487,261 times
Ok, not everyone in England is white, pale and freckly...

Old 05-07-2009, 01:22 PM

24,469 posts, read 28,744,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katy68 View Post
it was on gmtv.the girl wanted to look like mum,but went with older cousin when her mum thought she was at the fair.
but mum's at fault for setting her daughter a bad example,i thought she looked very 1980's!
shows how careful we have to be as parents eg dieting,unequal relationships with parteners,attitudes to drink etcchildren ,consiously and unconsiously pick up on it all.
I agree. Mom set a bad example, and should have known where her daughter was. I've never heard of an unmanned tanning salon. Do we even have those in the US?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or